Dirt Eater
    Jan 2005

Recommend me 2 N. GA rides

I'll be up in Atlanta for the Widespread Panic concert at the end of December. Me and my riding buddy are looking to do two rides.
    Our criteria:
    Semi close to Atlanta (within 90 minutes)

Fun. We (read his lazy butt that hasnt been riding much) dont necessarily need the hardest, longest climbs. Just the trails that make you go "Wheeee!!"

We can ride anythign in FL without a problem, so technicality isnt an issue. Just looking to have a ton of fun.

He's ridden the Olympic course and was thinking of heading back again. But if you can give me two cannot miss rides, we can skip that. So give em to me!

mtbr member
    Chicopee - great stuff - some technical stuff, and some lung burners
    Blankets- fun, not too technical
    Tribble Mill - fun, some technical
    Ft Yargo - very fun, smooth roller coaster with potential for some jumps and only short climbs- definitely has the wheeee covered.

Olympic is still one of the best and most challenging. IMO

You can get more info on these in the trail revue section on here.

Dirt Eater
    Jan 2005
    Thanks! I had looked at the reviews, but so may of em are rated so similarly, I was looking for some opinions based on my criteria.

mtbr member
    chicopee in Gainesville gives you the biggest bang for your buck given your distance constraint. Go there, you won't be sorry. Big Creek in Roswell is a shorter ride but is on your way to Chicopee, look into that as well.

[Wheels]
    Dauset Trails are great, great fun. Lotsa twisties.

http://www.sorbachattanooga.org/trails/trails.php?state=3&trail=174/

Arrow Head was a blast to race at this year. That's my only experience with the trails, however.

http://www.sorbachattanooga.org/trai...te=3&trail=179

Georgia International Horse Park in Conyers is still a good ride. If it's good enough for the Olympics and the 24hrs. of adrenaline, it should be good enough for you .
    http://www.sorbachattanooga.org/trai...te=3&trail=166

And...I second Fort Yargo. It's a nice place and you can ride over a couple bridges that cross the lake (I always thought that was cool).

Where is my mind?
    Bull Mountain! Lung busting climbs and screaming hairy descents.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Bear Creek is good too. Being from Florida you guys should skip all of the stuff in Metro ATL for at least one day and head to the mountains. Ride something in the Dahlonega or Ellijay areas as they are easy to get to from Atlanta. That said Chickopee, Blankets, Big Creek, Blah Blah are all good.

mtbr member
    I'd have to agree with Acme54321. Bear Creek is a resonable climb and a rockin' decent! While you're there, I'd recommend doing at least the first two sections of Pinhoti as well. Then if you want a real climb, Stanley Gap is only about 20 minutes north of there. Flat Creek, Green Mountain and the rest of the stuff on the opposite side of Stanley is a fun ride too.

There a ton of great stuff in that area though. Windy Gap and Fort Mountain deserve mention as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    +1 on Bear Creek and Pinhoti 1&2. Be about 22 miles and when you're done you'll know you weren't in FL.

Dirt Eater
    Jan 2005
    Thanks for all the tips, guys. I'm gonna have to see what my buddy can pull off- he's in horrible shape Stupid lazy IT people.

mtbr member
    if your buddy is sluggish, I'd recommend Dauset as well. About 17 mi of trail w/ only one somewhat technical and steep section (huff n puff), which is still a blast.Good scenery and you may not see anyone depending on what day you go.Its in BFE but a very fun course

At Work
    Road Blankets sunday morning, was in ATL to see some friends, great trails, did not hit the expert loop, plan to in the future though............

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Is the new expert loop open??

mtbr member
    I am a big fan of the Pinhoti trail near Dalton GA. Probably my favorite trail in the entire Southeast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    Is the new expert loop open??
    Not officially!

At Work
    I saw the entrance to it on sunday....... cant wait to come back to ATL and check it out.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Carebear
    Not officially!
    So say when I am there in a couple weeks if I somehow wander onto that trail will anyone care?

Resident Bigfoot Expert
    I was out on Friday at Blankets with some first timer friends making a warmup lap on Mosquito Flats, made a strange left turn and all of a sudden was on a trail I had not seen before. If you are heading back down the double track, is the expert trail to the right?

At Work
    I think so, depends on the direction, but there is a bridge or creek crossing right at the start of one of the entrances I believe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by d365
    Chicopee - great stuff - some technical stuff, and some lung burners
    Blankets- fun, not too technical
    Tribble Mill - fun, some technical
    Ft Yargo - very fun, smooth roller coaster with potential for some jumps and only short climbs- definitely has the wheeee covered.

Olympic is still one of the best and most challenging. IMO

You can get more info on these in the trail revue section on here.
    Jumps at Yargo?? Where? I have been out there three times and haven't noticed any jumps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleup05
    Jumps at Yargo?? Where? I have been out there three times and haven't noticed any jumps.

I guess you're not going fast enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    lol i guess not

Members who have read this thread: 0