Team Blindspot

04/05 Stumpy owners seen this?

BETD has come out with a link to increase travel and raise BB height.

https://www.betd.co.uk/news_story.asp?NewsID=39

After you do the conversion, it's $175 before shipping to the US.

PS: What's with the "Kaopectate Green" in the UK?!?!?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by S-Works; 08-20-2005 at 03:00 PM.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    No, but it will rock. BETD makes great stuff. The stumpy should be 130 anyway. Make me think about picking up a 2005 FSR 120 and getting the link. Hmmm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Looks like it's for the XC 100 only. Would it work for the Stumpy 120?

mtbr member
    May 2004

Perhaps we should get some clarification...

...on which bikes this will fit. The info at the linked site states that the part fits "FSRxc 100" bikes, and shows what appears to be either a regular FSR (not xc) or perhaps a 2005 FSRxc.

It does not indicate that the part will fit the 2005 120s.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    ...on which bikes this will fit. The info at the linked site states that the part fits "FSRxc 100" bikes, and shows what appears to be either a regular FSR (not xc) or perhaps a 2005 FSRxc.

It does not indicate that the part will fit the 2005 120s.

It is not for the 120's. It's for those with 100mm of travel who want to increase their travel instead of buying a 120.

It's supposed to fit both the FSR XC's and the Stumpy 100's.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    It is not for the 120's. It's for those with 100mm of travel who want to increase their travel instead of buying a 120.

It's supposed to fit both the FSR XC's and the Stumpy 100's.

So the 100mm triad rear shock has to be changed or can be changed to a 130mm rear shock? If you do have a 130mm rear on a Stumpy Expert 100, would you or do you have to get a compatible fork? Does the triad rear shock suck that bad on the Stumpy 100?

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh Wheelie
    So the 100mm triad rear shock has to be changed or can be changed to a 130mm rear shock? If you do have a 130mm rear on a Stumpy Expert 100, would you or do you have to get a compatible fork? Does the triad rear shock suck that bad on the Stumpy 100?

Same shock, new linkage which gives more travel. From what I read, it will raise the BB and steepen the HA, so a longer fork (or at least bigger axle to crown) from what you got now will be needed to keep the same handling characteristics.

I can't speak about the Triad as I've never used one, I'm running a Pushed Float R on my warranty repl. 04 Stumpy 100. I'm also using a Pushed Talas, which is working out very well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by S-Works; 08-22-2005 at 11:41 AM.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I rode a 2004 FSR for a few months, before deciding that I needed a large instead of medium frame and switching over to a 2005 FSR 120.

I thought the Triad was a fine shock- open/full plush setting, Propedal and full lockout. I agree with many others that the Triad is actually preferable to the newer Septune which has no lockout. It seems the Septune has been dropped for 2006, which serves as some indication for how it has been received.

The Septune isn't awful, on full Propedal there is very little bob. But it is hard to understand why the lockout was dropped in place of 7 different Propedal settings- way more than just about anyone needs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Official response from BETD about using linkage with the 120

"I have just tried it onto the 120, and it gives too much travel. The settings on that bike are 145mm and 175mm, but it tightens the headangle too much. I am going to have a better look soon. Hopefully to give approx 125mm and 150mm. I will post it on the web as soon as i have one made."

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by Fassn8
    "I have just tried it onto the 120, and it gives too much travel. The settings on that bike are 145mm and 175mm, but it tightens the headangle too much. I am going to have a better look soon. Hopefully to give approx 125mm and 150mm. I will post it on the web as soon as i have one made."

Well, there's your sub 30lb six inch trail bike. Ala Yeti 575, Blue LT, 5.5.
    Last edited by S-Works; 08-22-2005 at 07:09 AM.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Nice bike

Hey S-Works is your bike a Stumpy 100 or 120. What rear shock are you running?? How much was that fork your running, and how do you like it compare to the 120 talas. How much does your bike weigh?? Whats your oppinion on a 06 and th 05 Stumpys?? Do you think the 06 is a much more better bike or is it the same??

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey S-Works is your bike a Stumpy 100 or 120. What rear shock are you running?? How much was that fork your running, and how do you like it compare to the 120 talas. How much does your bike weigh?? Whats your oppinion on a 06 and th 05 Stumpys?? Do you think the 06 is a much more better bike or is it the same??
    I'll chime in. The O5 120's are great bikes. According to early press reports, the 06 models will have slightly higher bottom bracket, slightly more relaxed head angle and, more significantly, the adjustable brain rear shock in place of the Septune.

On paper, the adjustable brain sounds like a significant improvement and with the minor geometry tweaks may make an already great bike even better. It will be interesting to hear some reports from people who have actually ridden one of the new bikes.

Team Blindspot
    It's a 100, I'm running a Pushed Float R. I got the fork second hand, and had new lowers put on, and had it Pushed. It is one of the first Talas's made. The bike weighs 27.76 lbs.

Look to the above post for 06 Info. The 06 Stumpy 130 sounds like a sweet bike.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'm interested but don't fully understand the process. How do you increase the travel of the rear shock by just changing the linkage? Doesn't the shock have to change as well?

Also, on the SJ120 the shock is moved forward to accomodate the additional travel. This is obviously not the case in the BETD design. I wonder if this is going to entail compromises to shock efficiency due to the different travel path of the shock.

gnuH

Linkage Ratios

Goldsbar - the shock remains the same, with the BETD linkage changing the ratio.

The standard 100mm Stumpy has a 40mm stroke shock with a 2.5:1 linkage ratio. 2.5 x 40 = 100mm of travel.

The 130mm BETD linkage changes the ratio to 3.25:1. 3.25 x 40 = 130mm of travel.

I'm not sure how the increased ratio will change the shock's performance. My initial thoughts are that it will lessen the effect of the propedal (more bob?). You will also have to run a higher shock pressure to get the correct sag.

I'm tempted to get the link, and set my Reba to 115mm mode, but I'm only 70 kg and don't often bottom my shock and fork. More travel isn't necessarily better if you don't need it.

Mountainbiker
    Sep 2005

New question here. Availability

Quote Originally Posted by Fassn8
    When will the Linkage be available?
    Last edited by skuehnen; 09-19-2005 at 07:43 AM.