mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Southeast: downhill + camping suggestions, please

My friend and I are interested in doing some camping and downhill. We're in north FL but really want to do some real mountain riding. Can someone suggest a place around southeast where we could hit some downhill single track and have a campsite preferably at the bottom of the trail?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Check the NC board. Plenty of places in Pisgah.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Is Pishag even in the mountains? I see it's 700-800' elevation and I would think there are some very good areas to ride.

I'm hoping for a place that has at least 1000' of elevation change.

Anything near Chattanooga or Rome? I'd say the I-75 corridor would be the realm we are looking to travel.

Thanks!!!!

mtbr member
    Pretty much the only way your going to get 1000 ft of elevation change, is to ride up and down several mountains. This ain't Colorado.

GA - Bear Creek, Pinhoti Rome- Pigeon Mnt
    NC - Pisgah, DuPont
    TN - can't say
    SC - Isaqueena - even has a freeride section (no camping)

Al.
    Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by d365
    Pretty much the only way your going to get 1000 ft of elevation change, is to ride up and down several mountains. This ain't Colorado.

GA - Bear Creek, Pinhoti Rome- Pigeon Mnt
    NC - Pisgah, DuPont
    TN - can't say
    SC - Isaqueena - even has a freeride section (no camping)
    TN - Tanasi AKA Ocoee - camp at the Thunder rock campground and ride it all but don't miss the Thunder Rock Express; Raccoon Mountain, near Chattanooga - no camping that I know of but the trail is awesome; Also check out Chilhowee.

Bear Creek/Pinhoti is an excellent suggestion - from the bottom of the trail on Gates Chapel Road to the top of Potato Patch Mountain (2+ miles beyond the overlook) is 2000'. It's about 1000 feet of climbing to the overlook. Plus there is a campground at the bottom of the trail.

Here is a link to a local trail guide: http://www.sorbachattanooga.org/trails/trails.php

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    Check out the free ride chapter of sorba;

http://www.ridesofa.org/

They might have some ideas.
    The standing eight count & three knockdown rules are in effect on this trail.

http://compvelo.com/content/

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Awesome. Thanks for the info. Bear Creek is the closest area to me. I think we may start with that trail. I'll have to start collecting info about the others and plan some future trips.

Thanks!!!

Its got what plants crave
    Wind Rock in TN has plenty of nasty downhilling and freeriding if you're so inclined. Pisgah is within an hour or so's drive to the tallest mountain east of the Mississippi - Mount Mitchell. Pisgah has plenty of 4500-5000 elevation trail riding as well. Other than that, you'll have to drive to Snowshoe in WV.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Well after looking at Pisgah trail on MTBR trail list, I was looking at the wrong place. I thought Pisgah was a city name and put that in google earth. Huge difference between central NC and west NC.

WOW Wind rock looks fun. I am definatly not ready for that DH ride yet. Need a better bike.

Hutter
    Nantahala

thats right living legend
    Pisgah is the real $hit.

Wind Rock will kill you.

So I'd say either one of those.

not so super...
    Pisgah Sucks!
    Nothing to see here.

Jackalope Hunter
    I didn't read the whole thread too close so this might have been mentioned but Carters Lake park near Elijay in N. Georgia has a sweet downhill trail. It's got a nice mix of features and can be shuttled in just minutes. Its about 30 minutes from Bear Creek which has already been mentioned. There's camping there too i believe...

Def worth the drive from N. Fl. !
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'll have to add Carters lake to my list of places. We got 3 days planned and will be camping at Bear Creek.

I have a few questions about the camping area at Bear Creek.

Is it off Tripple Hill road?
    Is there parking at the actual camp site or is there a parking area and you have to hike a little to the camping area?
    Is there any water available near the camp area?
    How much privacy is between camp sites? Hopefully it's primitave and your not on top of each other like most "Camp Grounds".

Thanks!!!

Al.
    Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by andylee77
    I'll have to add Carters lake to my list of places. We got 3 days planned and will be camping at Bear Creek.

I have a few questions about the camping area at Bear Creek.

Is it off Tripple Hill road?
    Is there parking at the actual camp site or is there a parking area and you have to hike a little to the camping area?
    Is there any water available near the camp area?
    How much privacy is between camp sites? Hopefully it's primitave and your not on top of each other like most "Camp Grounds".

Thanks!!!
    --no - it's off of Gates Chapel Road. I'll dig up a map in a minute.
    --yes - park at the camp site, hike 20 yards
    --no water, it has bathrooms though
    --not much privacy if it's crowded, it may or may not be - I dunno. Sometimes it's empty when I ride by on weekends. Labor day it was packed.

To clarify - does the OP want XC type trails that go downhill (Bear Creek) or downhill trails with drops and jumps and such (Carters Lake)? FYI.

Al.
    Hooligan
    area map - http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...9066&z=11&om=1

Bear Creek/Pinhoti trail map -

Al.
    Hooligan
    another map - this one is Bear Creek only and shows where the campground is.

http://www.cartecaybikes.com/rides/Maps/BearCreek.pdf

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I am not ready for any large jumps or drop offs. XC style with a good speed would be perfect for now.

Thanks for the trail head google map.

I have this link to the Bear Creek trail.
    and it shows the campground near the trail head. But the trail head and camp ground are pretty far off Gates Chappel Road. Looking at the aerial image it looks like Gates Chapel has a V just past triple hill road. Do we take that road to the camp ground?!? Or is that PDF link wrong and the campground is on gates chapel.

I also overlaid this KML into google for bear creek. The route looks exactly like on the PDF link

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2780711

We are looking at Oct 8th, 9th and 10th for the dates!! Why can't that be next week.

Thanks

Al.
    Hooligan
    the dirt road is off of Gates Chapel road - I dunno the name of the dirt road - it is 2 miles long and the campgraound s about halfway up on the right. You can't miss it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for all the help, this is going to be an awesome trip!

I'm not ready for huge jumps and drops, doubt I'll ever be but I wouldn't mind checking them out. I'm looking for something that's a little less flat than the parkinglot of FL. I'd like to go downhilll on a singletrack for more than 15 seconds. Good scenery would be nice too.

yeah, uh............bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by andylee77
    I am not ready for any large jumps or drop offs. XC style with a good speed would be perfect for now.

Thanks for the trail head google map.

I have this link to the Bear Creek trail.
    and it shows the campground near the trail head. But the trail head and camp ground are pretty far off Gates Chappel Road. Looking at the aerial image it looks like Gates Chapel has a V just past triple hill road. Do we take that road to the camp ground?!? Or is that PDF link wrong and the campground is on gates chapel.

I also overlaid this KML into google for bear creek. The route looks exactly like on the PDF link

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2780711

We are looking at Oct 8th, 9th and 10th for the dates!! Why can't that be next week.

Thanks
    Here's some pics of bear creek camping and parking area. I parked there and did the bear creek loop. If you've got the Cartecay map that suggests parking in the grassy area on the residential street, this parking area is up the dirt road about 3/4 mile.

I wish I would have known about the camping area before I got there, really cool spot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jackalope Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by norcom
    Thanks for all the help, this is going to be an awesome trip!

I'm not ready for huge jumps and drops, doubt I'll ever be but I wouldn't mind checking them out. I'm looking for something that's a little less flat than the parkinglot of FL. I'd like to go downhilll on a singletrack for more than 15 seconds. Good scenery would be nice too.

Carters Lake has a XC loop that is really fun, lots of climbs and descents... Too much climbing for my 42 lb rig though.... The Downhill trail is much more tech than the xc trail, with gap jumps, a creek jump, rock gardens and a few drops. Nothing over 6-8 foot range, but def not for beginners. It's about a 3-5 minute trail depending on your skill level. It is something that you can hit many times in a day if you have a pick up truck to shuttle.
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

Members who have read this thread: 0