Expert Crasher

Sweet Home Alabama

Had a free day from school today, got up at 5:30 (habit) and it was SOOO nice out, 69 wonderful degrees. What the heck, loaded up the 29'er single speed in the truck (my full squish is down for maintenance) and hammered Swayback for a few hours this morning. 20.12 miles in 2:38, average 8.3 mph or so. My legs are smoked, I don't know how some of these pros do the enduro things on singlespeeds .

I won't walk normal for a few days but that whispering voice ebbing from the trailhead this morning that said "bring it" isn't talking now!

Few pics of the rooty, rocky goodness that is Swayback.

Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

The Voice of Reason
    swayback is sweet on a ss 29er. have you tried it at oak mountain?
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

Expert Crasher
    No, I've only ridden OM one time, few weeks ago. We started from the South trailhead and went clockwise, that fireroad climb would kill me on the SS.

I like the big wheel feel on Swayback but I still think I'm faster on my full suspension bike in many areas. It just depends, on this bike, I can squirt out of a corner like no one's business, being a SS and aluminum, any pedal input equals forward motion, yet I know I lose speed on the rough because I can't just plow through while pedalling and some uphills as my legs tire out.

I'm toying with the idea of making this bike 1x5 next spring, running some 18-32 size gears and a short cage rear derailleur. Would make it a bit more capable in some sections - but take away the purity of a single speed.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

n3rd

Argh..

I dislike you for posting those pictures of swayback and speaking of singlespeeds and singletrack. As soon as I saw those pictures I was like hmm.. I must ride Swayback now.. as it's been like 2 months since I've ridden it excluding the time I pedaled about 75 yards with you and my BB blew up. Swayback is really a near perfect course for a SS.. I had a blast when I rode it back in July..

I've got to ("need to") test the lights Thursday prior to Dauset and I am seriously considering driving up to Swayback and getting a light dusk ride in then bringing out the lights for a short jaunt. Sounds much more pleasant than the "local" (still an hour drive for me) singletrack. I'm not sure what the rules are about night rides are there though? I've run it (as in running on foot) at night before so hope I wasn't breaking any rules then..

Only problem is the work traffic I will encounter about the time I roll through Montgomery & Wetumpka.. bah.

Also, you realize if you go to a 1x5 you have to get a rigid fork!

Expert Crasher
    I might be game for a Thursday ride - will have to see what my homework load is. This whole 'adult learning model' type of school program is sometimes conflicting - do I ride and have fun or do I read 180 pages out of whatever book I'm supposed to read that night.

I perfected my SS route yesterday, I rode it 4 times or so - so, if I can ride Thursday and if you can keep your BB together, I'll be happy to show you, in the daylight of course b/c I have no light!

Oh - and no rigid fork for me, that's the realm of young people.

Expert Crasher
    Charlie - can't go tonight, forgot my son's football practice. I'm still a wee bit sore anyway so I'll do a nice 7 miles around the base here to stretch the legs and the pull my full squish apart so I can install some mucho better Enduro MAX bearings.

n3rd
    Don't think I'm gonna be coming up anyway.. I got a ride in at the Dothan Campus Trails last night to test out the lights, went pretty well. I need to get everything packed up and squared away tonight so I can get on the road asap tomorrow looks like it will just be some extremely boring road biking for me tonight..

Whistling in the Dark
    Dec 2006
    Had a great ride at swayback this morning. Humidity was down and the trail was barely damp. Anyone up for a ride in the next couple of days?

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury+Fly
    Had a great ride at swayback this morning. Humidity was down and the trail was barely damp. Anyone up for a ride in the next couple of days?
    So, where is this Swayback trail that you all speak of?

Expert Crasher
    I'm going Monday, thought you were going to DC? My full suspension bike is still at Cycle Escape getting new bearings installed, so I'm still on the SS.

Swayback Bridge Trail is just north of Wetumpka, AL, roughly 20-25 miles northeast of Montgomery.

Whistling in the Dark
    Dec 2006
    No, I'll be around, not going on the trip. Greenlight, are you still going to Monte Sano?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    So, where is this Swayback trail that you all speak of?
    It is in the little town of Wetumpka, near Montgomery. About an hour and a half from Birmingham. Tight, rooty, rocky Alabama singletrack. Quite a bit different from Oak Mtn near Pelham. It is technical and has a personality all its own. Do a Mapquest search and look up Swayback Bridge/Wetumpka and you will be able to get there

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE JONES
    It is in the little town of Wetumpka, near Montgomery. About an hour and a half from Birmingham. Tight, rooty, rocky Alabama singletrack. Quite a bit different from Oak Mtn near Pelham. It is technical and has a personality all its own. Do a Mapquest search and look up Swayback Bridge/Wetumpka and you will be able to get there
    Thanks! I'll look into it.

Expert Crasher
    No, I'll be around, not going on the trip. Greenlight, are you still going to Monte Sano?
    Ok - I'll give you a call tonight. Probably not going to Monte Sano now, had to make a responsible adult decisions

n3rd
    Think I'll be coming up to Swayback this weekend.. I've had enough long distance driving for a while so I don't think I'll be making the Monte Sano trip either. Not sure if it will be Fri or Saturday though.. I'm kinda leaning to Sat. so I can get in a nice cool morning ride. I plan on taking it pretty easy though.. my body hurts right now thanks to Dauset and it was painful to grip a jug of OJ this morning to pour it--no cycling this week I don't believe.. until Swayback.

Expert Crasher
    And you wanted me to get a rigid front end

I did 30.4 this morning, same route as last week. Had a blast - I enjoy doing the same circuit over and over, by knowing the terrain, I can push other aspects like speed and handling gaining confidence that will make me a better rider. I know how far I can lean my 29'er now, how to attack certain features and how best to ride the hardtail frame over the rough stuff. I'm actually ruining my full suspension riding style...

May have another option for Monte Sano... still undecided.

n3rd
    I'm definitely coming up Saturday morning.. going to try and grab some video of swayback.. not sure which section would be best.. zipper? what else? I don't know my way around as well as I should. Plan on getting some pics too. I've got an Olympus 770SW i've been wanting to test out MTBing.. shockproof/crushproof/waterproof/impactproof.. plan on mounting it to the bars and/or seat for various video footage.. plus taking it off for some still shots.

Any of you local folks gonna be around saturday morning?

By the way the rig is going back to a front suspension for now.. though I'm getting a pop-lock put on so I can lock it out.. I just don't think I can handle another 12 hour fully rigid heh. It'll be going back to full rigid whenever I get around to buying a new frame though. I'm also considering buying a geared hardtail.. used and old though. I don't know how much use it would get but I think it might be nice to get some geared rides every now and again..

Whistling in the Dark
    Dec 2006

filming swayback

My suggestion is the loop that is on the other side of the power lines from the zipper. Ridden in the 'forward' direction for the black loop, once you cross the access road lines that comes in from the pavement there are two creek crossings that are nice deep dips (about 1 ft) and right back up again. There are low crossing trees over the first one. That section has become one of my favorite.

Expert Crasher
    Charlie - I'll be at Monte Sano Saturday.

To make it easier to switch forks, see if you can get another crown race and star nut, put one on each fork and it'll take about 5 minutes to swap forks.

n3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    Charlie - I'll be at Monte Sano Saturday.

To make it easier to switch forks, see if you can get another crown race and star nut, put one on each fork and it'll take about 5 minutes to swap forks.
    I dont plan on putting the rigid fork back on until I have another frame to put the reba on.. then the rig will just stay rigid. But the reba is getting one of those kits where i can lock it out on the fly..

n3rd
    My suggestion is the loop that is on the other side of the power lines from the zipper. Ridden in the 'forward' direction for the black loop, once you cross the access road lines that comes in from the pavement there are two creek crossings that are nice deep dips (about 1 ft) and right back up again. There are low crossing trees over the first one. That section has become one of my favorite.
    Video turned out bad.. i couldn't figure out a good position to get the camera mounted to.. ended up trying the handlebars which turned out bad and the camera kept flopping around.

I'm gonna try and make a helmet mount.. would work better i think.. too much vibration on the handlebars.

Members who have read this thread: 0