Support OUR Wounded

01 Stumpjumer Comp Or 08 Fsr Xc

I bought a 2001 stumpy that had only been ridden once( and looked brand new), for 680 bucks a week ago. I had to refill the shocks, oil the chain and put in new tubes. The bike has all stock components including an A1 frame, mars manitou fork, xtr rear derailer, fox float r shock, lx shifters and avid single digit 5 v-brakes (the rear brake rubs the rim in a place, is that a problem, if so how do I fix it) The bike also can be fitted with disc brakes in the future and has super light rims. The front derailer is xt and rubs the largest gear for a section of the gear when the chain is selected to that gear.

Is this frame good enough to learn and upgrade (only as I break things) on or am I better off spending another 500 bucks and get a no frills new fsr xc 08 and build on that, assuming that all the high end components on this bike are now dated and would be strait up deore on todays trails, and the frame is also way old tech?

I'd get something nicer, but I am in the military and therefore on a budget, so I also don't want my components to just die on me.

mtbr member
    Ride what you have and fix things as they brake. That 01 is a good bike to learn on. When you get better you will start to see what type of riding your are going to do. You will then be able to get a bike that fits your style at that time.

That 01 has good parts and should do you good for a while
    Last edited by toytech64; 08-05-2008 at 01:21 PM.
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies

T Smee
    Oct 2007
    I actually just sold a 01 Stumpjumper to a friend... Its a great bike that held up very well for me! I got it as a closeout from my local dealer back in 2004, it was still brand new on the showroom, just never sold. I rode it for about 4 years and the only things that broke were definitely my fault! I used it for everything from commuting on campus, to trail riding with friends, and even a few races. Update components when you feel it necessary, otherwise just ride it and enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I also had an 2001 Stumpjumper FSR and was absolutelly satisfied with the bike until ithe frame broke in December 2005. But I have to admit that I rode really lot kilometers; in 2004 at least 10 marathons with ~100km/3000meters altitude, one 24hr-Race and all the training. My weight 95 kilogramms.
    I do not think that the FSR XC's rear can do things better. You can switch the Stumpi's rear between 75mm or 90mm travel.
    I liked the bike absolutelly. I still have the front hub in use.
    My bike came with a Manitou SX-R which I replaced with a Marzocchi Marathon S after 2 years. I did not like the the Specialized crank, a Deore came in.

I had the rear shock twice for warranty service (leaking air). Later I learned that Fox had problems with the seals in 2001 . After that it worked perfect.

I would keep the Stumpi.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    double-post