Al.
    Hooligan

Thomson Day - 1/18/2008 - 1/20/2008

This is a great event - lots of fun and the factory tour is very cool. If you have never been before - GO!

Al.
    Hooligan
    This is an x-post from Bruce Dickman on the SORBA forum - Thomson day is getting close, and will apparently be HUGE this year.

I heard that Maurice Tierney, MR. DIRT RAG,
    .................... has booked a flight towards Atlanta around...
    ........................................12noon Friday....
    Heading to the southern half of the Georgia for a weekend with RAREBEAT EXPRESS "The Band" playing with other Special Guest's appearing for our featured... Acoustic Hour's into the wee hours of the night with ....................Sunday RAMBO Style Breakfast starting around 7:15-8:30ish with the 1st Ride leaving @ 9am SHARP!! for Arrowhead Trails. IMPORTANT WE ARE NOT RETURNING TO MACON...... 2nd Ride leaves @11:35ish @ Dauset Nature Preserve Trails for a 1pm meet up and ride 20 miles more from..... the 12-24 miles from Arrowhead Trails u had just twenty mins earlier.....

............THIS IS ALL FOR A MAN WHO HAS DONE SO MUCH FOR ..........MOUNTAIN BIKING OVER THE LAST 30 YEARS.......

Ronnie's 69th Birthday Party, & 12 year old granddaughter...

Please bring a Handmade Card for them.....................

Believe in ............. 500 folks showing up......Maybe even David Turner who's donation of the Turner Flux Frame in your size,,,, & Maybe even other notable guest as Velonews,John Karr, Georgia Medalist Sports, Tom Sauret SORBA's Executive Director with ALL 25 Chapters Represented as well (hoping on this honest) ,Folks from as far away as CA or OR, or Canada, Keith Bontrager, Jeff Jones,Rebecca Roush, Jerimah Bishop,Pua & Ron Sawicki, Jay Hoots,ProLink, Maxxis Tires,The New Mountain Bike team out of Athens...?, Jay Frankin,The Infamous "Noelle & Shrimper",The KING of Bike Jousting, Mike Mooney,Sweetwater420 and festive keg's, The Swank/9th Place Leadville Man, Garth Prosser, with the almost legendary Jeff Adams appearing only for one night, Mr. & Mrs Duck, The Johnston Family ie...Bio Wheels out of Asheville, & 10-12 Vendor's with Demo's Bikes, such as:Cannoondale Bikes, Maverick Bikes w"Cartecay Bike Shop",Jamis wTucker Bikeways, Gary Fisher w Freeflite Bike's, MTBTandems.com, w Alex Nutt, Tom Hughes Biketown w/Trek,Specialized/ ? w Outspokin Bikes, APB IF, SpecializedEpic Bikes, Niner's Dalton Bike's, Giant Roswell Bike's RichSSDickey,Swiftwick, Tifosi Optics,Chris & Tina Pick, Of Blue Bikes, The O'Dea's, rumors that even the YAZOO Team may show Hoffman, T Roy 7 & even the Devil Hensley, with Addictive Cycles Trailing near by ,Kevin from Sweetwater "The Brew Master" himself wow wouldn't that be something, Laird Knight of Granny Gear, I hear is coming, and maybe even Mr. Hawley, wouldn't that be sweet,

Always,for those who were missed are welcomed in the Vending Area or camping area just email social@sorba.org a quick note..... thanks Smile

All Prizes HANDMADE By The JEFF & MALLIE DEIN & Family's
    ... couldn't ever do this without OMBA CHAPTER as well.........
    Gotta believe that even Tinker may show up always hoping......

Folks, this event if.. everything happens will be a great way to Kick off The 20th SORBA/IMBA Anniversary all happening..in Macon, GA... ....................................January 18-20,2008.

Give A SHOUT OUT if you are coming....................

Don't Miss out on the fun and games & weekend of riding in and around Macon, GA................................................ .......................................

Expert Crasher
    The 4:20 endurance race on Saturday - is it at the Thomson facility trails?

Looking for any info on the Thomson trails (if the race is there). Anyone ridden there?
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Al.
    Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    The 4:20 endurance race on Saturday - is it at the Thomson facility trails?

Looking for any info on the Thomson trails (if the race is there). Anyone ridden there?

All the events on Saturday are on site at Thomson. The trail is just behind the factory. The Sundays rides are at other locations.

I have no idea how they will set up the course, but you can probably expect about 5 miles per lap of tight twisty single track, with some short climbs, although I couldn't tell you how much elevation gain there is.

