mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Sanitizing of Trussville Park Trail. (BUMP)

The trails at the Trussville Sports Park are being sanitized. Many riders, myself included, enjoy these trails because it is not Oak Mountain. They are not the long, smooth trails OM is known for but the opposite, short and tight with section that throw in rocks, roots and off camber trail with slick rock. These trails are not very technical but are a welcome change to OM. Lately many of these features have been changed or removed, someone is removing downed trees that have been there for years, pulling up rocks that range anywhere in size from a baseball to basketball and cutting corners and removing trees in these corners to straighten the trail. Does anybody know if this is the work of individuals or is BUMP working to change the character of this trail into a mini OM.
    Last edited by GPeek; 09-22-2007 at 08:22 AM.

thats right living legend
    Their probably getting ready for the Dirty Dog race?

I personally never found that trail to be any more of a challenge than OM anyway. Just shorter, and less satisfying

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The Dead Dog race has been run for years with the trail basically unchanged. Why would it start now? There appears to be no erosion problems where this is occurring. The only thing I can think of is some riders do not want to be bothered with having to slow down in these areas so they are removing what little challenge there is on the trails. Oak Mountain is definitely a better workout but a lot of riders in that area do not want to drive 40 +miles to get there. The riders out on the trail that I have spoken with do not like the changes that are happening. My biggest question that I hope can be answered is are the changes part of the master plan for the area or is it some individuals having a go of it on there own.

mtbr member

It is not BUMP

We did have a workday out there a month ago, but the only thing we did was spray for Poison Ivy. If you ride out there, you know how bad it was. Even the worst drought I remember couldn't kill it...lol.

I have noticed some of the things you mention, and my thought are that it is the high school. I have ridden out there many times since mid August and have run across teams of male and female atheltes running the trails. Not sure what teams, but groups of 10 -12 high school age girls and groups of 15-20 males.

I am pretty involved in BUMP and the ONLY thing that has been done out there since the last Dead Dog Race last fall is the poison ivy removal. No other trail work. Well, I did replace a broken board on the bridge over the creek right before you go behind the soccer field one afternoon this week, and one on the ramp over the log on the skillet trail a few months ago.

I really think it is either the school, or a lone individual trying to shape the trail to their own liking. If I run across him, I will ask him kindly not to change the trail. Maybe all can do the same.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I felt like it was most likely an individual working alone because the changes are a little here and a little there. Itís nice to know BUMP is not trying to change the trail.

The poison ivy had really gotten out of control it had become nearly impossible to ride through without getting into it.

With bumps web site down what are the plans for trying to hold a meeting in the Trussville area?

mtbr member

WEB site is back up

Not fully functioning yet, but making strides every day. I know there has been some discussion on having one of the regular monthly meetings in Trussville. I don't think one is scheduled yet. I know one of the issues is a place to meet. If you have any suggestions, email them to the webmaster. That will get to all of the board members. I know there is discussion about extending the trail behind the tennis courts and bringing it back around to the road.

I personally would like to see more challenge on the trail. I know there was one spot over by the slick rock where a tree had fallen. One of the guys turned it into a log crossing. Someone removed the logs. They were placed back at least twice, and every time someone else moved them back off the trail.

I guess the obstacles/challenges will have to be created in places where there is another way around them. That is the only way we can add challenge without someone else removing it.

Members who have read this thread: 0