Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    04 enduro 6" link upgrade???

who makes them?
    where can i find one?
    website?
    thanks.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaukaRunner
    That currency exchange rate and shipping is going to hit you real hard. It'll be pricey.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Has anyone used one these links? I have been thinking about getting one, as I recently got hold of a 36 Van and though that one of these might even things out on my 03' enduro. Its either this or a new frame...

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    That currency exchange rate and shipping is going to hit you real hard. It'll be pricey.
    yah, that's what i was thinking too.
    there's gotta be some american link upgrades...
    i thought risse racing mades some, but there aren't any on their website.

j77

keep the link - swap the shock

On my 2002 Enduro I swapped out the 7.625" E2E OEM Float shock (with a 2" stroke) for a 7.875" E2E VanillaRL (with a 2.25" stroke).

This upped the travel from 5.25" with the Float to 5.9" with the Vanilla.

I run the link in the slack position which gives me a slightly higher BB and keeps the same slack head angle when paired with my 130mm Vanilla fork. The bike feels perfectly dialed now, and the coil in the back makes a world of difference.

I have been beating on this setup for 2+ years now with zero problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by j77
    On my 2002 Enduro I swapped out the 7.625" E2E OEM Float shock (with a 2" stroke) for a 7.875" E2E VanillaRL (with a 2.25" stroke).
    that's a good idea. i got a romic for the enduro, but had romic reduce the eye-to-eye and stroke to stock dimensions. maybe i'll send it back and have it lengthened.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

coil/rider weight ratio?

hi! i love this idea...what is your weight and the poundage on the coil spring? what is your recommended coil poundage for a 200lbs rider? thanks!

william

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

coil/rider weight ratio?

hi! i love this idea...what is your weight and the poundage on the coil spring? what is your recommended coil poundage for a 200lbs rider? thanks!

william

j77
    Quote Originally Posted by epicjurneez
    ...what is your recommended coil poundage for a 200lbs rider? thanks!
    I am right around 200# with gear also and I'm running a 650# spring with basically no preload. Set up like this, I get about 1 3/4" of rear sag with my carcass onboard (measuring from the seat to ground).

This spring weight gives me a soft bottom-out on the biggest 5-6' drops (with smooth transitions) I encounter on my usual trails but still manages to be pretty plush through the fast choppy stuff. I find its perfect for me and the way I ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

other enduro shock options?

What other rear shock options are there to fit the Enduro? I've wallowed out the rear shock bushing (can you say a rattle that will get worse over time???) and need to buy another something. I liked the option of the stock one to flip a switch and change the travel b/c I commute to school but enjoy hitting the trails or stairs along the way. I came into some money from tax returns this year too, so trying to figure out what to spend it on :-)

Thanks!
    Dan

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have a brand new Fox Vanilla R with ProPedal 7.875 x 2.00 that I rode ONCE on my '04 Enduro S-Works that I need to sell. It has the 650lbs spring and new reducers and will bolt right up to an 02-04 (and 05 5 inch) Enduro. I just had it on eBay, but it didn't sell. If you search eBay for Fox Vanilla and my user name (tim_chelle) you can see it.

I'm selling it because Spec. recently put the '05 S-Works Enduro on close-out and I was able to upgrade without spending any more money. I love it when I get new stuff for no money.

I'm not trying to make any money on the deal just trying to get what I just paid (on EP) for the shock. Let me know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by enduroubaix
    I have a brand new Fox Vanilla R with ProPedal 7.875 x 2.00 that I rode ONCE on my '04 Enduro S-Works that I need to sell. It has the 650lbs spring and new reducers and will bolt right up to an 02-04 (and 05 5 inch) Enduro. I just had it on eBay, but it didn't sell. If you search eBay for Fox Vanilla and my user name (tim_chelle) you can see it.

I'm selling it because Spec. recently put the '05 S-Works Enduro on close-out and I was able to upgrade without spending any more money. I love it when I get new stuff for no money.

I'm not trying to make any money on the deal just trying to get what I just paid (on EP) for the shock. Let me know.
    Can't find it on ebay. Can you post pics? Good to start getting a good feel of the options!

Dan

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Item number is/was 7218983594.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by enduroubaix
    Item number is/was 7218983594.
    I was actually looking at that the other day, but as usual forget about these things before it's too late. I figured you probably sold it. I would like to try a coil option, but don't really want to dump $300 on a new shock to find out it's not what I want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Me too

DKRider

I'm going to try the same thing on my 04 pro.I have a Fox RP3 7.825 x 2.25 rear shock on the back. This longer shock steepens the head tube angle to over 71 degrees. Putting on a fox 36 vanilla should drop my head tube 2 degrees to about 69. This is right where specialized had the head angle originally. I ran this by some engineering friends who believe the longer fork shouldn't put more stress on my frame unless I face plant it into the ground. A friend of mine is a test rider for Cannondale and beleives that the bike should be ok because it's not that far past how it was originally spec at.

