Hard as nails

02 Stumpy BETD link = What Shock ?????

I have been through many of the thread containing information on this topic, bnut not much information on long term use of the BETD link and the durability of the rear shock used with the extra leverage that the link creates. Recently, my 02 fox float RL gave out. Started leaking air. I ordered a new seal kit from PUSH and rebuilt the sucker w/ all of the new seal and rings. Anyway, the leak is back and I have not ridden it yet since the rebuild. I am seriously considering a new shock for the rear.
    Darren @ PUSH told me that the link created a 'Bad Set up' and would not PUSH my current shock for the application.
    MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION?
    Has anyone used this set up (I usually use the lowest,closet to the wheel slot for shock mounting - 100 mm option) long term WITHOUT any rear shock problems? What shock are you using? Did you keep the original I2I and stroke or change it to a larger shock? I love the way the Stumpy handles and would like to get it back on the trail - but do not want to waste unecessary loot!

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtman
    I have been through many of the thread containing information on this topic, bnut not much information on long term use of the BETD link and the durability of the rear shock used with the extra leverage that the link creates. Recently, my 02 fox float RL gave out. Started leaking air. I ordered a new seal kit from PUSH and rebuilt the sucker w/ all of the new seal and rings. Anyway, the leak is back and I have not ridden it yet since the rebuild. I am seriously considering a new shock for the rear.
    Darren @ PUSH told me that the link created a 'Bad Set up' and would not PUSH my current shock for the application.
    MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION?
    Has anyone used this set up (I usually use the lowest,closet to the wheel slot for shock mounting - 100 mm option) long term WITHOUT any rear shock problems? What shock are you using? Did you keep the original I2I and stroke or change it to a larger shock? I love the way the Stumpy handles and would like to get it back on the trail - but do not want to waste unecessary loot!

Thanks
    What leverage ratio does the BETD link give on that bike? I use a BETD link on my FSR with a 3.33:1 ratio. High but usable. In the past I have used a Stratos helix that worked fine. Currently I am running a PUSHED Vanilla R, which makes me ask, why would PUSH not modify your shock? The high leverage ratio? I wonder if this is specific to the Vx piston, which seems to have less "platform" on my bike, as compared to the original piston.

I know RISSE sells shocks that they say can be used at up to a 4:1 ratio with no problem. And they custom tune your shock for you when you buy it.