Trail Rider
    Jun 2009

South Alabama riders and site conditions

Figured I'd make a thread for the South Alabama riders out there. I know there's an Alabama thread, but its pretty much dead, and for the most part occupied by central and north Alabama riders. I expect this thread to get even less participation, but this is where I hope to update reports on the few sites we have available.

Feel free to speak up if your in the area, update if you want, and maybe we can organize a ride one of these days?

In the area we have:
    *Chickasawbogue - lots of singletrack trail with switchbacks and some technical stuff, some elevation changes, some of its flowy, some easy, some not...
    *USA trails - great flowy singletrack and a claypit full of dj type shinanigans, not much elevation change
    *Blakely - double and single track, some elevation changes, fairly easy in most areas, a bit technical in others
    *Gasline - gasline and powerline type roads that have been rutted up with 4wd action, some fast downhills with jumps, and grinding technical climbs, all of its pretty damned hard
    *BackCountry Trails(believe it or not, theres a bit of single track there) - hardpack sand, no elevation changes to speak of, switchbacks

Just over the AL/FL line in the western panhandle are the UWF trails and I believe there are some trails along the Black Water River stretch of park, just east of that; both are within a relatively short drive of So AL and possibly closer to some of us than some of the rides within our own borders.
    Last edited by SuPrBuGmAn; 07-24-2010 at 07:07 PM.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Rode Chickasawbogue on 7/7/10 and some of the lower trails were wet, but most anything with elevation was perfectly fine. Rode Woodsey's Wallow, Black Forrest, Bluff Trail, did the Half Pipe and was completely whipped... Crossed two trees along the way that were newly felled that needed to be walked around. Overall, the conditions were great, not even too many bugs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    where are the backcountry trails?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Backcountry Trails are in Orange Beach. There are several paved bike paths from Hw 161 that run to Gulf State Park and some of the dune lakes within. On the Gulf State Park side, north of the paved trail and east of the golf course, there are several overgrown, unpaved service roads, with single track branching off. I don't know who built them and they don't seem to be ridden often.... but its something to ride.

The Voice of Reason
    if you want to throw pensacola in the mix, the uwf trails are getting a lot of attention right now.
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Megashnauzer
    if you want to throw pensacola in the mix, the uwf trails are getting a lot of attention right now.
    Good idea, and done

Please update this thread periodically with trail conditions there. I've yet to ride UWF or Blackwater as its just a bit further for me to get to... but hopefully I can make some time before too long.

The Voice of Reason
    uwf is definitely worth the drive from mobile. if you catch it after a light rain the trail rips. blackwater is coming along but it's not worth driving from mobile.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Rode Blakely on 7/9/2010 and trails were decent. One new tree down, that required a carryover(for me atleast), on Hallett's. Zipped down some of the trails on the other side of the road, Jackson Springs, Green, etc and everything was normal there, some trees down(been there for awhile). Nothing muddy. Bugs were prevelant, but not god-awefull. Damn near ran over a cottonmouth.

uwf is definitely worth the drive from mobile. if you catch it after a light rain the trail rips. blackwater is coming along but it's not worth driving from mobile.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Hit up Chickasawbogue on 7/14/2010 all the trails were dry. I ended up stopping quite a bit, screaming like a girl on most occassions. The banana spiders are out, several met my face

Might start doing USA for awhile, I think they get more traffic and hopefully that keeps the webs clear??? Ugh.

The Voice of Reason
    now is not a good time to hit chickasawbogue.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    now is not a good time to hit chickasawbogue.
    on grounds of banana spiders alone or for other reasons as well?

Probably wouldn't have been so bad had I not been solo, could have split leading and only taken half those spiders-in-the-face.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Rode Gasline for the first time on 7/21/10 with a group that rides it regularly. Its not flowy at all, nor all that scenic, but it does have a cool creek crossing or three. There's alot of fast downhill with some jumps, just gotta watch out for sand, washouts, and ruts(from FWD and 4wheelers). It was incredibly challenging for me, felt bad for holding up the group I was riding with but they were all good sports about it.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Went back to Gasline on 7/22 but didn't get very far before taking a spill that ended my day with a bent derailier hanger.

Hit up the Backcountry Trails in Orange Beach today 7/24/10, the single track on the northside of the paved stuff, spun around alot of new-to-me stuff there... There's a ton of trail, but its not marked very well, and apparently not riden much. No elevation, just switchbacks, couple logs to hop over, mostly hardpack sand trail, but its something to ride. I also rode a few trails down Fort Morgan Rd... They were hiking trails and I'm not sure if biking is actually allowed(although it wasn't listed as prohibited). There was a ranger onsite who didn't know either, FWIW. It made for a nice 6 mile trail through the woods, beach scrub, dune lakes, marsh, and a bit along little lagoon as well.

Bugs aren't bad right now and temps were kept tolerable by overcast skies thanks to Bonnie.

The Voice of Reason
    you ought to also post these rides in the review section. some of the reviews are pretty old. there was also supposed to be a trail near the styx river near the al/fl state line. any news on that?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    No idea about a trail near styx, would be interested in it... I'll ask around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Last I heard about the styx river trails was that it was on private property and the owner wasn't letting people ride. If that has changed thats awesome. I was excited about some new trails. . . This Gasoline trail you speak of is it in the daphne area?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Northside of Highway 90, in between 181 and Hwy98, across from CR13 and extending east/west to Lowes and the Eastern Shore Medical Center.

Its not pretty, but its damned challenging.

Sucks about the Styx River stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yup, other than all the sand its real fun back there if you can get past where you actually are. Found out my bike floats in that little creek too after the front tire dropped in some hole.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    7/27/10 road at Gasline in the afternoon. Some of the local guys have done a little trail maintenance, clearing the jungle back a bit, moving some trees and stuff. Good ride yesterday, I wasn't any faster than last week, but I felt less like I'd go into cardiac arrest this time around

The Voice of Reason
    there's supposed to be another trail north of atmore near claude b kelly park. last i heard it was maybe 2-3 miles long but that was quite a while ago. that may be outside your 1 hour radius though. keep up the posts. it's good to hear about other tails in our area.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Nice, I'll have to look into that.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Rode the USA trails on 7/29/10 afternoon, there was quite a bit of traffic out there, but not enough to hamper riding. Mostly just people trying to figure out how to get out - LOL. Trails were dry and in great condition, and as I was hoping, the traffic has kept the spider webbing down

The Voice of Reason
    usa is my favorite trail in mobile. i need to throw a gps in my backpack next time i go so i can see where the hell i just rode.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Since you guys brought up UWF, come on out and check out the trails. There's about 20 miles of ridable trails out there.

With the recent heat, there are some sandy spots right now, but PORC has been doing a good job of maintaining the trails.

If you want to hook up with some locals to ride, come to the Pate Rd. trailhead on Wed. evenings about 5:15 to 5:30, or get out there between 7:30 to 8:00 on a weekend morning.

Check out porc.org for more info about the UWF trails.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Rode Gasline this afternoon 8/3/10, hoping the showers we had earlier in the day would pack some of the sand down. It might have helped a bit... Turned my wheel into a liar and made it about 1/3rd of the way through when I snapped a few links off my chain. D'Oh. The bike was skipping under the load the entire time, which certainly led to other problems... like popping a chain. Anyway, not my best ride.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Rode on 8/4/10 at Gasline, conditions were OK. A group of us went out there on 8/5/10 to do a little work to try to get things a little better.

Rode Blakely on 8/6/10 and found lots of banana spider webs and yellow flies. Had a good hour long ride though. Hit pretty much all the trail and decided to grab a pic of the bike.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Rode Gasline on 8/9 & 8/10/10, its getting pretty dry, which is OK except for the sandy areas which are getting really loose. Alot of the trail has been weedeated back and some lines have been cleared through some of the ruttier areas. I managed to knock my front wheel out of true going OTBs yesterday and bend the crap out of my seatrails. Bent the rails back... wheel needs to be trued :/ D'Oh.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Blakley?

Is that near Blakley Ga.?

If so where are the trails located.

Thanks,

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Historic Blakely State Park - Spanish Fort, AL

The Voice of Reason
    have you gps'd the gas line trail?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Nah, I've got a handheld GPS, but I never taken it on my rides. I use it mostly for cave diving

Got questions about the route?

The Voice of Reason
    i was just wondering. i've heard about the gas line trail for years but i've never ridden it. we always do chickasawbogue and usa when we go to mobile. is the gas line worth the trip? how many miles?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I wouldn't go from Mobile to the eastern shore for gasline, honestly...

Its free, and its challenging(great workout). Its not pretty and it doesn't flow. There are some fun downhills and some techy parts. Its basically just rutted out service roads that get traffic from the moto crowd and 4wders and the occassional mountain biker.

Its the closest trail to me, and its helping me become a much stronger rider. I enjoy it in those respects... but it doesn't give me the "outdoors enjoyment" scenic ride that I typically mountain bike for...

We usually do a stretch thats maybe 4 miles? There's more trail available, not sure how much, but I've read that you can stretch it for better than 10, I don't think it really loops??

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Rode gasline on 8/18 & 8/25/10, conditions were better on the former than latter. Things are a bit washed out at the moment, but on the good side, a bit more solid packed.

Rode Blakely on 8/26 and could definately tell all the riding at gasline has made me a stronger rider already. I don't have a map in front of me, but I did the Hallett's loop, then did several circuits built on Green Trails, Jackson Spring Trails, Cockleberry(sp?), and a few others - ended up riding just about everything on the that side of the park and had some great riding, likely the most fun I've had at Blakely yet. Some spider webs, some mosquitos and horseflies, but nothing horrid. Ticks.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Gasline was good on 9/1, sand is packing down nicely. 8/30 it was just damned wet.

Blakely was excellent today 9/3/10, lots of wildlife. Deer must be rutting or something cause they were everywhere. Lots of ticks, couple mosquitos, and lots of horseflies. Hit the same trails as lastime, and had a great quick ride.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Rode Gasline again on 9/4/10, cut into the culverts and rode under the interstate(which was interesting) and zipped around a bunch of the trail on the northside of I-10. Had fun, the weather was perfect Saturday morning, even a little crisp.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Did Gasline on 9/8/10, conditions were good.

Headed to UWF on 9/10/10 after work. This was my first time there... after reading some of the reviews, I thought I had to park somewhere on campus, but after consulting the map, I realized I needed to be on Pate. Cut down on my ride time since its starting to get darker, earlier again... I did the Games Loop, which was alotta fun, not much in terms of elevation change, which I consider a negative, but it flowed better than any of the other area trails(aside from USA, but UWF feels more legit as a mountain bike trail). Didn't have time for the main loop, but I'll give it a whirl in the future, just heard the Games Loop was where its at - so went there first.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    UWF looked good again on 9-12-10, I did the Games Loop again as well as the shorter Main Loop(Carl's/TreeHugger/Cambodia?). Traffic was light and conditions were great.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Rode Gasline/Pipeline on 9/15 & 9/16/10, its been dry out here and sand is becoming a bit of an issue. Its dry and the sand is getting really really loose in some places. We went under the colvert and north of I-10 on 9/15 and got lost out there, had fun.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Gasline/Pipeline on 9/21&9/22/10, still no significant rain and the sand is getting really loose out there. Just saps your speed and energy at this point. Armadillo was crashing through the woods besides me and scared the crap out of me, later on last night, I found a fawn huddles up in some brush. Bow season is starting up soon, and apparently a group leases this parcel out for bow hunting?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    UWF Games Loop was excellent on 9/24/10; I managed to get the loop in after work, before nightfall and the rains hit(area got pounded by rain, Fri/Sat/Sun). Ended the ride with a Dogfishhead 90 min IPA, tasted great! I hear the trail does pretty good after a rain, we got plenty, so some of the sand should be packed down a bit.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Road Blakely on both 9/29 & 9/30/10, trail was in excellent conditions and the weather has been perfect lately, really starting to feel cool in the afternoons and the wildlife seems to like it as well. I chases turkeys on both days. Also saw plenty of deer and squirrel. No problems with spiders, yellow flies, mosquitos, or even ticks!

