Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

South Florida Bike Rental Shop?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Spazy 
#1 ·
Can anyone point me to a couple of shops in South Florida (anywhere near or under West Palm Beach is cool) that rent decent mountain bikes? I don't need anything special; hardtail would be fine, as long as it's not a Walmart special. Thanks,
--Mark

#2 ·
EtE said:
Can anyone point me to a couple of shops in South Florida (anywhere near or under West Palm Beach is cool) that rent decent mountain bikes? I don't need anything special; hardtail would be fine, as long as it's not a Walmart special. Thanks,
--Mark
I've never done business with them, but I've heard good things about Atlantic bike shop. Other than that I have no idea. I'm still looking for a decent shop down there myself, most seem to be more road oriented.
http://www.atlanticbicycle.com/

I gotta ask though, where are you gonna be riding down there? I'm from palm beach gardens (north of WPB) and there isn't a whole lot of riding in the area. Plus after hurricane Wilma most of the decent trails are covered in fallen trees.

#4 ·
Jim's Bicycles (directly across the street from Quiet Waters) does some rentals. Also, Richwagon's might rent mountain bikes, but I'm not positive.

You'll want to definitely check on the status of the trails before renting. Hurricane Wilma did a doozy on us, and currently ALL of the trails are closed.

For latest status, you can check here under the Trail Maintenance sections:
http://www.clubmud.com/forum/phpBB2/index.php

As of now, Oleta looks like it will be the first to open, and even that probably won't be for another few weeks. Markham and Quiet Waters are both closed, even to volunteers. Markham will be inspected soon to access the damage. Quiet Waters is in REAL bad shape and will probably take several months to open.

#6 ·
EtE said:
markham, quiet waters, oleta river, dyer, and amelia were on the menu, but nothing set in stone. Thanks for the shop info, I'll give 'em a call...
Most of those are good trails, except dyer. I rode there once and never went back, I don't like to bash on trails but I just didn't like it.

Some other trails you may wanna check out are Pinehurst, and Jonathon Dickenson State park up in the Jupiter/Tequesta area. JD was one of my favorites over the summer, and I don't think the damage would be too great there because it's mostly scrub and dunes.

have fun

#7 ·
FloridaFish said:
Most of those are good trails, except dyer. I rode there once and never went back, I don't like to bash on trails but I just didn't like it.

Some other trails you may wanna check out are Pinehurst, and Jonathon Dickenson State park up in the Jupiter/Tequesta area. JD was one of my favorites over the summer, and I don't think the damage would be too great there because it's mostly scrub and dunes.

have fun
Yeah. Uh, Dyer. It's a trash mound that most folks use for hill "training". Again, I'm not sure what the shape of that trail is in. I know they had tossed around some fancy plans that sounded downright cool for that trail, but I don't think any of those plans have come to fruition yet.

JD has some trails open, but not all. It's pretty and fun, but can get sandy and downright brutally hot. Pinehurst suffered some damage as well and I think they are inspecting that trail for cleanup nowish.

For latest info on JD, Dyer, and Pinehurst, I'd check the ClubScrub forum (you can find it from www.clubscrub.com I think).

#10 ·
FloridaFish said:
Great news. I was just wondering about whether or not to bring my bike down for thanksgiving the other day and tried checking clubscrub for the trail conditions. Thanks for the update.

btw, is bunker hill still closed?
yes, bunker hill is still closed. they have done alot of work on it, i can't imagine that it will be much longer before they officially open it...

maybe i'll see you out there, i live in palm beach gardens and ride there all the time.

#11 ·
If Oleta opens, then I know they have a new rental shop once you get inside the park. They rent kayaks and bikes. I'm pretty sure they are Kona brand too. But make sure Oleta trails are open...

#12 ·
My time in Pompano and Fort Lauderdale Beach

stayed in pompano beach and took some nice comfort bike from this Bicycle Rental Shop the owner was very friendly he had well tuned bikes and adjusted everything before i went of to explore Fort Lauderdale, took it for 4 hours returned 6 hours later and he said don't even worry he is not a time watcher, how ever i hear lots of good things about the other stores in the area maybe next time, how ever i do own a nice 29 inch tire Beach cruiser :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.