mtbr member
    Feb 2005

'04 Epic comp on singletrack?

hey all,
    i just bought an '04 epic comp disc and im wondering how it handles technical singletrack?
    im just about to do a few technical XC races and im wondering if i should use it or my Jamis dakar XC comp. The Dakar decends wonderfully, but i know the epic will climb much better, so im curious about the epic.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Races are won on the climbs....

Quote Originally Posted by BIG D 77
    hey all,
    i just bought an '04 epic comp disc and im wondering how it handles technical singletrack?
    im just about to do a few technical XC races and im wondering if i should use it or my Jamis dakar XC comp. The Dakar decends wonderfully, but i know the epic will climb much better, so im curious about the epic.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    not on the descents. Unless of course you are talking about a down hill race. Usually the guy that can blow away the climbs will be on the podium. I would say use the Epic, it might be a little slower going down, but the climbing ability in a race situation will more than make up for it.

Good Dirt

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    not on the descents. Unless of course you are talking about a down hill race. Usually the guy that can blow away the climbs will be on the podium. I would say use the Epic, it might be a little slower going down, but the climbing ability in a race situation will more than make up for it.

Good Dirt
    The man's got a point there. Drop them like a hot potato on them hills and you'll be up front in no time. Downhill is easy. Just dont do any hucking or it may stress the Epic's light frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Ride the Epic

I've got and 05 Epic Comp and I have to say it climbs great. It descends well, but climbs way better. I had a Kona Kikapu Deluxe before and it probably descended a little better, but I agree with the others when they say you win the race in the climbing. You make up so much more time in the climb than in the descent. It's a great feeling blowing by someone on the climbs. I feel the bike handles beautifully in technical singletrack.

Calvin

Menace
    I have an '04 Epic and the thing RIPS on the single track we ride here.

I have mine built full XC race and it climbs fireroads as good as a hardtail and trails and ST climbs better than a HT.

Going down is point and shoot.

Ride the Epic and give us an update after its all over.

Mark