mtbr member
    Jan 2004

03 epic brain shock

is there much difference in ride quality between the brain shockes that came on the 03 and the ones that came out later with the IQ? I want to do marathon and 24 hour races next year and would like a little softer ride. Also can I get a replacement shock with the IQ for my 03?
    rich

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've owned an '03 Epic for a couple of years and have tried an '04 pro up and down gutters. The threshold is definately lowered on later model Epics and from what I've been told they are much softer on the trail. Just doing the drop test in the shop it is very easy to see that it takes a much smaller bump to activate the shock which would improve the ride.

I'm pretty sure (someone else confirm) that the shock link and mounting stayed the same between the 03 and 04 bikes, so you could potentially fit a newer shock. Don't know if you will be able to squeeze one out from Specialized, and it wouldn't be all that cheap either.

mtbr member

You can do it..

Everything is the same from '03-'05 so you can put an IQ on your '03. Its a BIG difference. Have fun.