mtbr member
    Feb 2008

03-04 Epic Frame

I think I am going to buy an older specialized epic off ebay. The older models are alot cheaper, so I was wondering if it is wise to buy. The ones i am looking at are 03-04. With buying the epic frame that is this old, is the brain shock a lot less developed and not as good? Will it last long? I am looking to spend around $750 for a frame and a fork, any suggestions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Specialized-Epic...QQcmdZViewItem

We want... a shrubbery!
    The '03 frame has the Brain with only rebound adjustment -- but that was fine enough for me. It does the job, and it's no frills design is rock hard... no problems like the new Specialized designed Brains.

With that said, I sold my '03 to get a used '04, and well, the only difference is the Threshold adjustment (how much of a bump until the shock activates). I use it from time to time, but most often I don't touch it but maybe once a season.

The Fox Brains are pretty good, so I would worry too much about QC issues, at least that's been my experience.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm very happy with my '03 -- no unusual problems -- hardly any at all in fact. Rebuilt the shock, cleaned & lubed pivots, replaced headset (bottom bracket next), upgraded to Avid BB7 brakes & lighter wheels & tires, Reba 100mm fork...still going strong (the bike --- the rider's another story...).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Sounds good now all I have to do is find a good deal on one! Do you think the one on my 1st post is a good deal???