mtbr member
    Aug 2004

'04 Enduro Chainstay broke

Was riding this weekend when my '04 Enduro Comp chainstay broke. The weld on the left side that connects the stay with the main pivot assembly failed. Sorry, no pictures. The weld looked to have poor penetration and simply separated cleanly. The edges of the individual pieces were in tact and had no failure, only the weld.

I was just riding down the trail; no jump, no drop, etc. I'm glad it didn't fail at high speed or in a bad spot on the trail. Maybe I better call Jenny Craig and lose a couple of my 200lbs?

Anyways, dropped the bike off at the LBS immediately on Saturday. The LBS called me first thing Monday morning and told me the new part was on the way. No charge. THANKS!!!

FYI. This was the second chainstay failure my LBS had seen very recently. They had only seen two, but within weeks of one another. Odd.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've seen two other 2002/4 Enduros break; the first broke horizontally along the weld where the seat tube meets the top of the monocoque and the other broke at the seatstay disk mount.

Both bikes belonged to friends of mine and were replaced by Spesh FOC within days - in the case of the first bike an XL sized frame was supplied.

Can't fault Specialized customer care here.

Old fart
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by weaklink
    Was riding this weekend when my '04 Enduro Comp chainstay broke. The weld on the left side that connects the stay with the main pivot assembly failed. Sorry, no pictures. The weld looked to have poor penetration and simply separated cleanly. The edges of the individual pieces were in tact and had no failure, only the weld.

I was just riding down the trail; no jump, no drop, etc. I'm glad it didn't fail at high speed or in a bad spot on the trail. Maybe I better call Jenny Craig and lose a couple of my 200lbs?

Anyways, dropped the bike off at the LBS immediately on Saturday. The LBS called me first thing Monday morning and told me the new part was on the way. No charge. THANKS!!!

FYI. This was the second chainstay failure my LBS had seen very recently. They had only seen two, but within weeks of one another. Odd.
    I had this exact failure on my -03 S-Works a couple of weeks ago
    In my opinion the weld was faulty but to be fair that bike has seen a lot of abuse and probably more jumping than is healthy over the two years I've had it. Am currently waiting for a replacement frame (yes, the swedish importer warrantied the entire frame, not just the chainstay) so obviously they also thought the weld was bad. Waiting sucks though...
    Yeah baby!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Get rid of it...

I broke my last frame, also a '04 Enduro, at the same spot. You are right about the penetration as I could clearly see the square edges of the chainstay on the inside of the weld. This was my fourth Enduro frame that I broke with the other three breaking at the seat tube/seat mast interface. Despite Specialized's stand up warranty service, I got sick and tired of tearing down the frame, sending it back for warranty and building it back up again. As well, I always had in the back of my mind, when riding, that it would fail again. I ended up selling it when they replaced the chainstay swingarm the last time and got a more durable and reliable rig.

I don't think Specialized worked out all of the bugs with their larger Enduro frames as I am also pushing the scales at 200 lbs. (6'3") riding an XL. Maybe dumping that style all together and going with the new style Enduro is testament enough that they had a lemon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Not real happy about warranty....

So here's how my situation went....

- Bike broke on trail. Crappy weld let loose
    - Took bike immediately to LBS where I bought it, same day.
    - LBS said they had to replace the part, that I could not install it myself. Warranty states labor not covered and all warranty items must be installed by LBS.
    - Took 4 business days to get part
    - LBS installed new main pivot bearings without asking first, for $14. Probably needed it, but I would have appreciated a call first.
    - LBS charged me $45 to install chain stay
    - When the chainstay broke, it also broke my wheel axle. I did not relaize this at first, untilk I got my bike back and tried to ride it.
    - Special ordered a Mavic axle, which took another week on a special order and $25

Summary:
    Cost me at least $70 and 2 weeks without my bike because of a faulty weld.

I guess that's as good as it gets with anything that breaks (cars, bikes, motorcycles, TVs, etc.) but I still feel a little robbed. If not for the crappy weld, none of it would have happened.

I would have felt better if: A) Specialized Corp would have paid the LBS for the labor, or B) if my LBS would have offered a loaner wheel for my downtime. "B" is a stretch, but "A" was expected....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sorry to hear that...

I think your issue lies less with Specialized and more with your LBS. My experience was that I disasembled the frame myself and only used my LBS as a means to ship the entire frame back to Specialized. I would have avoided them altogether had I not needed them to get a RA number for me. The chainstay was then replaced at Specialized and there were no added fees for labour and parts. Yeah...your LBS could have helped your cause (and their's) by providing you with a loaner wheel. Two weeks really isn't that bad a wait time though, considering it was always at least a month for me. As well, when my first 2001 model broke and they needed to replace it with a 2003 model, I had to shell out for a new FD, new bottom bracket and a new rear brake hose in order to fit my old parts to the new design.

I say use a different LBS next time because there will be a next time...