Expert Crasher

Swayback riders - trail conditions update

For those that ride Swayback often, got one request for you all. As you pass through the few areas in the shade that are still soft/muddy - please do your best to not go around and create a new line. I know the temptation well as I run low knob tires on my 29'er (Racing Ralph and Dry X which suck with a capital S when packed with mud, I just dismount and do my best cyclocross meets Olympic long jumper impersonation) Also, there are a lot of ruts in these soft areas that could use a good tamping so, if you could, please take the time to flatten the spoilage that has been pushed up if you make a rut, kind of like fixing your divot on the green in golf.

My son and I, with the help of Mercury+Fly, cleared the leaves and deadfall from the area in green below. The trail is in GREAT condition now, save for the few areas that just never dried out before major ruts formed. It's super fast, railing the freshly cleared dirt today was awesome.

Thanks to XRay_Ed who cleared the way with the TOLA trail Czar so we could get the clearing done. 7+hours of clearing is worth many more hours of big smiling fun

Head on out and hit the trails hard, just help where you can. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

banned
    GLG, thanks for your efforts at keeping everyone on their toes and for the work you do...it is appreciated

Expert Crasher
    Eddie - it's part of the fun of mtn biking. Or as they call it down here, root riding.

There were some Birmingham dudes down here this morning, talked to them a while after finishing up morning blowing chores. (no dirty pun intended)
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    Eddie - it's part of the fun of mtn biking. Or as they call it down here, root riding.

There were some Birmingham dudes down here this morning, talked to them a while after finishing up morning blowing chores. (no dirty pun intended)
    I'll be at OM tomorrow with the SS....Gotta get my SS legs back

Expert Crasher
    I'm the opposite, I need to get back on my little wheeled bike again. Full squish is calling to me - just need my new pedals to come in b/c the stupid left pedal broke again.

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    Kev, you are awesome! Your efforts are much appreciated!

I spent yesterday smashing my will to live on one of the hardest MTB events around, the Snake Creek Gap Time Trial on the Pinhote trail, Dalton Ga. No race report yet, but here's some info;

http://www.nwgasorba.org/the_snake.html

Results;

http://www.nwgasorba.org/Snake2008/S...aryResults.htm

Stories from other suvivors, I mean racers;

http://www.sorba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17686

There's 2 more of these races the first weekend of Feb & March. Bring it on boys, it'll be one of the hardest things you've ever done!
    The standing eight count & three knockdown rules are in effect on this trail.

http://compvelo.com/content/

Expert Crasher
    Ed - it sounds like a ton of fun. I'll consider it for one of the upcoming races. Looking at some of the times - the winners must have been FLYING.

How techinical is the course? Just wondering if it's 29er HT or 26" full squish territory.

Expert Crasher
    Ok - significant storm yesterday, Weatherunderground shows 1.01 inches of rainfall in Wetumpka so I'm hoping Swayback was spared the torrential rains which would lead to significant erosion.

I'm glad most of the leaves are down already b/c this would have knocked down what remained and 'undid' the 10+ miles of clearing.

I hope today is clear and breazy so it'll promote drying in anticipation of a weekend rush on the trails.

Hope those in the affected storm path faired well and minimal damage was done.

I know Tuskeegee/HWY 29 area by Auburn (i.e. Pleasant Hill trail and Bartram) took a schwacking too.

Members who have read this thread: 0