Thread: WTF in Alafia?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

WTF in Alafia?

My buddy and I ride Alafia once every other week, We were on bridges heading over to the TH then to Roller coaster, We stopped at a little fence with a small sign pointing in 2 directions "Easy & Harder", We knew harder is a short Black Diamond loop maybe a 1/4 mile long, So we went for it, Got about 2/3rds through and stopped to revel in the glory of nailing a 3 foot drop on a steep downhill.
    We had just stopped as we both heard a Very deep low rumbling growl,

I thought it was a big bull alligator doing his mating thing, Being from Florida and not too afraid of gators I went to have a look.
    By now it had growled 2 or 3 more times, I topped a small hill and looked down to the edge of a lake about 50 yards away and 10 yards down... No gator, Then another deep rumbling growl about where I was looking, These growl sounds were so deep they almost had a Sub-woofer sound to them.
    I didn't see anything, The woods were not that dense, It was easy to see the lake, I did another quick scan and got the hell outa there, I told my buddy I didn't see anything,
    This thing kept growling, About 6 more times, It sounded like it was moving to the side of us and getting closer though we couldnt hear foot steps, We left as fast as possible.

The sound is totally new to me and we heard it at least 20 times, I am willing to guess it was a Florida Panther or Cougar.

I wish I would have been able to see it but the sound was so close, The animal could have probably taken me out quick if it wanted to.
    If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing. --- W. Edwards Deming

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Your buddy playing tricks on you.

I ride their all the time..........I sure hope there isn't a Florida panther lurking around.
    2006 IBEX Trophy Pro
    2007 IBEX Asta Expert SE

mtbr member

Probably a HOG....

Seen several out there and they can make a low growling noise......You are lucky, those things can tear you to pieces.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    chupacabra sighting

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by oohsh_t
    The sound is totally new to me and we heard it at least 20 times, I am willing to guess it was a Florida Panther or Cougar.
    I don't know what you heard. I did hear a rumor that panther (cougar, mountain lion BTW are the same thing) is out there, but there's been no confirmation. One thing is that if you did hear a panther, you would know it immediately (assuming that it let you hear it).

Anyway, I'll stick to the hog. Otherwise I'd find it hard to talk my wife into letting me go.

Edit: Then again pigs are big cat food....................

It's a hog!
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I'd be a lot more scared of a hog than a panther. That's just me though. My family is from just southeast of Alafia in Balm, some relative of mine got gored by a hog back in the day out there.

mtbr member
    We where riding with a guy at Boyette Sunday who said he heard something like that also. It wasn't a mountain lion, cause if it was growling then it wanted you to see it, something that mountain lions really don't like. My guess is pig.
    Floridas Other Crazy White Guy....http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    I'd be a lot more scared of a hog than a panther. That's just me though. My family is from just southeast of Alafia in Balm, some relative of mine got gored by a hog back in the day out there.
    I don't know about that. They can both inflict serious damage. At least with the hog, they're less likely to go after you (unless you screw up). But then I haven't heard of any big cat attacks in FL.

Edit: Sorry I read your post too quickly. I've heard that there are hogs Alafia. Some friends have seen them on a ride (I missed it). Are there any recent panther citings?
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

I guess they scissor?
    I have seen big cat tracks in Boyette and big groups of hogs in Alafia but my guess is it was the skunkape

//some feral hogs carry brucellosis which can cause swelling of the testicles in humans, so dont let those piney wood rooters stick ya!

///male humans of course. females arent dumb enuf to mess w/ wild boars.
    Last edited by deathb4dnf; 10-17-2007 at 09:37 AM.
    if you never ride 30 mph, you'll never ride 30 mph

mtbr member
    I saw a wild hog once at the TOE (RIP). I thought someone had let there black lab loose on the trails until I go closer...thankfully it was running the other way.

I hate that name.
    I know for a fact there is a panther that lives around Boyette, I've seen it. Don't know about Alafia. But from what I understand, Florida Panthers are docile compared to their western relatives. And as for the pigs at Alafia, seen them too, plenty of times. I once ran into a herd on the blue section of Rockgarden just before the flat section. You can tell if they've been around when the trail looks like it was attacked with a post-holer. Also encountered a bull (escaped from a local farm?) once on that flat section of Rockgarden approaching Sandpine. That one scared me.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

bob
    mtbr member
    I've seen plenty of hogs at Alafia, they're pretty thick around there. I was riding with a group at Boyette last November and one of the guys in the lead said he saw a panther. I blew it off as a bobcat but who knows. FWIW, according to Florida DEP there are less than 100 panthers in the state and chances of seeing one are pretty slim. However the SW section of Florida (which includes area around Alafia) is considered prime panther habitat and their breeding area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I know Hog sounds, I've hunted them, I had to put my bike between me and a charging hog in Morris bridge, Lucky he was just warning me.

This was not a hog sound, I'm sticking with a Panther, I'm willing to bet it had a kill cause it was down by the water (best place to hunt) and it just wanted us to stay away from its food.
    If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing. --- W. Edwards Deming

banned
    Aren't manguela's in Florida

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    There has never been a documented Panther attack in Florida. That should be the last of your fears.

Dirt Eater
    Jan 2005
    I doubt you heard a panther. My one sighting of a panther was basically a glimpse as it moved liked a ghost onto the trail 50 yards in front of me, ran further down the trail, and off the other side. So quick and quiet my dog didnt even catch it.

I'm with the others, it was likely a hog. Perhaps a bobcat. They both make a very broad spectrum of sounds, with the bobcats being a lot less spooky around people than panthers.

I guess they scissor?
    ok, but when the skunkape jumps out infront of you along the high side of moonscape dont say I didnt warn you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've seen a big cat out at Boyette. Not Panther big but considerably larger than any domesticated cat I've ever seen even though it looked somewhat like a domesticated cat. The only thing I could come up with is a cross between a bobcat and regular cat based on size and ear shape (if that cross is even possible, I'm not a cat person). Also seen several hogs out at Alafia, never heard one growl though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sounds to me like you encountered ManBearPig!

EXCELCIOR!!!

I guess they scissor?
    its half man half bear and half pig!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Global Warming is the only thing that can kill ManBearPig! Your weapons are useless!

mtbr member
    I'd say it was a squeeler as I saw quite a bit of rooting around the trails at the FTF last weekend.
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It was extremely likely to have been a big hog rooting around and just being a hog. Bobcats don't growl, so it wasn't a bobcat. Florida Panthers do growl, and Alafia is at the northern end of their known range at this point, but they are very wary of humans and it would have bolted quickly. It would have known you were around before you knew it was around and taken off.

If it was a panther and was interested in you as food, you wouldn't be telling us about it. We'd be reading about it.

mtbr member
    Come to think of it....at the FTF, I heard similar noises all night long from 2 fellow ClubMudders that were snorin' up a storm....barely slept. Riding was great though!
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

Members who have read this thread: 0