mtbr member

Single speeding Oak Mountain State Park

Ill be in the area and wondering what gears people are using here. Pretty strong rider. Usually running 32x19 in WV. Also any other good places to ride near Birmingham?

mtbr member
    I've ridden my SS there a couple of times passing through Birmingham. Run 34x20 which is pretty darn close to 32x19. You shouldn't have any probs. Only one substantial climb but totally doable if you're riding SS around WV. Enjoy, it's a fun place.

mtbr member
    Also hit Cold Water Mountain In Anniston which is very close to Birmingham.
    Too wet to ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I ride Oak Mountain almost once a week. I usually run 32X20, but I have been mainly just doing climbing when I go to get ready for Snake Creek Gap. You will be fine with 32X19. I have run 32X18 out there, and I wouldn't consider myself a "pretty" strong rider.

mtbr member
    I just raced snake creek gap Saturday and I can do it with 32x20. Think 32x18 would be better there for me?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fisher457xc View Post
    I just raced snake creek gap Saturday and I can do it with 32x20. Think 32x18 would be better there for me?
    I ran the one in January with a 32X20 with a rigid fork and this last one with 32X22 and suspension. This past one I bettered my time by over 15 minutes but I actually felt better with a 32X20 and rigid on the first one. So I have no clue what I am going to do next race. I did race my first 6 hour at Oak Mountain with a 32X18. To be perfectly honest I can't tell much difference between all 3, I just go ride.

mtbr member
    Thanks I'll be heading to Alabama to work and look forward to riding some different trails. Hope I can make it to the march SCG TT so much fun!

mtbr member
    Coldwater is a must if you have time. I think it's about 45 min from B'ham, but well worth the trip.

mtbr member
    Bumping this with a few questions.

About to head out for a little SE tour and Oak Mountain is on the books (sorry no Coldwater this time). Looks like a good place to camp/ride from. Hopefully won't be bad late this month. Any local advice? Not worried about gear ratio, I spin what I bring, not afraid to walk.

What else should I see/do in Birmingham in my short time there?

Thanks.
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

Robertson
    Glad to have you in my town, and would be happy to dish out some advice. Would you like to know what trails to ride, where to eat, drink, etc.? What kinds of things are you looking to do?

mtbr member
    Yes, yes, and yes please. The plan is I'll be coming in from Huntsville (staying/riding Monte Sano). I'd like to camp, Oak Mountain looks like the place. I'm looking at the map, seems like one big loop, 25 miles-ish?

Also hopefully would have a few hours to poke into Birmingham. Definitely love some good local beer and a fun scene. Good chow too. Any must see sights. If there is an LBS I should stop and grab a map or say hi that would be cool too.

I'll be the yankee on the singlespeed.
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

Robertson
    There's one main loop, but my four favorite trails (Jekyll and Hyde, West Ridge, Thunder, and Lightning) are off the main loop. I think the best way for you to get all the best trails in would be park at South Trail Head, take the road to Seven Bridges (or Lake Trail, scenic but kind of boring), gravel road to Garrett's gulch, single track up the long climb. Once at the top of the "mountain", ride for about .5 miles and peel off on Thunder on your right. Ride Thunder and Lightning, which spits you out back on Garrett's Gulch, ride singletrack back up the mountain, then across the trail from Thunder hop onto West Ridge. Ride West Ridge, hop onto the Bump Connector, take it to Jekyll and Hyde, ridge Jekyll and Hyde back to your car. This is my favorite loop, it's about 25 miles in all and the only real climbing is on the Jeep Road Climb which isn't very steep, just long. Monsanto is fun, technical (which I like). Oak Mountain is real good for camping, lots of available sites. Best local beer, IMO and in the opinion of multiple review sites, is Good People Brewing Company, which is available in tons of local restaurants. If you're from up north, you've got to try the barbeque. Saw's is great, 3 locations each with different chefs and different flavors. My favorite location is in Avondale. Make sure to try the pork 'n greens. There's a brewery right next to Saw's in Avondale, called (unimaginatively) Avondale Brewing Company. Beer is pretty decent, not as good as Good People, but it's a great venue and has a really nice outdoors area. Many LBSs in the area, there's a Cahaba Cycles (local chain LBS) right next to Oak Mountain State Park, so that would be your best bet. What days are you going to be in town? I'll see if there are any fun events going on.