yeah, uh............bikes

We Need a Florida Trails Forum

Come on folks, let's drum up some support for florida forum........I vote that Florida secede from this current union.

i've never seen a single post for arkanas trails.....floridians keep this forum alive.

!sdrawkcab kcusuoy aH
    sure im in even though there are only like 4 trails worth riding......

n3rd
    What we really need is a South-Eastern Alabama-NorthWesternish Florida Iguana owners sub forum for fixed gear off-road cyclists.

Seriously though I wouldn't mind seeing all the forums split up on their own so I wouldn't have to sort through other region's threads when looking for GA/AL stuff. Although the combined regions does have the benefit of enlightening me about trails in other regions such as Mississippi, Florida, and Louisiana when I never would have actively sought out those regions. I'm sure it's easier on the admins to have it set up like this though.. and really I don't feel like I'm sorting through too much stuff I don't want to read.

Shouldn't this really go on the Site Issues or whatever forum for more admins to see?

Where is my mind?
    There are pluses and minuses to seceding. I like the community of multiple states where we can easily ask for trails and tips when deciding to visit other nearby states. But if there is a serious movement to split we seem to be halfway there. There's already a consensus that us Florida riders post more than anyone else. What we do need is an organized society that will help us not only keep our trails but will move to increase the number of trails. Tunelvision is right, we have some excellent trails, but they are few and can be very far apart for some.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Gentlemen, I stand before you today to plead the case of this fine southern state. We can no longer stand idly by as other powers in the union dictate to us our actions, as these actions will destroy our way of life and steal from our children the culture we know and love.

Indeed, the northern aggression has become so vociferous as of late, that I implore each and every one of you to support secession. It is your duty as Floridians to protect what is ours, and not to have it taken by force under a guise of democracy.

n3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by HazGas
    Gentlemen, I stand before you today to plead the case of this fine southern state. We can no longer stand idly by as other powers in the union dictate to us our actions, as these actions will destroy our way of life and steal from our children the culture we know and love.

Indeed, the northern aggression has become so vociferous as of late, that I implore each and every one of you to support secession. It is your duty as Floridians to protect what is ours, and not to have it taken by force under a guise of democracy.
    How northern are these aggressors?

Its got what plants crave
    The south will rise again!

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Florida would be the state that should have it's own forum.

I guess they scissor?
    Last fall we elected the man from plains. And theres lots of talk about a great big change. But the Atlanta Braves they still loose too many games. and the new south thank God is still the same.

Old Nashville's still got a song and dance and the Florida girls still wear
    no under pants, and we all get drunk at the football games and the new south
    thank God is still the same.

The New South is still the same and I'm so glad of it. I don't
    want no little ol' danish rolls I must have ham and grits.
    and my woman does look good in her t shirt, standing in the Georiga rain. and the New South thank God is still the same.
    if you never ride 30 mph, you'll never ride 30 mph

!sdrawkcab kcusuoy aH
    Actually according to the trail review page we have 125 trails 2nd to georgia at 152
    TN 105
    MS 97
    SC 54
    AR 53
    AL 46
    LA 30

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by tunelvision
    Actually according to the trail review page we have 125 trails 2nd to georgia at 152
    TN 105
    MS 97
    SC 54
    AR 53
    AL 46
    LA 30

Okay, I know this started out as a joke, but, just in case, is anyone taking this seriously?
    Just to be clear, I don't.

BTW that number should be updated.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

I guess they scissor?
    i like fLoRiDa bestest cause u can ride all year in shorts!

but I <3 Pisgah in the summertime and Ellijah in the spring

!sdrawkcab kcusuoy aH
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopod
    Okay, I know this started out as a joke, but, just in case, is anyone taking this seriously?
    Just to be clear, I don't.

BTW that number should be updated.
    I see a bunch of numbers? which one in particular? not that I care either. I just like to be a post whore

!sdrawkcab kcusuoy aH
    see......whoring it up

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by tunelvision
    I see a bunch of numbers? which one in particular? not that I care either. I just like to be a post whore
    Just in the general Gainesville area, we can remove the 8th and 20th ave trails as I hear that they're not really bike trails anymore. What used to be the powerlines trail is being developed. Then, we have to respectfully remove Razorback, that was posted twice (and now a tragic loss). We're left with San Felasco, The Rock and Haile's (for once a year).

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    There is some pretty nice singletrack scattered all through town but it's pretty broken up. But I'd rather do that than ride the rock.

thats right living legend
    What Florida does have is the most "people". And what those people need is to know where to go, and what the current conditions are like in the the actuall Mnt's that are closest to them. The trails in Florida are "I'm sure" fine, but every MTB'er needs Mnt's once in a while.

I don't think having their own Forum would be what's best for Florida riders nescisarily.

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    What Florida does have is the most "people". And what those people need is to know where to go, and what the current conditions are like in the the actuall Mnt's that are closest to them. The trails in Florida are "I'm sure" fine, but every MTB'er needs Mnt's once in a while.

