Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 63

Thread: Snake Felasco!

  1. #1
    the #1 Stunna'
    Reputation: kawsakimx6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    492

    Snake Felasco!

    Hey all. I am new to the area (as some of you know). I have been riding up at san Felasco and i have seen about 3 snakes per time i have been there. Is there always that many snakes up there. Or am i just getting *lucky*? I hate snakes! but i guess it does make me ride faster. I was just wondering if this was normal. Thanks for the info.
    I has Bikes

  2. #2
    Where is my mind?
    Reputation: Cyclopod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,130
    Hey RJ, I'm usually too focused on avoiding the trees and running over rabbits to actually notice any snakes. My sister noticed one once when she went hiking. What routes are you doing at San Felasco? I've never heard of anyone getting bit (not by a snake anyway).
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

    - Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    103

    Snake crossing ...

    This one taken right at where you exit Tung Nut (prairie climb back to jeep road). Perfect opportunity to practice your bunny-hopping skills My buddy almost crashed into Bambi when she jolted and crossed the trail in 4-5 feet in front of him on Cellon Creek trail. We always stop to appreciate deer sighting at San Felasco. Once I brought sliced apples and fed a buck. Pure bliss!

    -Hans
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    yeah, uh............bikes
    Reputation: FloridaFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,713
    If you ride out there enough you will see almost every native animal in florida out there. Snakes, rabbits, armadillos, turkeys, alligators, deer, owls, hawks, hogs (although I never saw them) it's all out there. I ran over a few rattlers sunning on the trails, just lift your feet and you'll be fine.

    I talked to a guy on the trail once that said he saw 2 alligators out there on sweetgum hill and ravine trail, he said that he had to shoo one of them off of the trail.........I rode the trail about 15 minutes later and didn't see the alligators but I did see some strange animal tracks.

  5. #5
    the #1 Stunna'
    Reputation: kawsakimx6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    492
    hey eric When i was out there last evening, i rode the 1 mile trail for shits and giggles. It is a good warm up ride. And then i rode the 4.5 mile one. I am still finding my way around out there. trails are nice though
    I has Bikes

  6. #6
    Where is my mind?
    Reputation: Cyclopod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,130
    I was going to hit San Felasco this Friday, but my SO's got a thing that evening. Otherwise I would have been up for a 2-3 hr ride. Went to Razorback last Sunday and am going again this weekend if you're up for it.

    Ernie
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

    - Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

  7. #7
    the #1 Stunna'
    Reputation: kawsakimx6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    492
    ernie, what time are you thinking for sundays ride? I may be down for it. i have not been to razor back yet, where is it? well let me know i may be down.
    I has Bikes

  8. #8
    Where is my mind?
    Reputation: Cyclopod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,130
    Was thinking Razorback on Saturday actually and doing Felasco on Sunday, but I don't mind switching it. I'd like to head out by 10-11ish.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

    - Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

  9. #9
    the #1 Stunna'
    Reputation: kawsakimx6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    492
    naw, either way is fine with me. I am getting my bike put together. i dont think that it will be done by this weekend, so i will beriding the ole' trek hard tail. it is cool thought, that is what i have been on since i got here. razorback is not a lot of downhill is it.....nevermind, this is Florida!
    I has Bikes

  10. #10
    Where is my mind?
    Reputation: Cyclopod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,130
    Quote Originally Posted by kawsakimx6
    razorback is not a lot of downhill is it.....nevermind, this is Florida!
    UH HUH.....
    You may be right

    I'm not gonna kid you, I've never ridden in you're old back yard, but.... Well you'll see. You're gonna love Razorback. Having said that I've seen a handful of hard tails out there, and it'll probably be an advantage on those "flat climbs." This is gonna be fun!
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

    - Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

  11. #11
    yeah, uh............bikes
    Reputation: FloridaFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,713
    Kawasaki, wow, I almost envy you for being on the verge of discovering the rest of San Felasco. Every time I rode a new trail out there I was amazed, be sure to have a camelbak or lots of water bottle though.

    also, you should be fine at Razorback on a hardtail. When I was just getting serious about mtbing I went there on my stock 500 dollar hardtail rockhopper. I had a blast, almost died a few times, and finally broke my chain with 3 miles to go but stuck it out and pushed/coasted my bike through the rest of the trail......even went down triple dipper.

  12. #12
    the #1 Stunna'
    Reputation: kawsakimx6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    492
    alright then it is on, I am ready to ride at razor back. I just talked to the people sending my crank set, and they do not think that it will get here till monday, so the jamis will be sitting on the sideline and i will be riding the trek all weekend. I am not oo worried, i rode ole' trusty for 3 years in NC it climbs well atleast. I get beat up on the way down, so i stay in the air as much as pissibe. not the smartest idea, but it makes it fun. i may rather do razorback on sun, but i will let you know. I have a party to go to on fri, so i am not sure if i want to ride a new trail with a hangover. I might be up for it though. It all depends on what the old lady says. If she does not start nagging me, i will prolly tie one one, if she does, i will not.


    As far as the water supply, last time i went to snake felasco, (before last time) i used my camel, plus 2 back up water bottles. This state is ****ing HOT
    I has Bikes

  13. #13
    Where is my mind?
    Reputation: Cyclopod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,130
    I agree, hardtailing Big Gulp and Tripple Dipper are doable. But I skinned both knees big time when I took my hard tail there. Then, that may have had nothing to do with the, AHEM, bike. I agree, about San Felasco, once you get past the first 2-3 miles of Tung Nut, it's a real adventure. You can forget the rest of the world exists.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

    - Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

  14. #14
    Where is my mind?
    Reputation: Cyclopod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,130
    Wait, did you say you descended Tripple dipper without a chain? How did that feel? I know that it doesn't change the mechanics, but what's it like haveing your feet float around? Tripple dipper is a wierd one. It doesn't look too bad on the way down, but when you look back from the bottom, I swear it looks tripple the size.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

    - Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

  15. #15
    Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Reputation: Acme54321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,135
    Aw shoot I've gone down tripple dipper sitting down one footed attempting to clip in, it isn't that bacd just hold on.

    I've never seen a gator at San Felasco but I have seen pretty much everything else out there. The worst was when I was riding late afternoon and came across a big hog back on the ravine loops. Big hogs are alot scarier than gators. The hog won and I went back the other way.

    Adam what did you do to your arm? I saw the pics on facebook, looked nasty.

  16. #16
    Where is my mind?
    Reputation: Cyclopod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,130
    Keep in mind that after Razorback, then there's Alafia (2 hr drive). I have yet to do Carter road or the T.O.E.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

    - Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

  17. #17
    yeah, uh............bikes
    Reputation: FloridaFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    Aw shoot I've gone down tripple dipper sitting down one footed attempting to clip in, it isn't that bacd just hold on.

    I've never seen a gator at San Felasco but I have seen pretty much everything else out there. The worst was when I was riding late afternoon and came across a big hog back on the ravine loops. Big hogs are alot scarier than gators. The hog won and I went back the other way.

    Adam what did you do to your arm? I saw the pics on facebook, looked nasty.
    If you do a search for "graphic elbow" you'll find my story. Basically I finished up a ridiculously boring/easy/flat ride on an old landfill down here (dyer park) and decided I needed some air. There was a jump between two drainage ditches that I overshot and just ate $hit straight onto the concrete, helmet saved my life. I'm still pretty beat up, but I'm hoping to get on my roadbike soon.

  18. #18
    yeah, uh............bikes
    Reputation: FloridaFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopod
    Wait, did you say you descended Tripple dipper without a chain? How did that feel? I know that it doesn't change the mechanics, but what's it like haveing your feet float around? Tripple dipper is a wierd one. It doesn't look too bad on the way down, but when you look back from the bottom, I swear it looks tripple the size.
    It was okay as long as I didn't try to pedal.....made that mistake more than I'd like to admit and ended up with some ugly shins and painful nuts.

    I had to take as much speed as possible into some of the last quick g-outs to make it up the other side. I remember grabbing a fistful of roots/grass/dirt at the top of a steep climb trying not to tumble back down with my bike. fun stuff.

  19. #19
    the #1 Stunna'
    Reputation: kawsakimx6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    492
    I am all about seeing what my new state has to offer. I would love to ride all of those trails. The ones that are 2+ hrs away may be a bit more diffuicult, seeing how i work 7 days a week, but i will get there. Once it gets too hot to ride, we can take a trip to my old stoming ground, and i will show you what DH biking is all about. and dont forget leg burning climbs. I am not saying that the trails around here are not hard, but your treails are 10+ miles long Back home ours where 5 or so miles and that was all that the ole' leggs could take at a time. I am totaly ready to be come a full fledge FL rider. That is what i am putting together now, i took my DH bike and am turning it in to a XC. the 7 inch travel of the KONA (front and back) is a bit overkill here. I just got my Jamis frame and am in the process of getting it ready for the FL sun.
    I has Bikes

  20. #20
    yeah, uh............bikes
    Reputation: FloridaFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,713
    Quote Originally Posted by kawsakimx6
    I am all about seeing what my new state has to offer. I would love to ride all of those trails. The ones that are 2+ hrs away may be a bit more diffuicult, seeing how i work 7 days a week, but i will get there. Once it gets too hot to ride, we can take a trip to my old stoming ground, and i will show you what DH biking is all about. and dont forget leg burning climbs. I am not saying that the trails around here are not hard, but your treails are 10+ miles long Back home ours where 5 or so miles and that was all that the ole' leggs could take at a time. I am totaly ready to be come a full fledge FL rider. That is what i am putting together now, i took my DH bike and am turning it in to a XC. the 7 inch travel of the KONA (front and back) is a bit overkill here. I just got my Jamis frame and am in the process of getting it ready for the FL sun.
    If you DH/freeride you have got to check out Santos, it's about half and hour south of Razorback. Your Kona would love it.

  21. #21
    Its got what plants crave
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,934
    I'm down for an MTBR meet. I work in Alachua about a mile from San Felasco. I've ridden there quite a bit.. seen many snakes and animals but only 1 alligator in a pond/swampy area. Once you're 10 miles back in the woods the wildlife really comes out! I ride out there when I want to open up and ride fast or long distance. Otherwise I ride Razorback or Santos but usually on do that on the weekends when I can bum a ride off my buddy.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    103

    MTBR Meet @ SBA's Spring Fest ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I'm down for an MTBR meet. .
    Sounds great Jim!

    How about at next weekend's Spring Bicycle festival at White Spring? Here's the sked.

    http://www.suwanneebike.org/sbf06sched.pdf

    Saturday ride is at SF at 9am. We're heading out there Sunday morning to ride Big Shoals, lunch at Nellie Bly's (could be rally point for MTBRers), stop by SBA HQ, then ride some more.

    It's neat to go to big MTB gatherings and share the passion. We went to OMBA's Spring BBQ and that was a blast. Even the kids enjoyed it.

    I'd be the big Filipino dude riding a 29er. Holler if you see me.

    Cheers from Jax,
    Hans

  23. #23
    Where is my mind?
    Reputation: Cyclopod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Oragun
    Sounds great Jim!

    How about at next weekend's Spring Bicycle festival at White Spring? Here's the sked.

    http://www.suwanneebike.org/sbf06sched.pdf

    Saturday ride is at SF at 9am. We're heading out there Sunday morning to ride Big Shoals, lunch at Nellie Bly's (could be rally point for MTBRers), stop by SBA HQ, then ride some more.

    It's neat to go to big MTB gatherings and share the passion. We went to OMBA's Spring BBQ and that was a blast. Even the kids enjoyed it.

    I'd be the big Filipino dude riding a 29er. Holler if you see me.

    Cheers from Jax,
    Hans
    UUUUHHHHGGG!!!! The SF ride is scheduled for 8:00 am. Does anyone know what the SF course will be?
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

    - Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

  24. #24
    the #1 Stunna'
    Reputation: kawsakimx6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    492
    we should get together and ride the SF trail sat morning. Gainesville representin'! I would be down with meeting some peeps that ride. let me know if anyone else is going to head out there for a sat morning session.
    I has Bikes

  25. #25
    Its got what plants crave
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,934
    I might make an appearance at the Suwannee festival.

  26. #26
    Its got what plants crave
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,934
    Quote Originally Posted by kawsakimx6
    we should get together and ride the SF trail sat morning. Gainesville representin'! I would be down with meeting some peeps that ride. let me know if anyone else is going to head out there for a sat morning session.

    This upcoming Saturday? I'm thinking I wanna ride Santos or Razorback!

  27. #27
    Where is my mind?
    Reputation: Cyclopod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,130
    I'll make the effort. Hey Everyone notice that we all posted at almost the same time?
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

    - Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopod
    UUUUHHHHGGG!!!! The SF ride is scheduled for 8:00 am. Does anyone know what the SF course will be?
    Cyclo--
    I believe they leave Steven Foster Campground (White Springs) at 8, should be ready to ride at SF trailhead by 9. I rode SF with some of the SBA guys before and we did all trails (warm up loop> Cellon Creek> Tung Nut> Hammock Hub> Ravine> Odd Buck> Cane Break> Live Oak> finish Tung Nut>finish Cellon.

    Not sure who the ride leader/sweep are but they could define the course at last minute based on size/ riding preference of the group.

  29. #29
    Its got what plants crave
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Oragun
    Cyclo--
    I believe they leave Steven Foster Campground (White Springs) at 8, should be ready to ride at SF trailhead by 9. I rode SF with some of the SBA guys before and we did all trails (warm up loop> Cellon Creek> Tung Nut> Hammock Hub> Ravine> Odd Buck> Cane Break> Live Oak> finish Tung Nut>finish Cellon.

    Not sure who the ride leader/sweep are but they could define the course at last minute based on size/ riding preference of the group.

    Yeah, there'd be no reason to drive all the way to White Springs and then backtrack to San Felasco. You could just meet them at San Felasco.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by kawsakimx6
    we should get together and ride the SF trail sat morning. Gainesville representin'! I would be down with meeting some peeps that ride. let me know if anyone else is going to head out there for a sat morning session.
    Here's the list of people camping with bikes next weekend. You may already know some of these MTB peeps from your neck of the woods.

    http://www.suwanneebike.org/sbfregister.htm

  31. #31
    Where is my mind?
    Reputation: Cyclopod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Oragun
    Cyclo--
    I believe they leave Steven Foster Campground (White Springs) at 8, should be ready to ride at SF trailhead by 9. I rode SF with some of the SBA guys before and we did all trails (warm up loop> Cellon Creek> Tung Nut> Hammock Hub> Ravine> Odd Buck> Cane Break> Live Oak> finish Tung Nut>finish Cellon.

    Not sure who the ride leader/sweep are but they could define the course at last minute based on size/ riding preference of the group.
    So whats the deal with the registration? Do we just show up, call??? I'm down if we do the entire park as listed. By the way, does anyone know if the end of Cellon is dry? Haven't gone by there in a couple of months when it was waist high.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

    - Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopod
    Hey Everyone notice that we all posted at almost the same time?
    Must be lunchtime! I'm off to my short walk to the Landing.

  33. #33
    Its got what plants crave
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,934
    It's very dry here.. no water in the swamp.

  34. #34
    CoroKatana
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14
    Hello, fellow Florida MTBer's:

    Been reading this thread with some interest. It's lunchtime here as well, and I figured I'd respond.

    Getting into the spirit of things, my friend and I are planning a quick jaunt out to San Felasco this Sunday. We'll be hitting the trail head at 8:00 am. Yeah...hitting the road from Jax at around 6:30 am. Got a tight schedule, so we're out there early and back to Jax by 12:30 pm.

    Maybe I'll run into some of you guys. Look for a couple of guys on C'dales w/ Lefties. One is Orange and the other is Silver. The bike colors, I mean :-).

    We'll be answering to the names "Sean," and "Joe."

    Take care!

  35. #35
    the #1 Stunna'
    Reputation: kawsakimx6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    492
    Jim, What the hell are you talking about? Is that code for "i need a beer"? Cause if it is, i feel ya!
    I has Bikes

  36. #36
    Its got what plants crave
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,934
    Quote Originally Posted by kawsakimx6
    Jim, What the hell are you talking about? Is that code for "i need a beer"? Cause if it is, i feel ya!

    LOL.. I'm always up for a beer. I had a few too many Sam Adams last night and forgot to hit the "quote" button to the post about whether there was water over the trail at San Felasco.


  37. #37
    the #1 Stunna'
    Reputation: kawsakimx6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    492
    Jim Maybe we should do a MTBR beer run on Friday night. You know, go to town, have a few beers. I am still looking for a good watering hole.

    Cannondale...Maybe we will see you out there. That is a long trip for a san felasco ride. is there not anything closer to JAX?

    Everyone else....I think i am going to do san felasco on sat, and razorback on sun. Never been there and it should be fun on the ole' HT.
    I has Bikes

  38. #38
    Its got what plants crave
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,934
    Quote Originally Posted by kawsakimx6
    Jim Maybe we should do a MTBR beer run on Friday night. You know, go to town, have a few beers. I am still looking for a good watering hole.

    Cannondale...Maybe we will see you out there. That is a long trip for a san felasco ride. is there not anything closer to JAX?

    Everyone else....I think i am going to do san felasco on sat, and razorback on sun. Never been there and it should be fun on the ole' HT.

    Unfortunately I have to go to a dinner with some coworkers in Ocala. Perhaps some other time. I know plenty of good watering holes!

  39. #39
    yeah, uh............bikes
    Reputation: FloridaFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,713
    Does anyone know what the deal is with the "new" trails that shoot off of Odd Buck? Last time I was there (in Feb.) they were flooded and partially closed, the section that went to the bridge was roped off.

  40. #40
    Where is my mind?
    Reputation: Cyclopod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,130
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFish
    Does anyone know what the deal is with the "new" trails that shoot off of Odd Buck? Last time I was there (in Feb.) they were flooded and partially closed, the section that went to the bridge was roped off.
    I plan to find out tomorrow. Last time I was back there I notice that the nearby pond was on the rise, but that sounds to be about the same time you were last there.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

    - Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

  41. #41
    the #1 Stunna'
    Reputation: kawsakimx6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    492
    i think i am heading out there for a late ride before bed time this evening, depending on the sunlight, i will try to get back there.
    I has Bikes

  42. #42
    CoroKatana
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by kawsakimx6
    Jim Maybe we should do a MTBR beer run on Friday night. You know, go to town, have a few beers. I am still looking for a good watering hole.

    Cannondale...Maybe we will see you out there. That is a long trip for a san felasco ride. is there not anything closer to JAX?

    Everyone else....I think i am going to do san felasco on sat, and razorback on sun. Never been there and it should be fun on the ole' HT.
    There are some trails closer to JAX. Hanna Park is in JAX and Ft. Clinch is just north. Hanna is a rooty, slightly technical and flat singletrack. Pretty fast going and fun when you maintain speed.
    These days, however, Hanna is pretty dry. You get a great work out riding in sugar sand, but it's not as fun carving up the singletrack when you're bogged down and fighting to keep your line in the dry stuff.

    Never been to Ft. Clinch, altho I've heard it's not a bad trail to ride.

    For me, SF is worth the drive to ride good singletrack mixed in with some climbs. I think it's superior to Hanna, despite the 1.5 hr driving time.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFish
    Does anyone know what the deal is with the "new" trails that shoot off of Odd Buck? Last time I was there (in Feb.) they were flooded and partially closed, the section that went to the bridge was roped off.
    I *think* it connects to the horse trails way in the back. I remember from riding Tour de Felasco this past January that we went through a real swampy/muddy singletrack near Odd Buck (morning course). I may be wrong, can check with the course map from the tour.

  44. #44
    Its got what plants crave
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Corocannondale@yahoo.com
    There are some trails closer to JAX. Hanna Park is in JAX and Ft. Clinch is just north. Hanna is a rooty, slightly technical and flat singletrack. Pretty fast going and fun when you maintain speed.
    These days, however, Hanna is pretty dry. You get a great work out riding in sugar sand, but it's not as fun carving up the singletrack when you're bogged down and fighting to keep your line in the dry stuff.

    Never been to Ft. Clinch, altho I've heard it's not a bad trail to ride.

    For me, SF is worth the drive to ride good singletrack mixed in with some climbs. I think it's superior to Hanna, despite the 1.5 hr driving time.

    I've ridden at Ft. Clinch, although many years ago. It was actually a surprisingly fun ride. I expected it to be lame but I actually rather enjoyed myself. Not sure what it's like but I know they've expanded it to where there's some pretty decent mileage out there now too. Worth checking out especially if you're chillin' at the beach one day and wanna get a ride in.

  45. #45
    the #1 Stunna'
    Reputation: kawsakimx6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    492
    back on the trail this evening for a quick 1/2 hr 5.5 mile loop. Saw deer, and tons of squirls. i think they where setting up an army! building forts and ****
    I has Bikes

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopod
    So whats the deal with the registration? Do we just show up, call??? .
    If you're planning on just joining the SF group ride, I don't see why you'll need to register. It looks like registering gets you a shirt, event meals, donate $1 towards Bikes for Kids, etc. You can make a day out of it by riding SF, drive up to the event for lunch ($7.50), mingle w/ others and do rides at White Springs (Bridge to bridge/ Gar Pond/ Shoals).

    The SBA crew is a great mix of people. I enjoyed the past 2 Ididarides (50 milers) and joined them in their past 2 MTB getaway trips. We camped at Dauset (Jackson GA) for a long weekend and did the trails there, Conyers Olympic trail, and Arrowhead. I just got my membership card last month.

    OMBA is also a great organization dedicated to preserving Santos and the welfare of those who love our sport. Join either one if you don't belong to an official MTB org yet, help maintain the trails, learn to be a ride guide and participate/volunteer in events.

    If you're from around SF, your local Friends of San Felasco CSO organization is your best bet.

    'Night y'all,
    Hans

  47. #47
    the #1 Stunna'
    Reputation: kawsakimx6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    492
    OK.....Who is thinking of going out to SF tomorrow? ernie, are you still wanting to go to razorback this weeked? I Am down for riding both days. This evening, i have a party to go to tonight, so i wont be riding SF like i had planned on after work. Well let me know!
    I has Bikes

  48. #48
    Its got what plants crave
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,934
    I want to ride Razorback. Perhaps Sunday?

  49. #49
    the #1 Stunna'
    Reputation: kawsakimx6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    492
    Jim, I think ernie and myself are going to head out there on sunday morning (about 9:30 ish leaving gainesville.)
    I has Bikes

  50. #50
    Its got what plants crave
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,934
    The early bird catches the proverbial worm I suppose.. probably best to ride before it gets unbearably hot. I'll see if I can rally my crew, but generally we're out until late drinking and pillaging the town so it might be difficult to get everyone moving that early. If by chance we don't get out there until later, we'll be there around noonish, probably either driving a white Jeep Cherokee with roof rack, or my black Grand Cherokee that's lifted with big tires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •