mtbr member
    Aug 2004

No good $2,000 MBA Bike Shoot-out

In MBA's 2004 $2,000 bike shoot-out, the Specialized Stumpjumper won. This year, they didn't even include it in the shoot-out. It also seems funny to me that in thw "Ask R.C." column, last year I noticed a distinct favorability towards Specialized products when RC would recommend bikes for reader's inquiries, and now I see a trend towards Titus and others.

I currently ride an '04 Enduro, which I love, but I'm not a "hater" and like bikes from all brands. I couldn't care less which bike they deamed best, as there were a couple I really liked. It just kinda gets my goat to see what is blatant sponsorship/favoratism in that rag. Then again, maybe it's just me....

Not renewing my subscription. I have heard the term "Mountain Bike Fiction" on here before, now I'm starting to understand.....

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by weaklink
    In MBA's 2004 $2,000 bike shoot-out, the Specialized Stumpjumper won. This year, they didn't even include it in the shoot-out.
    Doesn't the 05 SJ retail for about $2400? Or is that just the SJ120 Expert ( i was considering a purchase of one untill I found my true calling, lol)

In any case I subscribe to MBA also but take all the propaganda with a grain of salt. Are there any better mags out there? I don't know.

Binge Rider

Mountain Bike....

I read MBA and take the propaganda with the same grain as you...but I ride Specialized too so it makes me feel good.. j/k. Ol' R.C. does pimp the Specialized / Titus a lot I must agree. I like the mag called Mountain Bike it's pretty forward. It used to be called Mountain Bike Quarterly and is under the same publisher as Bicycle. I also subscribe to BIKE but that is gearing more towards the free ride stuff, it has cool pics though. The British mag Singletrack is great but really pricey. Not too big of a fan of Dirt Rag.
    Last edited by Spine Shank; 08-01-2005 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Confusing
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer" General Patton

[SIZE="1"]CAUTION: ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION CONFUSES ME[/SIZE]

Humpmaster general
    Specialized does not have a $2000 trail bike. The rule was $1800 to $2200 MSRP.

Trail bike = more then 4 inches of travel.

Specialized does have 1 bike that fits the bill but I assume they did not want to pit the base model enduro 130 against the higher end trail bikes from other companies.

Also did you read the first article by Cunninghan, where he takes credit for modern mountain bike geometery.
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    Specialized does not have a $2000 trail bike. The rule was $1800 to $2200 MSRP.

Trail bike = more then 4 inches of travel.

Specialized does have 1 bike that fits the bill but I assume they did not want to pit the base model enduro 130 against the higher end trail bikes from other companies.

Also did you read the first article by Cunninghan, where he takes credit for modern mountain bike geometery.
    Have you noticed that on the MBA bike reviews they don't put the name of who's writting the review and who's testing the bike? I think that some have, but not all. Bikes are different than, lets say, computers, where things are not that cut and dried. You cannot make CPU benchmarks and make a graph explaining all the different options. You must ride them and judge them based on your preferences. You may try to be open minded, but finally you will be biased toward some designs, companies or a lot of stuff, regardless of who's patronizing the magazine. Maybe they judge some bikes by their standards, and they can say that bike A has bob, or bike B has a break dive problem, or bike B has this or that, but those bikes may be for intermediate riders which wouldn't notice those quirks, but they may miss on issues like build quality, company support, how easy the bike may fit to some style of riding, etc.. I don't mean just MBA, but it's a general thing, IMHO.

I think that the Stumpjumper FSR MSRP is 1,800 USD, and the version with disc should be 2,000 or so (not sure).

I do think that MBA is biased, and what one year they say changes the next year, and I don't mean in technical issues as to say bike A current year is awesome and a winner or not, in a year some bikes can get different specs, geometry and can come up ahead of others. But one some outlooks they just change. Even then, I tend to buy an issue now and then when I think it has good content. You can't expect all of them to be good.

I think that anything you read you must take under the microscope and make your own judgement.

I have a Stumpjumper FSR and it is going to be replaced with a Titus Moto Lite. I would love to keep both bikes, but I can't justify keeping the Stumpy for monetary values, and both bikes are too similar to justify it.... maybe if my Stumpy was the HT version I would consider it.

Humpmaster general
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    I think that the Stumpjumper FSR MSRP is 1,800 USD, and the version with disc should be 2,000 or so (not sure).

I agree with everything you said but the 100mm Stumpjumpers were not in the running. If you only had 4 inches of travel you were not invited to the party.

The cheapest FSR 120 which does qualify as a trail bike has a $2600. MSRP
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    I agree with everything you said but the 100mm Stumpjumpers were not in the running. If you only had 4 inches of travel you were not invited to the party.

The cheapest FSR 120 which does qualify as a trail bike has a $2600. MSRP
    I haven't seen the MBA issue, which bikes were the ones in the shootout?

Live 2 Ride
    Well first of all I will never have 2000 dollars to spend on a bike. I barely scape by with 400 bucks a month.

I don't think MBA is a biased magazine. As long as they don't recommend Ellsworth bikes I'm cool. I don't care for Ellsworth's business practices. But that's another story.

One thing that does piss me off is that MBA is always saying that hardtails are dead and buy full suspension rigs when in fact I like hardtails and for the price of an entry level FS rig you can get a high level hardtail.

Another thing is that MBA will not test low end bikes. They deserve to be reviewed as well I think.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Humpmaster general
    1st Giant Reign 2
    2nd Marlin Rock Springs
    3rd Cannondale Prophet 800
    4th Kona Dawg Delux
    5th Fisher Cake 2 DLX
    6th GT I Drive 5 2.0

Live 2 Ride
    None that avarage joe can afford...

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    And the price is higher than last year. Last year was $1,500 shootout. Well...

Gravity Rides Everything

this average joe works for a specialized dealer

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Just curious...

Since the topic of price has come up, I was wondering about the recent dramatic price increase of Specialized bikes? It used to be one of their strong points, in my opinion. Their products offered alot of bike for the buck. I don't particularly see any increase in value of the products that would warrant such a large price hike in such a short time. I can understand the prices of companies such as Titus, Santa Cruz, Intense, etc due to the smaller volume of products which they sell. Specialized now has some of the most expensive bikes on the market, and for what? I'd just as soon buy a Norco for my money.

I'm not trying to start any beaf here, honestly. I'm just sad to see them hike their prices up so high for reasons that I don't see or understand.

6'4"-6'9" with the afro
    This doesn't explain why other manufacturer prices may not be going up (can't confirm or deny that) but I imagine that: raw material prices, increased oil prices and weak dollar drive MSRP up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    In MBA's 2004 $2,000 bike shoot-out, the Specialized Stumpjumper won. This year, they didn't even include it in the shoot-out. It also seems funny to me that in thw "Ask R.C." column, last year I noticed a distinct favorability towards Specialized products when RC would recommend bikes for reader's inquiries, and now I see a trend towards Titus and others.

I currently ride an '04 Enduro, which I love, but I'm not a "hater" and like bikes from all brands. I couldn't care less which bike they deamed best, as there were a couple I really liked. It just kinda gets my goat to see what is blatant sponsorship/favoratism in that rag. Then again, maybe it's just me....

Not renewing my subscription. I have heard the term "Mountain Bike Fiction" on here before, now I'm starting to understand.....
    I didn't read the entire article, but I do recall in the introduction something about two rules:
    1. The bike needed to be $2000 +/- 10%, so in the range of $1800 - $2200.
    2. The bike needed a minimum of 5 inches of travel front and rear.

The closest SJ to fit the bill is the SJ 120 Expert at $2600 and 4.73" (120 mm) of travel. It fit in neither categories.

Live 2 Ride
    Well i got my hands on a copy of MBA and read the article. I agree with the results as Giant puts a heck of alot of value in their bike for the cash. Even more so then Specialized.

For example in 2002 Giant offered the Rainier with a 27 speed LX setup and Avid BB7 disc brakes and a Marazochi fork for 700 bucks. That's alot of value for the money and Giant continues to do that.

Of course I'd still buy a Specialized.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

DIRT relaunch

Step away from the mountain bike fiction and pick up DIRT. Brit mag relaunched two issues ago with new look. blows MBA outta the water! I too love my 04 Enduro but absolutly gag when it comes to Specialized's marketing.

Live 2 Ride
    I read Dirt as well. I enjoy MBA the best though. If you want a really bad mag to read try Mountain Bike back when Zap was around.

Only thing I really despise about MBA is the bias towards FS rigs. Hardtails are cool.
    Last edited by Kona0197; 08-05-2005 at 01:30 PM.

bi-winning
    Well i got my hands on a copy of MBA and read the article. I agree with the results as Giant puts a heck of alot of value in their bike for the cash. Even more so then Specialized.

For example in 2002 Giant offered the Rainier with a 27 speed LX setup and Avid BB7 disc brakes and a Marazochi fork for 700 bucks. That's alot of value for the money and Giant continues to do that.

Of course I'd still buy a Specialized.
    Yes, that was a good deal. That's why i bought that bike Unfortunately, it broke.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

MBA may have a few flaws-too many ads, etc.-on the whole i think it's fine. but yeah i kinda agree with the Specialized/Titus thing however they do make good bikes. That said when my subscription runs out i'll be getting Dirt Rag...

Ez