mtbr member

What's San Felasco like ????

I've never been and considering it would be close to a 3hr drive, I would like some additional insight before making the trek.

In comparisons to Santos, Reddick, Alafia, how do these trails compare? Primarily blue or red trails? How many miles of trails? Nice scenery? I'm just wondering how advanced it is so I know which buddy to invite along..........

Any info. is helpful.

mtbr member
    San Felasco is lots of yellow and blue single track with some rolling hills. I didn't find anything to be very technical but a couple of the trails are exposed to the sun and it can get hot in the summer. It's a beautiful area and a nice change of pace from our usual trails.

A Superhero Named Tony
    Trails in the front (Cellon & Cotton) would be considered yellow. Trails in the back are mostly blue. There is nothing I would consider red out there. There is around 25 miles of dedicated MTB trails and lots of elevation for Florida. I prefer to run the trails counter clockwise because they are a bit more challenging that way. It's a great place for a workout. If possible, I recommend going with someone familiar with the trails and your riding ability. Some of the trails in back are poorly marked. Without a guide, just make sure you don't plan Cane Break 8 into your route or you're guaranteed to get lost. The front trails can get sandy and washed out but you have to use them to get to the fun trails.

Scenery is nicer than Santos or Reddick for sure, very diverse with sinkholes, fields, creeks, and woods. There is plenty of wildlife if you go at dawn or dusk.

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by scubastud
    I've never been and considering it would be close to a 3hr drive, I would like some additional insight before making the trek.

In comparisons to Santos, Reddick, Alafia, how do these trails compare? Primarily blue or red trails? How many miles of trails? Nice scenery? I'm just wondering how advanced it is so I know which buddy to invite along..........

Any info. is helpful.
    The most challenging thing at SF is the distance and the climbs. Actually it has the best climbing of any park I've tried in central FL. The back section can be tight and rooty. There are a lot of log obstacles placed along the way and while not designed so, there are quite a few opportunity for small jumps. It's a lot of fun in my opinion and can be very fast. The best stuff is on hammock (on the hill). Riders put it down because there are no screaming drops and it has only minimally technical sections, but if you pick up a lot of speed (which is a challenge when going up hill) and if you're not careful, you can still hurt yourself. It is about 70-80% single track. The biggest complaint is that at the start of the tung nut loop is kind of boring (I don't think so). It is open field, double track, riding for about 2-3 miles. After that you're riding single track under a constant canopy of trees with the deer, armadillo, hawks, vultures, rabbits, turtles, squirrels, snakes and even fox (well, I've only seen one fox). It's not exactly easy. Well it is if you constantly hit Razorback or live at the red trails of Santos or Black D's at Alafia, but, I've seen newbs freak and walk their bikes at some of the rooty descents at SF. The easy trails are fun for anyone. The rest of the stuff is at least great for an aerobic workout. This is a good endurance trail.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Sounds like it's certainly worth the drive up there one day this fall/winter. I'm always excited when visiting new trail systems.
    2006 IBEX Trophy Pro
    2007 IBEX Asta Expert SE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scubastud
    Thanks guys. Sounds like it's certainly worth the drive up there one day this fall/winter. I'm always excited when visiting new trail systems.
    Scuba you may still be able to sign up for the Tour de Felasco in January. I did it last year and it's a great ride with great food. http://www.sanfelasco.net/docs/tour2008.pdf

yeah, uh............bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopod
    After that you're riding single track under a constant canopy of trees with the deer, armadillo, hawks, vultures, rabbits, turtles, squirrels, snakes and even fox (well, I've only seen one fox).
    You forgot turkeys and alligators! I ran people out there twice that said there was an alligator on a trail.

San Felasco is heaven on a bike. If you push your speed the place can burn your lungs and definately get technical. I'd say it's the most scenic riding destination in FL.

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFish
    You forgot turkeys and alligators! I ran people out there twice that said there was an alligator on a trail.

San Felasco is heaven on a bike. If you push your speed the place can burn your lungs and definately get technical. I'd say it's the most scenic riding destination in FL.
    That would be so cool! Well from a distance. I've heard of the gators but have yet to see one at SF. They are supposed to be everywhere. I've been told that there are Bobcats or some kind of cat at SF as well, but I haven't seen a trace of that either.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

mtbr member
    While I have fun the 2 times I've been to San Felasco, for me, it is not worth the extra drive time from Orlando (passing Santos and Razorback on the way) to ride there. That being said, -iIf it was the same distance as the other trails, I'd work it into my rotation.

