mtbr member
    Jun 2012

'01 Stumpjumper M4 Pro - What bottom bracket do I have? Can I run dura ace fc-7701?

Hi,

I've got an '01 Specialized Stumpjumper M4 Pro, and one of my stock crank arms broke (Strongarm II?). There's a shimano bottom bracket on there, and it looks like an octalink. There's markings on it that say 'BC 1.37 68mm'

I just purchased this: Shimano Dura Ace FC 7701

Shimano Dura Ace FC 7701 7700 Crankset 175mm 53 39T Octalink 9 Speed Double | eBay

Do I need a new bottom bracket? Will the spacing be the same going from a triple crank to a double?

Would I need to swap cassettes or anything else to make this work? How about my stock Deore XT front derailler and shifter?

I can grab the model numbers off the stuff I have currently if need be.
    Thanks.

PS - Also, what exact velox rim tape should I get for my new xc717 disc rim? (26")

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    You know that's a road crankset, right?

FD probably won't be able to handle the jump between the smaller chainring(Which is almost as big as the largest on a MTB crankset) and the big ring. You'll have to set it so high on the seattube to clear the big ring that it won't shift well onto the smaller one, I'd guess. Plus the total teeth difference between front and rear might be more than your system can handle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    FD? (EDIT: duh - front dearailler)

I realize its a road crank, it's my daily commuter, so I wanted more gearing. Yea it's odd, but what would you recommend? I wanted to upgrade to dura ace stuff, is that only for road bikes? I want to spend about 200 total to fix it with used components, any suggestions?
    Last edited by fullCircling; 02-14-2013 at 03:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I had that bike I'm pretty sure. Black front end with silver rear? Good race bike. The Sid Race was a leaky PITA however so I threw on a Marzocchi Bomber.

Anyway, the stock cranks that came on that bike were the first things me and my shopmate and fellow racer yanked off of those bikes. Absolutely flexy noodles. Junk.

I'm going to recommend looking for an XTR M-952 crankset on Ebay. That's what I threw on it back then, and it was a great upgrade. You'll need a 112 or 112.5 Octalink bottom bracket. If yours is already this length, it will work fine. I question the bearings at this point though. The cranks are a 46-34-24 ratio, so you'll have a pretty good top-end. I'd replace your chain and cassette too. Maybe consider running a road cassette?

I'd hook you up with my cranks and BB, but I just gave that bike away to my friends pop this past summer...

good luck
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    You're good with the 17mm width Velox tape.

Also, the XT front derailleur and shifter will work just fine with the crank I recommended.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    sweet, thats some pretty solid advice. yea, that's the one. same color scheme, and yea that sid forks leeeakksss. i just rebuilt it, news seals, new bushings, even made my own tools to rebuild it. it locked out great for a couple of days, and then it went right back to how it was.

whats a good price for a decent used marzocchi bomber?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yeah, SID's back then were just not very good. Rock Shox didn't turn things around in that regard until they came out with their 32mm stantion design. I think they were 28mm back then. The seals were terrible too. The thing you are looking for in a fork is axle to crown length. You want to keep it the same as what the SID is within the few millimeter variance that will be between different fork manufacturers for that application.

The fork that came on that bike had 80mm of travel, so you want an 80mm travel fork, with that same axle to crown measurement. I'll give a look to see what that was, as I don't exactly remember. You will be stuck looking for used for the most part, since most forks are built around a minimum of 100mm now, and their axle to crown is taller.

Let me re-familiarize myself with this stuff and I will get back to you with some recommendations.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    well fortunately i was able to cancel my order on the dura ace cracnk w/ no hassle, and so i bought this:

Shimano XTR M952 Crankset | eBay'

and this:
    Pedro's Bottom Bracket Socket Isis Compatible | eBay

and this:
    New Park Tool BBT 18 Bottom Bracket Tool Chainring Lockring Tool Bike Bicycle | eBay

aand this:
    Bicycle 17 mm Velox Rim Tape Cotton Adhesive Bikes | eBay

that should be all i need, aside from the proper bottom bracket, right? as far going with 112 or 112.5, is one better than the other, as far as gear alignment goes, between front and rear?
    ill prob pick up a shimano 9 speed chain while im at it, and prob get a road cassette later on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yeah, that's the one. It wasn't a choice between the two spindle lengths, but rather me trying to remember the size. There isn't a 112.

You should be stoked with what you're getting.

The BBT 18 will also work to remove the crank spider, if you ever decide to do so, or if the cranks ever develop a 'ticking' sort of a creek. That, I found though, was from the Safety Kleen parts washer drying out the minimal grease film between that lockring and the spider, and shouldn't be an issue if you are not dunking the things in a thin solvent like Safety Kleen.