Did you switch already to the 36? Any pictures? MY 36 Van is at the bike shop and I'm just wanting for my 20mm hub to come in.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrider
    Has anyone used one these links? I have been thinking about getting one, as I recently got hold of a 36 Van and though that one of these might even things out on my 03' enduro. Its either this or a new frame...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Rallius, thanks for the post. I have had the fork on the bike for a few weeks now, unfortunatly our trails have been snowed under - so I haven't had much of a chance to try it yet. The couple of times I have been out the fork performed perfectly, a definite improvement to the front end, although I still need to see how it handles the steeper climbs. I currently have a 5th Element, 7.5" x 2.0" rear shock mounted, hence the head angle is quite slack. I tend to agree with you a longer shock should bring the head angle back to around 69, and think this might just be the way to go. Here's a pic of my ride in its current set up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Rallius, thanks for the post. I have had the fork on the bike for a few weeks now, unfortunatly our trails have been snowed under - so I haven't had much of a chance to try it yet. The couple of times I have been out the fork performed perfectly, a definite improvement to the front end, although I still need to see how it handles the steeper climbs. I currently have a 5th Element, 7.5" x 2.0" rear shock mounted, hence the head angle is quite slack. I tend to agree with you a longer shock should bring the head angle back to around 69, and think this might just be the way to go.
    Here's a pic of my ride in its current set up.

jmf
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Rallius,
    this is the first time I've seen a piggyback reservoir style shock put on the 02-04 style frame. Did you have to mod the shock, link, or frame in any way? That looks like
    one sweet setup

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf
    Rallius,
    this is the first time I've seen a piggyback reservoir style shock put on the 02-04 style frame. Did you have to mod the shock, link, or frame in any way? That looks like
    one sweet setup

JMF

I think you were refering to dkenduro's post of his rear shock. I'm surprised he had room for a coil shock but his bike looks sweat. My RP3 is an air shock w/o a resevoir. I'm picking up the fork and a new hub tomorrow so I can have it ready for the weekend. I'll try and post a picture by Sunday. I'll try and get some head tube angles and bottom back height if possible.

j77
    Quote Originally Posted by dkrider
    . . . . Here's a pic of my ride in its current set up.
    That looks good! I am also curious as to how the shock fits? Did you try to remove the coil from the shock and fully compress the rear end with the spring-less shock on the bike to make sure the the resivor does not hit the seat mast under full compression? That was the problem with the resivor vanilla shocks when mounted on that frame, in that configuration. . . .

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    To fit the 5th we did need to modify the frame slightly, I had a friend do it as he is also a frame builder. After a lot of deliberation we ground a small niche into the seat mast to fit the top of the 5th reservoir which has this small protrusion on the left hand side. (see pic.). We reasoned that this modification shouldn’t affect the frames stability, although the same can probably not be said for the warranty. As it turns out the frame has held up remarkably well, it is now going into its 4th season and has few torturous Trans Alp tours behind it, and it handles the 4 - 6' drops that our local trails dish up with no problems. Needless to say I have been pretty stocked with this frame and the set up.

On a another note a friend of runs a Manitou 6way swinger on his 04' Enduro frame, this shock fits the frame with no modifications. This is a viable option for a coil-over shock on the 02-04 Enduro series.
    Of course we found this out after we had mounted the 5th.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    please post some pics from your manitou's friend, what size, and his ride impressions(and maybe some from yourself), will it be the same for the new revox?

2:1
    mtbr member

what other shocks will fit on there?

I started a thread on this yesterday, not noticing that this one was basically about that... apparently you can get a 6" bike using a Swinger 6-way, or a 5th E if you're willing to grind your frame a little bit. How about a DHX or DHX air? Any info on that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2:1
    I started a thread on this yesterday, not noticing that this one was basically about that... apparently you can get a 6" bike using a Swinger 6-way, or a 5th E if you're willing to grind your frame a little bit. How about a DHX or DHX air? Any info on that?

I'll let you know about the DHX air in a couple of days, as I have one on loan over the weekend to see if it will fit. Also will see if a get a some pictures of the manitou 6way mounted on the 04 enduro frame..
    N.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast