Not Smart Enough to Quit

Swayback Endurance Training Ride 12/15/07

OK guys, you asked for it, here it is!

Here's what I'm thinking;

I have a loop of about 9 miles that should take just under an hour at a steady endurance race "ride all day" pace. This will allow us to refuel in the parking lot every hour so we can practice pit stops for 6 & 12 hour races. I'm thinking about 4 laps, 2 in each direction. I'm kind of shooting for a start around 10 am or so.

If we feel froggy, we can do more. If anybody wants to do less, then do less. The idea here is to train for the endurance race that I and several other plan (hope ) to do in 2008. Hopefully this will be a "semi-social" ride, with minimal stops and delays but I think that we can get everybody around without getting lost.

Sound off!
    The standing eight count & three knockdown rules are in effect on this trail.

http://compvelo.com/content/

n3rd
    I'll be there, most likely on the SS since all the races I've signed up for next year are in the SS category..

If I'm feeling lazy I'll bring the gearie but I don't really like it's geometry.. maybe cause I still only have like 4 rides on it.

Also, I'm planning a "be like ed" century next year with the fixie I'm getting .

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    New fixie!

What ya getting? Have you bought it yet? If not, pm me. All fixies are not created equal!

Expert Crasher
    Ed - I'm in.

I'm thinking I'll do it on my 29er since that's the bike I intend to do the 6-hour endurance race on next May. Will give me a good indication of how comfortable my setup is.

Hopefully, I'll have my 29" Racing Ralph on hand.....

BTW - I'll need to get some tips on Chamois Butt'r use, never done that before
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

I wear white socks
    Apr 2007

Count me in!

I would like to join also.

Does this 9 mile loop skip the "tougher" climbs in the back corner by the bridge? Am I going to be the only one there with gears? I would hate to leave everyone behind because everyone else is disadvantaging themselves

Expert Crasher
    I put 6 gears on my 29er, no granny gear though - not that I could keep up with you and the new MotoLite anyway!
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandals
    I would like to join also.

Does this 9 mile loop skip the "tougher" climbs in the back corner by the bridge? Am I going to be the only one there with gears? I would hate to leave everyone behind because everyone else is disadvantaging themselves
    I'm not exactly sure which climbs that you are talking about, but I was going to lrave out the 2 mile section that has the "elevator" as well as the half mile section known as Bashturd loop.

I plan to go gearie unless it's wet, then it's the SS.

Anybody else? Where's the pink turtle dude? K2, sound off!

Expert Crasher
    Sounds like it'll be a great loop then. I'm not quite sure where Bashturd is but if it's that almost 90 degree little nastiness on the black loop - good choice to leave that out.

Wherever - I'm along for the ride.

Expert Crasher
    Ed - I was out there Thursday pm with my son and the leaf cover is pretty thick. About 4:45 pm as we were headed back, it got pretty darn hard to see where the trail was sometimes.

I've got a gas powered leaf blower with 200mph capability , it'll do some mighty fine blowin. I think I'll do some maintenance before we head out. Our torture session on the 15th will be primarily Red and Black routes?

Go make a difference
    Hmmmmm.....sounds interesting. I'm not making promises but will see about joining ya'll for the sheer joy of riding my bike. I got in about 20 miles yesterday and felt good, except that I forgot some butt butter

As for the leaves, dude, it's Fall. They were fine yesterday. Enjoy them. Relish the sound of your tires rolling on them. The trails were still distinguishable. The leaves give it more of a backcountry feel....like you're actually getting away.

Chris, I'll be on gears so don't feel inferior, friend.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

n3rd
    I will be there (if I don't forget again, sorry Charles..), but like K2 I'll be there just for riding me bike and getting back in the swing of things.. I haven't really ridden in about 2 months now except for some pretty random short rides peppered in there. I'm hoping to get about 30 miles in on the road this weekend since I've got to work again.. figured I'd just ride prior to work and then ride to work and then finish my ride after.. best thing about IT related jobs is there's no one around on the weekend so I can get all stinky on the bike and not have to worry about it when I get to work!

You guys are starting to scare me with your tales of training for training..

On your left!!!!!
    I plan on riding 50 miles. Who wan'ts to go with.
    I'm poor, broke,busted,disgusted and can't be trusted!

Every man belieives in something and I believe I'll have one more beer.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by k2biker
    Hmmmmm.....sounds interesting. I'm not making promises but will see about joining ya'll for the sheer joy of riding my bike. I got in about 20 miles yesterday and felt good, except that I forgot some butt butter

As for the leaves, dude, it's Fall. They were fine yesterday. Enjoy them. Relish the sound of your tires rolling on them. The trails were still distinguishable. The leaves give it more of a backcountry feel....like you're actually getting away.

Chris, I'll be on gears so don't feel inferior, friend.

I know it's fall - but some off those off-camber bench cut portions around the lake were a bit slippery. Kills the joy of speed knowing that at any moment, you could emulate Evil Kneivel (RIP) and vault into the murky waters of Jordan lake.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by saviour machine
    I plan on riding 50 miles. Who wan'ts to go with.
    details? When, where?

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by cartecs3
    You guys are starting to scare me with your tales of training for training..
    Ahem...no one made you go to that beautiful, sunny carribean island

Get on with it man....pedal

Are you bringing the new Cannondale?

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    I know it's fall - but some off those off-camber bench cut portions around the lake were a bit slippery. Kills the joy of speed knowing that at any moment, you could emulate Evil Kneivel (RIP) and vault into the murky waters of Jordan lake.
    Aw, come on man. You won't fly THAT far!

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by xray_ed
    Aw, come on man. You won't fly THAT far!
    I go that fast!

Stop reading...go ride!!!
    Sounds like a great time. I'm going to try and talk some of my my Mobile Velo teammates into heading up for the day. You think camping at the TH will be a problem?

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    Quote Originally Posted by bjeylee
    Sounds like a great time. I'm going to try and talk some of my my Mobile Velo teammates into heading up for the day. You think camping at the TH will be a problem?
    You guys are certainly more than welcome, but I don't know how kosher camping at the trailhead would be. I don't know if it is actually "banned" but I've never seen anybody do it.

Plus there are zero facilities.

Expert Crasher
    Ed- I think there is a no camping sign near the trail head. Not sure, however, there may be some facilities down by that YMCA camp down the road.

I'd be most concerned with that freakin dog that wanders around when he's not chained up at the trailer by the parking lot.

Do you have any insight/wisdom on if it's kosher to blow the leafs on the trail?

n3rd
    Ahem...no one made you go to that beautiful, sunny carribean island

Get on with it man....pedal

Are you bringing the new Cannondale?
    Hey, my brother did make me! and he's doing it all over again in June.. SOB.. can't someone get a decent sibling. Geez!

My riding is pretty limited to the road except a few weekends a month and riding in the wind while it's cold doesn't top my priority list. I freakin hate cold weather.. gimmie 105 degree temps any day!

And I'm thinking no on the Cannondale.. I don't like the geometry as much as my Gary Fisher 29er..the C'dale feels like I'm sitting up reeeaallyy high and far forward. I also don't really like riding a gearie.. not sure why but I enjoy my ride more on the SS even though it hurts a good bit more especially now that I'm out of shape.. plus I plan to race the Rig again in everything I do next year so kinda pointless to ride the gearie.

I thought I was going to drop the SS thing after Dauset but I don't see it happening.. too much fun on the SS and given that I'm pretty uncaring on how long it takes me to finish a particular event and my lack of mechnical aptitude and lack of anyone coming along with me that has mechanical aptitude I figure a SS is much safer. Unsure of the suspension issue still.. rigid is on there right now..

I guess the camping was just for the race then? Cause there were quite a few folks camping for the race a few months ago? Either way i'll try and rally the troops.

On your left!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bjeylee
    I guess the camping was just for the race then? Cause there were quite a few folks camping for the race a few months ago? Either way i'll try and rally the troops.
    Camping will not be a problem.No one will say anything. There are a a couple of great camping spots close to the trail head if you don't want to camp at the trail head.P.M. me If you want me to meet you out there and show you guys where to camp.
    I'm poor, broke,busted,disgusted and can't be trusted!

Every man belieives in something and I believe I'll have one more beer.

Sounds good. Thats the answer I've been looking for. Hope to see you all there.

Go make a difference
    Hey guys,
    I won't be making this ride. I was planning to go home this weekend and ride with you guys, but my best friend is having his 30th birthday party next weekend so I need to be there. The upside to this is that I'll get to ride my home trails!!!!

Ed/Chris/Charlie~ I'm sorry I won't get to see you guys before I leave now. Thanks for the fun times and encouragement. I'll find you in 2009 when I get back and we'll grab a big cold brew and a good ride!!

~Charles
    Charles Myrick

n3rd
    Have fun/Be safe over there.. Cya in '09.. which sounds weird saying considering it's not 2008 yet. Do you still post/update your blog when you're over there?

Ed are you still shooting for a 10am start?

Also checked the weather for next weekend.. high of 58/Sunny.. should be nice if that doesn't change.

Expert Crasher
    I did 2+ hours out there today and the leaves sure add some 'spice' to the ride. Holy cow, you just never know when the front will slip about 4" to either side, and rear brake lock up is a wee bit easy at times.

It's a whole different trail when all the leaves are down and you can really see what's up ahead. I did enjoy that part.

I wear white socks
    Apr 2007
    Charles,
    Was nice riding with ya while you were here. It is really weird that the only time I have ever seen a turtle while riding is when you were with us. Definately look us up when you get back.

Seems like everyone is getting some practice for our practice now

I am really looking forward to this ride.

Go make a difference
    Charlie,
    Yea, I'll be updating my blog. I actually need to now but I've been busy with work and trying to get all this paperwork and online training done for the new job.

I'll definitely look you guys up when I get back. I'll check in from time to time I'm sure and talk some smack about your race results!
    Charles Myrick

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    Time change!

The Columbus crew is wanting to get an earlier start. Is 8 am too early?

I wear white socks
    Apr 2007
    You might not want to see me if I don't get enough beauty rest.

Fine with me, that gives us enough time for 2 more laps.

Expert Crasher
    8 a.m. is fine with me as well. The trails will be tacky from the dew and the rocks slick. Add in some honory leaves and it sounds like a great time!

n3rd
    Holy crap.. I hate morning people! We might as well be starting at sunrise!

I will aim to be there at 8.. if I'm actually there by that time or not is another matter.

Expert Crasher
    Ed - just watched Channel 12 news, calling for rain Saturday.

Time to start doing the weather dance. High 63, low 54. If the rain stays away until our slug session is done, it'll be great temps for riding.

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    Ed - just watched Channel 12 news, calling for rain Saturday.

Time to start doing the weather dance. High 63, low 54. If the rain stays away until our slug session is done, it'll be great temps for riding.
    Yep, saw that.

Stay tuned to this channel for more information.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by xray_ed
    Yep, saw that.

Stay tuned to this channel for more information.
    Standing by. I got my shifter/cable yesterday. All is good.

Looks like 50% chance of rain, as early as 9 a.m.

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    Standing by. I got my shifter/cable yesterday. All is good.

Looks like 50% chance of rain, as early as 9 a.m.
    They are WRONG I tell ya!

My crystal ball (ok so it's a snow globe ) tells me it will be cloudy & cool until 12:32 pm when it will begin to rain & it will rain until 4:47 pm.

But that's just a guestimate!

Expert Crasher
    Here's an opportunity to try 4:20 in a "race like" situation - no too far away.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2363/...0a31a37e_o.jpg

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    Here's an opportunity to try 4:20 in a "race like" situation - no too far away.
    Yeah, I think I want to do that one. Plus I'd really like to take the tour of the Thompson seatpost factory.

Expert Crasher
    Ed - weather forecast has changed a bit. 10% chance at 8 am, up to 30% by 12pm - I say we go for it and make a decision on the fly if it looks like we'll get hit with a storm.

It's your event though so the final call is up to you.

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    Ed - weather forecast has changed a bit. 10% chance at 8 am, up to 30% by 12pm - I say we go for it and make a decision on the fly if it looks like we'll get hit with a storm.

It's your event though so the final call is up to you.
    Oh yeah, it's on! But really, it's not an "event". It's just a bunch of like minded individuals getting together for a ride!

My lawyer made me say that......

Expert Crasher
    BOLMIs (bunch-o like minded individuals) it is. See you in the morning.

n3rd
    I'm not gonna make it.. worked late everyday this week and will be working tomorrow. Maybe I'll make it up to Swayback Sunday for my own outing..

Trying to get some things taken care of before the end 'o the year for the 'ol bonus..

Expert Crasher
    Charlie - it rained a bunch yesterday so Swayback will be slick today with slimy wet leaves.

Members who have read this thread: 0