mtbr member
    Oct 2005

04 Stumpy bearing issue

I have a customer that has to replace thier piviot bearings every 10 rides or so. Has anybody eles had this issue and could tell me how to solve it for them?

...idios...
    Replace why? Is is possible that they're spraying lube (WD40?) between rides?
    How exactly are the bearings failing?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I am unsure as the bike is 200 miles away from me. But this customer always comes to me to solve problems. I will be asking him more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Customer much be doing something wrong. I've replaced the bearings on my 04 FSR about once each year.

Also, replacing them so often probably may also cause wear on the bearing-holders (hold you call them) in the frame further increasing the problem (crap may get in between).

The shock-bushing wears quicker, may need replacing about once per 6 months.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    Replace why? Is is possible that they're spraying lube (WD40?) between rides?
    How exactly are the bearings failing?
    Is there a big problem with WD40 on the bearings? I took my '04 stumpy back the store for creaky rear susp, they sprayed it on all points and tightened them as far as possible. I had my doubts, but he said to trust him, I assumed he knew more than me. Now that the one year suspension warranty is over, I guess im stuck with it in any case.

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004
    WD4 is a water and lubricant displacer. So yes, it's a problem because it removes any lubrication the bearings have and then dries up itself and goes away leaving nothing to lubricate the bearings. You use WD4 to clean then, then rinse it with water, then repack the bearings with a grease.

...idios...
    "Is there a big problem with WD40 on the bearings?"

To add to what Leadghost said, WD40 (Water Displacer 40, the '40' being how many attempts it took to perfect their ingredients) is best used a a solvent. Yes, it'll displace water, but it's lubrication works by freeing 'gunk' (sadly, that incudes any good grease that may be in a component) with its solvent; the solvent then evaporates, assuming its exposed to the air, leaving behind a light oil. Apart from the light oil being entirely unsuitable for bearings (in fact pretty much anywhere on a bike), it will also attract a great deal of much dust an dirt. Any solvent that is left behind will 'dilute' an fresh grease that is applied. If you do ever use WD40 for its solvent properties, always remove every last trace with Isopropyl Alcohol. Water is useless at washing it away because, well, WD40 displaces water.
    If your pivot bearings have been 'serviced' with WD40, you may want to look into a bearing rebuild/replacement sometime soon. You may also want to look into finding a new bike shop.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses, sorry about the thread hijack Anyone have a quick how-to on doing a repack?
    So what I can see from the outside are just plastic covers, and they pop off to expose the bearings? Can I do it without pressing out the bearings?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yes, just pry off the seal with a needle, possibly clean them with a degreaser and put some grease back in, no need to take them out. If you where to take them out anyway you might as well replace them with new ones.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Not sure about if this has been posted but i had a 04 and....
    1) eyelet bolt broke a few times...check this for brakes/wallowing out
    2)bearing getting crushed b/c of play in the rear linkage
    3)eyelet ring wears out FAST... best thing to do is order a few of them

mtbr member
    One thing I noticed about tearing down my 04sj was that the rear triangle is a bit cocked. Ive done the bearings twice and each time still a bit cocked to one side. Ive heard this from another sj owner as well. This may be leading to increaddes bearing wear. Like Steve said stay away from wd40. Sounds like you need to do a bearing job (replacement, not pack)

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks