mtbr member
    Oct 2005

[VIDEO] Specialized Pitch: Coil vs Air Shock test

Hi from Portugal

Here's a video just to compare the differences between a coil shock (Swinger X4) and an normal air shock. In the video I compare with an AFR of enduro, but the x-fusion O2 performed in same way.

I know that to be a better comparison I would need to compare with a swinger air with similar IFP pressure, but we don't have it, so this was the best we can get

BTW, my Pitch is much smoooother now! And it has a similar bobing than older x-fusion. When pedaling seated the shock doesnt move.

Bye

mtbr member
    When's the last time you sent your bike down a hill without you on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That is a good test , but what they failed to mention is the AFR has a platform in it and the coil does not .

And the AFR has no negative air in the sleeve either and the DU bushings and sleeves are so tight you can't move them with a hammer

mtbr member
    I find that the "seat test" while off the bike is not indicative of actual performance while riding. I mean, the shock is supposed to be damped for your full seated weight. Leaning on the seat or bouncing the rear isn't going to show you what's going on. My Evolver ISX-6 does not impress with a seat test and also defies the traditional thinking on "sag". But once I start pedaling, that thing has been magic for me. Being able to respond to 20 pounds of weight is a neat trick, but ultimately serves no purpose for a 110+ pound person. The actual ride characterisitics are what matters.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr View Post
    That is a good test , but what they failed to mention is the AFR has a platform in it and the coil does not .

And the AFR has no negative air in the sleeve either and the DU bushings and sleeves are so tight you can't move them with a hammer
    Before having the Swinger Coil, I had the X-fusion O2R stock on pitch. It behaves equally to AFR. It bounces the wheel with the seat test. I've a friend with a marzochhi roco air and bounces too. But all of people with coil shocks that I know, the wheels stays on the ground.

Chameleoneel, IMO I think the seat test is a great test to reproduce that kind of fast square-edge bumps, because it simulates a fast and small impact. Keeping the wheel on the ground means that the blow-off threshold to those fast impacts is low, so the shock can absorb that, which in turns means that the sock is super sensitive and have a nice small bump compliance. BTW, my shock has 30% SAG (for 160lbs rider - 400lbs spring on it).

Now I feel the rear wheel fully active on downhill, even in bumpy downhill tracks. The wheel stays much more on the ground no matter how bumpy it is. With X-fusion O2 I could not get such a performance. For instances, in those fast brake bumps, with x-fusion or with AFR, the wheel simply doesn't move at all !! With coil is so much more plush!

Also, and believe me (I know it's hard ), but I don't feel the shock suffering from pedal bob more than x-fusion. I think its really the same. So I really encourage people to switch those "shitty" air shocks for a real coil one.

Bye, from Portugal (you know that little country next to spain )

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Good thing you had your helmet on!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ILMTB View Post
    Good thing you had your helmet on!
    Safety first!!

mtbr member