mtbr member

santos is the ****

santos is the ****. if you have never been there you have to make a trip out there.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Yeah!!!

mtbr member
    F-yeah!!!!

yeah, uh............bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by JC bs
    santos is the ****. if you have never been there you have to make a trip out there.
    The **** Indeed!

mtbr member
    Not to play devil's advocate here, but I went for the first time on Saturday and I had loftier expectations of what to expect. Maybe it was all the build up, hearing/knowing it is the best in the state, etc.

Observations.........

Beautiful park, well maintained, good trail markings/signs.

I was shocked by how easy the blues were. They are the equivalent of the yellows at Alafia/Boyette located in the Tampa area. I didn't read any yellows because I can only imagine they are easier yet. In other words, my wife doesn't ride nor own a bike and would have zero problems having her follow along on 95% of the blue stuff there whereas at Alafia/Boyette, I wouldn't let her leave the yellows. Don't get me wrong, they were great forest trails that allowed plenty of speed as you slalom thru the forest.

Now for the reds, they were reds !! Very tough, grueling trails that kept you on your toes. John Brown, Magic Mountain, Anthill, Sinkhole etc all are technical as ever. I was suprised by how much rock/boulders are at the park. Those trails will test your agility and slow riding ability as you traverse over the trail. Very nice although some lack flow.

As for the signature trail, the Vortex rim trail. Well that trail is the *****. That's an amazing compilation of everything challenging to mountain bikers. Plenty of tight switchbacks, short steep climbs/drops, plenty of rock that forces you to have pedal control/positioning or else, plenty of wooden steeps/bridges, you name it. In other words if you clean that 100%, you are in elite company. In any case, I rode it twice, once clipped in and once w/ platforms. Phenomenal trail that will have me coming back.

Freeride area is great if that's your gig. I'm getting too old and with that comes a drop in courage. But it's truly a mountain bike/ BMX bike paradise, plenty of drop ins, pump track, ramps, you name it.

I'll be heading back as the weather cools !!
    2006 IBEX Trophy Pro
    2007 IBEX Asta Expert SE

mtbr member
    There is a big difference going from a blue to red...its almost like they need 'purple' trails out there to bridge the gap between the two.

mtbr member
    Exactly my point Bill.

Alafia does that perfectly. Blues are truly a step from yellows with more advanced obstacles, some swoops, steeper inclines but hardly a red/black trail.

At Santos, it goes from rather easy to rather difficult with nothing in between.

As you stated, they need some purple.
    2006 IBEX Trophy Pro
    2007 IBEX Asta Expert SE

Where is my mind?
    Some blue trails at Santos didn't start off as blue trails. I think, for safety reasons, anything that links up to a red trail is classified as blue, no matter how easy it is (That doesn't explain the bunny trail). Anyway, there is a bit of a difference between rocky trails like Dr. Ruth or Cowbone vs easy ones like Dog bone and Twister.

With all the rain the overgrowth on the reds seems to add to the technical difficulty. At some areas the overgrowth actually hides the entrances to the reds.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopod
    Some blue trails at Santos didn't start off as blue trails. I think, for safety reasons, anything that links up to a red trail is classified as blue, no matter how easy it is (That doesn't explain the bunny trail). Anyway, there is a bit of a difference between rocky trails like Dr. Ruth or Cowbone vs easy ones like Dog bone and Twister.

With all the rain the overgrowth on the reds seems to add to the technical difficulty. At some areas the overgrowth actually hides the entrances to the reds.
    Ernie nailed it right on the head. At Santos anything that connects to a red trail is blue, no matter how easy it is. I think the main reason that bunny is blue is that it is pretty long with no bail outs, I think it's probably the longest stretch of trail out there. Santos is also a little bit different than a park like Alafia, which is an old phosphate mine. Phosphate mines have a large amount of big rolling spoils piles over a large acreage. This allows for more variation in the terrain. Santos is a limerock quarry. A huge gaping hole surrounded by shear cliffs. The terrain is much more rugged. So basically if it isn't easy at Santos it's gonna hard, that's just how the terrain there is.

mtbr member
    You guys have made some grreat points ..... makes total sense.
    2006 IBEX Trophy Pro
    2007 IBEX Asta Expert SE

I guess they scissor?
    Reddick is the ****!
    if you never ride 30 mph, you'll never ride 30 mph

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by deathb4dnf
    Reddick is the ****!
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

mtbr member
    Hardrock was the ultimate ****

Its got what plants crave
    Yeah Hardrock was sweet, wish they would build some more MTB trails there.. I want some more variety.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i rode it for the 1st time 2 weeks ago it rained but still lots of fun looking to go this friday and sat any one else going?

mtbr member
    Vortex and John Brown are sweet, but there is just something that I like more about Alafia and Boyette.
    Floridas Other Crazy White Guy....http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcbmx
    i rode it for the 1st time 2 weeks ago it rained but still lots of fun looking to go this friday and sat any one else going?
    how about sunday morning

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Some purple trails would be nice at santos. Sink hole seems like it could be a type of gap trail from cow bone to magic mountain. It sort of sits in the middle. Sink hole was the first red trail I rode , so I figured I could handle the reds fine......UH .... I wasn't quite ready for magic mountain when i hit it. or rattle snake ridge. I know they are ridable I just need to hit them with fresh legs I guess. One of our group got hurt so we didn't get to hit vortex trail that is on the list for next weekend.
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

Jackalope Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by rekibtm
    Some purple trails would be nice at santos.
    How about Rainbow colored????
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

Cannondale Snob
    I'd rate Magic Mountain barely a red as well. All it really has is that one climb to make it difficult, and even that isn't too bad if you don't spin out on some rocks at the bottom.

If you're tired, you can put the bike in granny gear and sit-and-spin to the top, but I find it works best to be in a bigger gear, stand up, lean back, and mash away.
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by RiskEverything
    I'd rate Magic Mountain barely a red as well. All it really has is that one climb to make it difficult, and even that isn't too bad if you don't spin out on some rocks at the bottom.

If you're tired, you can put the bike in granny gear and sit-and-spin to the top, but I find it works best to be in a bigger gear, stand up, lean back, and mash away.
    Huh???

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RiskEverything

I started from a stop at the bottom and I was with a few kids and noobs. It seemed really tough with some crazy tech turns etc. maybe I was just hungover from drinking too much the night before. I had quite a few beers and generaly don't drink much at all. I will give it a shot next weekend with confidence and a lot of momentum.
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

Members who have read this thread: 0