Thread: 03 Epic setup

GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

03 Epic setup

Just bought a used 03 Epic for a Spring build...anyone running an 80mm fork? I notice most of the Epics posted here have 100mm, but I've got a Fox RLT80 waiting to get used.

Also, I know the BB shell is 68mm, but since I'm going to run older XT cranks, I need to know the spindle length...any help with this would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm running an 80mm Rock Shox Duke on my Epic ('03). '03 Epics are designed for an 80mm fork, everything after that are designed for 100mm forks. I imagine you could run a 100mm fork on an 03 without changing the head tube angle too much, but if you have an 80mm fork you should probably just use that.
    "My scraper bike go hard, I don't need no car."

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm running a 100mm Reba on my 03 Epic. Definitely changed the geometry, just like I wanted it to. Now a much better trail bike, more stable, less twitchy at speed, but not noticeably worse at climbing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    All the geometry measurements are on Specialized.com. Click on "Bikes" then "Archive" then the desired model year, and you can look up the facts and figures for any given bike/s.

Another thing to consider: Generally speaking, the larger the frame size, the less of an effect the change in fork travel will have upon the handling characteristics of the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hi GNR,

Here's a previous thread on the subject:

Epic longer travel fork?

GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Thanks everyone

I appreciate the information and the help. Cheers.

mtbr member
    I seem to remember when I got my 03 s-works epic frame, there was a sticker right on the top tube that said something to the effect of "not designed for anything over 130 mm." that aside, I have a fox f100x, and I like it better than the 80mm SID I had on there.

We want... a shrubbery!
    I ran a Psylo on my '03 for a season, and the riding geometry definitely changed above 90mm. 100mm travel was fine, but anything over that and I really didn't like the handling characteristics too much. However, the extra BB height was nice over logs!
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.