mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Is an 04 s-works enduro right for me?

I'm currently in the market for a new trail bike and came across a really cheap deal for an 04 S-works enduro frame with Brain shock. Is the enduro suitable for a trail bike or is it more freeride? I tend to ride a lot of fireroad, all sort of windy, rooty, loose, rocky singletrack. I only take drops up to 3-4' at most. I come from more of a xc background but would like a bike that I could grow into and progress into all-mountain. If it helps I'm from the Bay Area and ride at Mt.Diablo, Joaquin Miller, Redwood Park, Tilden, Wildcat Canyon, Black Diamond Mines, Rockville, and Auburn. I'd like a bike I can also take to Downieville, maybe Northstar if I feel like a little downhill. Any help would be great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    the enduro is an awesome trailbike in my opinion, and can easily do a little extra when needed. the bike feels incredibly fast and stable to me. i use it mostly for crosscountry and a little freeride here and there. to me the 04 is a classic yet only 3 years old, here in newengland the bike absolutely can fly through the rooty rocky x country trails, the brain is awesome in those conditions, i often look at my rear tire because at speed when i go over roots it often feels like i have a flat, in a good way. if you can get a deal on one get it, if you want more allmountain ability throw a pike on it. without a doubt an awesome, fun, capable bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    sounds like its the bike for you and a great deal, go for it

dirt visionary
    enduro= cross country, all mountain and light freeride all depending on build

Huh?
    I have an 03 Comp and it has eaten everything I have given it with room to spare. But the bearings are wearing out in mine (after never being replaced in over 4 years of use).

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

if you are buying the enduro from craigs list DONT BUY IT my freind found a sick s-works enduro w/ brain shock and he sent the $ order to some guy in florida - turns out it was a scam and he was down a few grand. if you are getting the bike make sure you can go to see it before purchasing it and if you are asked to use western union DONT BUY IT it is a scam

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJester68
    I'm currently in the market for a new trail bike and came across a really cheap deal for an 04 S-works enduro frame with Brain shock. Is the enduro suitable for a trail bike or is it more freeride? I tend to ride a lot of fireroad, all sort of windy, rooty, loose, rocky singletrack. I only take drops up to 3-4' at most. I come from more of a xc background but would like a bike that I could grow into and progress into all-mountain. If it helps I'm from the Bay Area and ride at Mt.Diablo, Joaquin Miller, Redwood Park, Tilden, Wildcat Canyon, Black Diamond Mines, Rockville, and Auburn. I'd like a bike I can also take to Downieville, maybe Northstar if I feel like a little downhill. Any help would be great.
    I'd say go for it!

I have been riding an 04 s-works enduro since early 05. It's the full eom build with XTR/Crossmax setup. The bike has been awesome. It is so efficient for climbing that I am surprised at some of the stuff I can climb. Others have noticed how efficient it pedals just taking it for a parking-lot spin.

Also, the brain shock is easily adjustable (with 5 detents you can feel) and has an awesome range of adjustment... I leave it in the middle for most riding. If I am looking at an extended fire-road climb, I set it to firm (It gets so firm that sometimes my back starts to ache) or if I am doing some downhill, I set it on full soft.

With the rear at full-firm and the TALAS fork set to 4" travel mode, it pedals hardtail-firm.

With the TALAS at full travel and the brain set to soft, it's ready for light freeride/downhill and some small drops (3-4 feet).

I have taked it to Northstar three times this year and it hasn't missed a beat. Rode Flameout which is a rough black-diamond trail and it handled everything I could throw at it.

I am also from the Bay Area and ride from UCSC, to skeggs, to demo, to Fremont older and arastradero, saratoga gap, long ridge, and skyline. So I am 80% XC rider.

My only complaint is that the brain causes the rear shock to ride a bit high in the stroke, which is usually not an issue, but when you point the bike down a steep-hill, the fork compresses into it's travel when the brain does not and the head angle gets kinda steep.

Not an issue except for Northstar's livewire trail, when you g-out on the huge berms, the bike's handling becomes a little twitchy. Then it takes a little more concentration to hold a line and not over-steer.

The bike's good enough that even thoug I test rode an 07 s-works enduro SL at a local trail, As much as I LOVED the feel of the 07, I don't know what I am getting over my current ride, even at spending $7k on the new one. I even had the money to buy the 07, but couldn't justify it to myself.

The SL is stiffer and might be a little better down-hill (68 degree head tube angle) and it has 6" travel front and rear (wasn't a huge improvement in feel over the 5" travel of the 04), but I am not sure if it can climb as efficiently as the 04...

I hope that helps...

Oh, I also had my 04 talas pushed so it feels WAY better than the OEM talas. only way to describe it is it stays in contact with the bumps for great braking and steering traction.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    It's a great bike, I had an 03 but moved on the the 06 just because I wanted a bit more travel. It wasn't a must, but most of my riding is more techy with drops so the travel was welcome. If you can really get a smokin deal I say go for it.

Just a FYI, that model had cracked seat stays, so you want to be careful not being the original owner. If you can get a copy of the invoice for warranty purposes I would highly suggest it.

wretch
    Ive ridden the 04 S works. . .Im currently on an '06 Pro and I love it, it handles everything I throw at it. I just moved from Tahoe to Scottsdale. . . I threw every trail in Tahoe at it and it was fine, im 6'2 - 210 and Ive thrown it off drops and hucks atleast 5 to 6 feet. Northstar eh eh, you can have fun at northstar and work hard on your all mountain bike, or you can ride a downhill rig and really have a blast. For most of the trail riding though, even Karpiel the Enduro tackled it, but I dont think you can have the same flow and rhythm that you would have on a bike with more travel. So for everything except the gnarly **** at N* the Enduro kicks ass. If you check out my avatar thats the Enduro getting a pounding (and my head). . . Damaged the seat and that was it.
    Last edited by Truckee Trash; 11-02-2007 at 09:21 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0