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by BillT
    While I have fun the 2 times I've been to San Felasco, for me, it is not worth the extra drive time from Orlando (passing Santos and Razorback on the way) to ride there. That being said, -iIf it was the same distance as the other trails, I'd work it into my rotation.
    I hear ya. For me it's the same for Carter road. Fortunately for for me I'm exactly in between Razorback and SF. If I feel like I need to torture myself I hit Razorback. If I just want to bask in the scenery or work on my climbing I'll hit SF.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Camping?

Is O'lena State Park the closest for camping?

Full Suspension = sissy
    It depends on what kind of camping you want? Oleno State Park, Blue Springs or Ginnie Springs are all about the same distance away and more tent camping but I believe some may have RV spots as well. There is Traveler's Campground which is right next to I-75 off of 441 in Alachua on the access road that runs behind the Waffle House which has the hook ups for RVs and I'm sure allows Tent Camping as well. Of course there are several Hotels nearby as well but I'd much rather opt for the camping if it were me.
    If at the end of your ride you aren't bruised or bloody......You didn't ride hard enough!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Re

This is true! I was riding one of the trails in the back swampy area and there was a small gator sitting 6 ft off the trail. I was going slow waiting for my wife and it scared the **** out me. My wife rode by it and never even noticed (thank god). Chances are if you're moving with any speed you'd probably miss it unless it was right on the trail. You'd think it was a log in your peripheral vision.
    Last edited by tech44; 10-15-2007 at 02:30 PM.

mtbr member
    San Felasco is not to be missed. One of the things I like about it most is that none of the geography is man made. Think about it, most of our best trails were created by phosphate mining. Major sections of Boyette, Reddick, Santos, Alafia, TOE rip, Carter Road, others? all were former strip mines that have been reclaimed. The resultant geography is a whole lot of fun, but can make for some brutal riding at times and can take away from the flow of a ride. Felasco is just great XC riding. Want to make it more challenging? Ride faster.

One thing that I've noticed this summer more than others is how insects affect the quality of a ride. Spiders, ticks and skeeters! Be advised that I've never run into a golden orb (or any other) kind of spider at Felasco and the mosquitoes are not too bad. However, the ticks are quite nasty.

How about a couple of pics? (the second pic has 2 deer hidden in plain sight)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dave.
    Felasco is just great XC riding. Want to make it more challenging? Ride faster.

How about a couple of pics? (the second pic has 2 deer hidden in plain sight)
    First statement, dead on. The technical nature of the trails only appears at great speed, but remember.....no skidding!

Second statement, those things are borderline invisible.

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by tech44
    This is true! I was riding one of the trails in the back swampy area and there was a small gator sitting 6 ft off the trail. I was going slow waiting for my wife and it scared the **** out me. My wife rode by it and never even noticed (thank god). Chances are if you're moving with any speed you'd probably miss it unless it was right on the trail. You'd think it was a log in your peripheral vision.
    Where did you see it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Gator

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopod
    Where did you see it?
    Out near the back of sweetgum or the ravine loops back in that swampy area back there. It was a year or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by tech44
    Out near the back of sweetgum or the ravine loops back in that swampy area back there. It was a year or so ago.
    sounds about right, that's where the other reports were. I guess they hop from sinkhole to sinkhole. I found tracks after one of the accounts, claw marks with a tail slither in the middle....pretty cool.

Its got what plants crave
    I've grown pretty bored by them because there really isn't anything there that challenges me anymore. I have to really haul arse to have any fun, but I still go there from time to time since it's close. I much prefer Razorback and Santos for the freeride/technical aspects, but San Felasco is fun for a change of pace every now and then. I wish they'd build some bridges or some dirt jumps or something.

Where is my mind?
    sounds about right, that's where the other reports were. I guess they hop from sinkhole to sinkhole. I found tracks after one of the accounts, claw marks with a tail slither in the middle....pretty cool.
    Everyone says they're out in that area. I usually fly right through there. Never even see a trace.

Members who have read this thread: 0