Thread: Tuscaloosa

At Work

Tuscaloosa

Anybody here ride at Sokal Park or Lake Lurleen?

mtbr member

Lake Lurleen

I have ridden at LL twice. It is a very nice trail now that the loop is complete. The local club in Birmingham has a ride there on the 18th I think....check the web site at

www.bump.org
    Last edited by justaguy; 11-10-2007 at 07:12 PM.

Dex
    mtbr member
    My son and I ride at both trails occasionally.
    Though, it's has been a many months since we last rode Monny Sokol. At that time there had been lots of trail work done some older trails reopened and on that last trip we met RR and had learned of the "Mars" trail that we didn't know even existed.
    I think "Death by Cement" is my favorite section.
    Noxubee Hills Trail System's FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Noxube...8499244?v=wall

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    I rode LL this past summer. It was a really fun trail with more climbing than you would think. Or maybe the fact that it was (literally) 103* that day made the climbs harder!

Great trail!
    The standing eight count & three knockdown rules are in effect on this trail.

http://compvelo.com/content/

At Work
    rode sokal yesturday, it has been about 9 months since I had ridden........ found many of the older trails open again.......only problem is there are so many split off trails that you get confused.........and I have been riding those trails since they were first built in 1992-1993........... There is one section that has been off limits for years that I think may be back open, it use to be called the deer loop, it was about a mile or so, just a giant loop but it had a fast downhill secton that was great....... gonna try and go back tomorrow and see, did not have time to go see........

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I ride @ Lake Lurleen at least 1x/week and it is great for training, with a good amt of climbing and rolling terrain, as well as nice wood bridges. Don't forget $3 entrance fee. Sokol park has changed (progressed?) a lot since mid 90's and can be confusing. You can print a very nice trail map from the Druid City Bike Club website. It is the same map that is posted at the trailhead.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Rode at LL for the first time in 9 months this past weekend. Had a blast. Its a great change of pace from Oak Mtn (which is my favorite trail). Lots of rolling terrain, but no long climbs. Watch out for the pine straw and sand right now. Since its fall, there is a lot of pine straw on the trail and since we haven't had much rain lately, there is quite a bit of sand on the trail. Just pay attention and you will be fine. Overall its a lot of fun and worth the drive from Bham.

At Work
    hit me up next time you come, may join you....... rode Sokal 2 times over the weekend, trying to get back in shape, been off the bike for a while.

Dex
    mtbr member
    Tator and I made it out to Munny Sokol today and rode all of the reclaimed trails.
    We made a few wrong turns along the way and had to do some backtracking.
    The bridge crossing from 5 Bridges Trail to the reclaimed trails was nicely built and the downhill section of Brutality with the creek crosing was really great!

Then the old spring along the Della Raye Trail was an interesting artifact to look at.
    Hats off to all the hard work that has gone into reclaiming the older trails and the maintaining of them all!!

At Work
    Did you hit the section that use to be called "Deer Loop", it on the back side of the center section, close to the neighborhood that is underconstruction...........

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My wife and I rode LL a couple of weeks ago and met some locals who said they were going to blow the leaves off. Has this work day been done?

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    Quote Originally Posted by Dex
    Tator and I made it out to Munny Sokol today and rode all of the reclaimed trails.
    Dex, you should post a trail review;

http://www.sorbachattanooga.org/trails/trails.php
    The standing eight count & three knockdown rules are in effect on this trail.

http://compvelo.com/content/

n3rd
    I rode LL over the summer and loved it.. it's got a feel of it's own that separates it from the other trails in AL.

Dex
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer
    Did you hit the section that use to be called "Deer Loop", it on the back side of the center section, close to the neighborhood that is under construction..
    Yea, 2 different times..... Some how we found ourselves on that trail when we thought we were on the Cemetery Loop. As soon as I saw the tree with the weird fungus and the bridge on the Troll Trail, I knew then we were on the wrong trail. We immediately turned around and back tracked to find Brutality Trail. Which I am very glad we found.
    Later we rode sections of "Deer Loop" between riding the Troll Trail and taking the short cut so as to get to the start of Antique Creek.

At Work
    Deer Loop was one of my favorites, not sure when it got opened back up, but after you make the loop part, there use to be a downhill section, but they bypassed it and created another section to get back to the main loop. not to fond of it, does not have good flow, really slow going............... I like tight sections at times but that section is a bit to tight, may go out myself and clear the downhill section, there are not that many of us old riders out there anymore.......

Members who have read this thread: 0