I don't think having their own Forum would be what's best for Florida riders nescisarily.
    BA, don't take this thread too seriously, this is just supposed to be a humoristic response to the AR riders request to have their own forum:

http://forums.mtbr.com/southeast-midsouth-ga-tn-al-fl-ms-la-ar/we-need-arkansas-trails-forum-363315.html#post3835056

Not exactly a lot of momentum there either. Some FL riders may balk at the thought of hitting mountains, but after loosing two of our best trails in FL we are certainly in need of some variety.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Re

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopod
    Just in the general Gainesville area, we can remove the 8th and 20th ave trails as I hear that they're not really bike trails anymore. What used to be the powerlines trail is being developed. Then, we have to respectfully remove Razorback, that was posted twice (and now a tragic loss). We're left with San Felasco, The Rock and Haile's (for once a year).
    Actually 8th is still there. It's small, but I don't think it was ever any larger (the bowl and a couple other things are flooded though). 20th has been reduced because of the apartments built there, but there is a trail that still runs the perimeter that's a maybe couple miles. There's also a few other places in town which aren't long but provide some decent 'in-town' rides if you link them together.

"Mad Trails" is still listed, but that is pretty off-limits and overgrown, so that one can probably be removed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm making my third pilgrimage to North Carolina this year right after Christmas. I hope you can ride up there at this time of year and that it won't be too cold. Once you've experienced riding in the mountains, they will keep drawing you back.

But we've got some great stuff too down here.

At Work
    Are there any trails near Titusville, a friend moved down there, he has not found anything but sand.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer
    Are there any trails near Titusville, a friend moved down there, he has not found anything but sand.
    I actually live in Titusville. There are no real good trails here, but if you are willing to drive a little ways there are some good trails.

If you are desperate to ride here in T-ville, you can find several patches of a few hundred yards of rideable trail with some elevation changes at the Barna Ave fire station trails. Enter at the fire station and ride down the paved path approximately 3/4 of a mile. On your left you will see some dead branches lying on the ground and a path leading down a hill. Take this path all the way down the hill for a little thrill. Then come back up and look for a small trail on the left, it's got a small log blocking it. Ride down here and prepare for some hellacious climbs because of the sand. There's a lot of trees blocking the first part of the trail because of the hurricanes. We've tried to cut some of them out of the way but it is difficult to do without a chainsaw. If you keep going, there are lots small trails with some decent elevation changes. Explore around and you will find them. Stay off the fire roads unless you have to, because the sugar sand will kill you. One tip: the water tower is at the highest point around.

There's also a lame 1/4 mile long section at Wuesthoff Park, but it is something to do.

You can also ride (illegaly, but no one seems to care) at Hammock Trails on the wildlife refuge.

If you are willing to drive, check these out:

Fruit Trail in Palm Bay used to be really good, but small. I have heard it got really bad and washed out over the summer, and that the obstacles and jumps have started falling apart. Hopefully it will get fixed.

Over in Orlando, there is Snowhill but it is all flat. I have heard there's some stuff at the "enviromental center" but I haven't been there.

Recently, there has been talk of some newly built trails in DeLeon Springs, which is about an hour away.

There's also Graham Swamp up in Flagler county, about an hour away. I have heard it is very good but haven't had a chance to go yet.

Ft. Pierce is maybe 1:15 away and is really good.

I guess they scissor?
    I actually live in Titusville.
    I live in Cape Canaveral, we should met up for a ride sometime. Someone told me there are some trails in Port St John along Grissom pkwy, do you know anything about these?

Where is my mind?
    You can also ride (illegaly, but no one seems to care) at Hammock Trails on the wildlife refuge.
    Poaching a wildlife refuge? Someone's going to mind!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by deathb4dnf
    I live in Cape Canaveral, we should met up for a ride sometime. Someone told me there are some trails in Port St John along Grissom pkwy, do you know anything about these?
    I have not actually ridden on them, although I have walked through the area. The trails are probably on the same sand pine habitat which occurs along the Atlantic Coastal Ridge here. If you find the real pretty yellow sand, you know the stuff. The pine needles will pack the sand down pretty good as long as you don't ride on it too much though.

Now that you mention it, there are also some small trails off Perimeter Rd. at TICO airport.

The Turtle
    Florida riders -- And all other riders who are stuck within the confines of the large, regionalistic free-for-all style of mtbr's regions...

Feel free to stop in at www.NationalMountainBike.com in your free time!! You'll see that each state is divided into community building forum topics, in hopes of helping riders everywhere actually get to know, and/or ride with the people they post with!!

At this point, the NMB site is still quite young, and it's waiting for people to take over each section like it's their own personal message board!! It may take some time, but we're really hoping to help fill a void that's missed in the current "Large group of states" mentality at other mountain biking forums.

I still really enjoy, and always will -- mtbr.com and all that it stands for. I still use mtbr on a regular basis for gear info, trails info, etc...I love the reviews, the individual manufacturer forums, etc...but I've always missed the simple ability to post in a message board where I just may ride along side the people I'm posting with, since mtbr forces us to post in a region with tons of riders from 8 other states! (Which is great for finding info about other states, but not so great for building local communities)

Stop by and check out NMB!! We're no mtbr, and never could be, but we hope to offer you another way to find other riders to ride with, and to help grow your mountain biking community!!

Currently, most of the action is in the Tennessee forum. The nmb board originated with riders from TN, so we're building slowly, but, well...just slowly, from there out!! Stop by and say hello!

Thanks,
    Reed

Members who have read this thread: 0