More info on the trails: http://www.sorbachattanooga.org/New%...ITE/trails.htm

Expert Crasher
    Thanks. The SORBA description is below:
    Trail Description
    One of Macon's oldest trails, the L. H. Thomson trail is located just west of the Wilson airport. The course is behind the L. H.Thomson Company's factory at 7800 NE Industrial Boulevard. The Thomson company makes bicycle seat posts and handlebar stems. The trail is about 5 kilometers of technical single-track. Very little of this trail is level. Obstacles include log jumps, switchbacks, and steep drops. Some erosion has left exposed roots that will challenge your bike handling skills. The landowners would like you to sign a waiver before you hit the trail. This document helps ensure the trail stays open for future riders. Just go inside and ask about the bike trail. Park on the right side of the building and begin your ride at the gap in the fence.
    http://www.sorbachattanooga.org/New%...ITE/trails.htm
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

No Dab Race

Ok folks we have a couple of things happening at THOMSON DAY

1) A NO DAB Race for 420, which means if you put your foot down for any reason you are out. Yes there will be others on the course ie... demo bike rider's, sport racer's beginner's & Pro's. So I have decided to call the first ever NO DAB RACE ofcourse it is on your Honor.

2) The Pixie Race it is 16inch wheels or smaller only. This will be a Heat race of 5 or more bikes in each Heat No rules for this race except you must go around the entire field.

3) Kids Race starts at 10am runs until time is called 11:30-11:45. 8yr old & under ride the field. 8 + years old will ride the entire trail for the duration of the KIDS RACE.........

Please if you plan o Parting please plan on Staying the Night. Thanks so much and see everybody in two weeks for the best Party to kick off SORBA/IMBA 20th Year in building and Maintaining Trals throughout the SOUTHEAST.

Go make a difference
    Bruce~
    My deployment got pushed back to 21JAN and since I'm staying at my folks' house in Macon, I'll see you guys at Thomson. Now I have some time to catch some riding before I head out!

See ya soon!
    ~Charles
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

10 Days and counting

Ok 10 days and `counting for the biggest Mountain Bike party in January in Macon GA.

Camping is Free and the cost is lower than most races throughout the southeast. Plus Rare Beat Express is playing along with other artist. Food, Party, Race, Bike Jousting Bike Bullfightig and many other games are planned. so come on down.

bruce

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

7 days

Ok 7 days and counting.....................................

For the Biggest SORBA/IMBA PARTY in the History of both Orginzations....

The first ever NO DAB Race

The Pixie Race

The Charite Races.

Kids Races

Games for the Kids

The Bike Jousting all the way from NC is on the way!

Vendors are a plentiful for this event with DEMO bikes....

Sweetwater is flowing

Live Music from Rarebeat Express is playing with Shane & Tony acoustic hour + a very special guest maybe is showing up late in the evening.

All for only $20 if your a SORBA Member & $35 to join.

3 meals all hot and late night snacks!!!

Wow can't beat the price or the fun of this event.......

See everyone in 7 days and counting down......

THOMSON DAY 2008

bring a card for Ronnie Birthday
    Last edited by SSINGA; 01-11-2008 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Font size

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    bdickman asked me to post this sad news about Ronnie Thomson. This is a cut and paste from the SORBA forum.

Posted by Nay on SORBA forum:
    I was saddened to learn this morning that Ronnie Thomson passed away yesterday. I don't know what caused his death.

I spoke with Bruce, who has talked with Ronnie's son. His son wishes Thomson Day to continue, but there will be some alterations.

In place of a birthday party will be a memorial service. Please bring a card of condolence for the family. There also will be no factory tours, per his son's request.

His son made it clear that he wanted all other activities to take place, to honor the memory of his father and what he's done for the cycling community.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem

Sad News R.I.P Ronnie Thomson

Forward Email:

FYI, From Tom Sauret, SORBA Executive Director. I will pass details as they come about.

Dear Friends,

It is with great sadness that I must tell you that Ronnie Thomson passed away yesterday. He was 69 years old. I do not know the cause of his death, but Bruce Dickman, the Thomson Day organizer, has told me Ronnie was at work when he died.

It is likely that Thomson Day will be turned into a memorial, but the family will communicate their wishes with Bruce. Bruce and Robin Allen then will communicate the information concerning next weekend's activity. I would keep an eye on nthe webpage for developments as well.

Ronnie was a true friend of cyclists and very kind supporter of SORBA. We will miss him very much. This is indeed sad news.

I know Bruce and Robin will keep us all updated on the wishes of the family.

Take care everyone.

Tom Sauret
    SORBA

__________________________________________________ ________________________

update on the Thomson site

Ronnie Thomson Appreciation Day

This years Ronnie Thomson Appreciation day will be very hard for all of us here at Thomson. This weekend Ronnie Thomson died. It is the families wish that the festival continue, and it will. Thomson is no longer just a brand, it is a legacy. Ronnie brought so much to cycling as he looked at everything with a different perspective. Appreciation Day is scheduled for January 18th through 20th, 2008. Camping, a 4 Hour Race and all kinds of bike events. Bonfires, live music, you name it. Brought to you by SORBA and OMBA this is a weekend of camping, riding, and fun, mark your calenders. Come on and plan to have a good time, as that would be a fitting celebration for the man who did so much for cycling.

Members who have read this thread: 0