XTR is the shizz-nizz...

Cool-blue Rhythm Wilderness Parks, Tampa FL...

Has anyone ridden in the Wilderness Parks in Tampa, FL...?

I'm planning a trip out there this Sunday for a beginners MTB class for my GF. I noticed there are a total of three trails out there; Flatswood, Morris Bridge, and Trout Creek.

What type of trails are these? Are they challenging for an intermediate rider?
    We are riding Trout Creek with the class, which of the other two would you recommend to ride...?

Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    There really isn't much challenging stuff out there with the possible exception of some of the Morris Bridge stuff but even there I've never run across anything like what we have at Alafia or Boyette. That said they are some awesome trails and you can connect them together to make one big ride through all three parks.

Most of it is winding singletrack through the woods with bits of double track mixed in here and there. Parts of it have some roots but for the most part it is flat and smooth; it's the one place I actually put the clipless pedals on to go riding. If it hasn't rained in awhile it can be pretty sandy though so be ready for that.

If I had to recommend a section to ride I would say the interior (inside the paved loop) of the Flatwoods section is my favorite. If you want a bit more challenging stuff you can explore some of the side trails in Morris Bridge but again, I've never found anything out there that compares to the Lithia area so I just enjoy the trail system for what it is and save the tough stuff for another day & another park. Enjoy your ride, I'd be out there with the fiance (want to get her in the class) but I'm off to Ft. Lauderdale to watch the Bulls whip FAU :-)

Cannondale Snob
    It's a great class for beginners; I took it when I started out as well. There is one mildly challenging trail called Heartbreak ridge which is just really rooted up. Everything else is only difficult at race speed.

Show up on a Tuesday night at 6PM and you can ride with there with the SWAMP club each week. Pretty soon they're going to start requiring lights, though. The sun goes down a little quicker in the woods.
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

Weekend Warrior
    I might go and check that out as well, let's see....

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    I wish I could go out there on Tuesday night...but I live in east Orlando...so its a trip for me. Thanks for the write up shortbus; now I'm a little bummed that its going to be such a bland riding day...

But I guess I need to remind myself its for the GF...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

it doesnt suck

I used to ride some of these trails after work, and although they are flat, they are still fun. Near the entrance to Flatwoods there is a cool little gully that you can get some little jumps into, out of and off of, just watch for the nasty spiderwebs. Alot of it is cool singletrack, rooty and off camber here and there. You can go fast through a lot of it, but the scenery is nice enough to take your time. We saw owls, hogs and a coral snake the last time I rode there. Even though it is not bad azz single track, it is still in the woods and you'll probably enjoy it once.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I ride there quite a bit because its the closest to my house. Its great for beginners because there's no danger of falling off the side of a ridge or cliff like Boyette or Alafia. Its definitely rooty, but alot of fun (unless your a DH or FR king). We sometimes park on the north side of Fletcher in the paved parking lot and ride the whole ring. It goes all through the north side (flatwoods) crosses Fletcher, goes through the south side (morris bridge) and back to where you start. Its almost a road ride because there aren't any hills or drops, just lots of winding trail and loops. Its 14 miles so its good for cardio.

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    Cool, thanks for the info guys... Feeling a little better about going out there...
    GF is excited though, so that makes it worth it right there...anything to get out and ride!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Fun Ride!

I usually do the wilderness park full ride at least once a week. Great cardio ride. You don't have to worry about falling off a ridge like at some other places. You can really concentrate on taping out a nice pace. The flatwood section in the middle of the loop is great. Really fast and windy. Great place to go ride after work to relieve some tension.

mtbr member
    I just rode today and it was a bit soupy through most of the trails. Indian was open again and a mud bog. Heartbreak ridge was fun as alwys but with all the rain the roots were really slippery, as if they need any help with being slippery. You will have fun.

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    Awe, I loved this trail system, though I didn't get to see much of it since the GF was feeling out of breathe so we had to cut it short... She didn't even participate in the beginners class and stayed behind with one of the instructors the whole time...which pissed me off... Let's just say Sunday SUCKED!!!!!

I'd like to go out there on my own next time and actually ride the trail...
    (Its just so darn far!!!)

Cannondale Snob
    Sounds like a new GF is in order (and I don't mean Gary Fisher)...
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Didn't we have a similar discussion to this on Sunday night RiskEverything?

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    Quote Originally Posted by RiskEverything
    Sounds like a new GF is in order (and I don't mean Gary Fisher)...
    now, now, thats not very nice..
    I did feel that way though on Sunday!!

I'm keeping her though, she is trying to work on her cardio...she's just not used to outdoor activities... The positive thing is that she is determined to work on her riding!!!

We'll give her a little more time...

Members who have read this thread: 0