Headed to UWF on 10/3/10. Did the Games Loop in short order, sand is starting to get a bit loose in places. Started up the main loops with the intention of doing the 10 mile, but halfway to where the green/red loops split, I flatted out, and walked out the green loop instead. Time to start carrying extra tubes/trail pump again(year and a half without flats got me confident - D'Oh).

Heading to Blakely again today after work, ETA ~5:20ish if anyone is interested. Probably do about an hour of riding including loops at Hallets, Jackson Springs, Green, Cockleshell Mound, etc.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Blakely was excellent on 10/5, saw a couple deer. No problem with bugs, whatsoever. Its definately the perfect time to be riding in So AL.

Rode the trails at Lake Forest last night(10/6), I have no idea where I was as there's so many interesections. Got turned around a few times, seemed fun. I want to go back during the day though... try to make sense of it all. Lots of sand out there...

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Rode the Lake Forest Trails on 10/12, more dry sand. Rode during the day to try to make sense out of some of the trails. It was a bit better and I had some fun out there.

Rode Blakely on 10/13, conditions were excellent. No bugs, sand wasn't an issue, lots of wildlife, etc. Rode Hallets, Jackson Springs, Green Loop, Cockelshell Loop, etc. Alotta fun, gets more fun every time oddly enough...

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Rode UWF trails on 10/17/10 - lots of loose sand right now due to no real rainfall in the last several weeks. Rode the 10 mile loop and the Games Loop. Temps are excellent right now, no bugs, no spiders, etc.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Rode Blakely on 10/20 and 10/21/10, conditions are great except the few sandy areas, which are few and far between. Lots of wildlife, especially deer. Aside from a few mosquitos, the bugs aren't an issue. No yellow flies or spiders, or even ticks. Its a great time to go out and ride over there.

I'm moving to Tallahassee, FL on Saturday, so probably my last report for this area until I come back to visit with bike - hopefully someone else will carry on.

I'm Slow
    Just started a new site for us southern Alabamians. MobileMTB.com I have a forum working on there and I think y'all should check it out.

Also does anyone have a gps location for the BackCountry Trails

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I don't have GPS, but some of the mountain bike portions of the Backcountry trails start on the east border of the golf course.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Fort Rucker has some awesome trails now. Check out the link.

Fort Rucker, AL MTB Trails

mtbr member

Any trails around Opp, Enterprise, or Andalusia

Hi, I'm doing more business travels to Opp, AL. Wondering if there are any trails in the area: Opp, Andalusia, or Enterprise??? I saw Fort Rucker, any others?
    Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Just out of curiosity, what business is there in Opp?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by High Side
    Just out of curiosity, what business is there in Opp?
    Ha, I know what your saying...

One of my wholesaler accounts is located there.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    haven't been on in years. just brought my bike up from FL. i was living in palm beach and rode all the good trails down there. after being close to markham i think i am spoiled. i have ridden chickasobugue and ATC trails. tried USA once but couldn't find the trails. no one i asked even knew there where bike trails there. i asked a guy at cadence 120 in mobile about places to ride. he mention a lot of guys do urban free ride in the area. anyone know a place to do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by IntheBush
    If you live long enough, you'll discover that most people are dull, boring and lazy..

Pot is optional.

n3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by tmc71
    Hi, I'm doing more business travels to Opp, AL. Wondering if there are any trails in the area: Opp, Andalusia, or Enterprise??? I saw Fort Rucker, any others?
    Thanks!!
    Troy Campus in Dothan has a 5 mile loop that is fairly decent as well.

I just started back riding after being out of it for 2 years.. was not aware Fort Rucker has a trail system now. Interesting

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by full_circle
    tried USA once but couldn't find the trails. no one i asked even knew there where bike trails there.
    USA trails are on the eastside of the intermural fields and those new(ish) apartments just south of them. Take Oldshell to the hillcrest intersection, go north to the intramural fields, take a left at the "T", park your car and head off into the woods.

I'm Slow
    To add to the USA trails: http://www.MobileMTB.com has the trail maps

Also I added the USA trail map to the trail section on this site.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

Members who have read this thread: 0