mtbr member
    Jul 2007

new to gainesville fl

hey im new to gainesville and im looking for other riders to ride with trying to get back in to mtb but its hard when u friends dont ride or have bikes any one in this area looking to ride?

Where is my mind?
    There are a bunch of us from Gainesville. I'm doing Haile's Trail this weekend.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    where is that ?

yeah, uh............bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopod
    There are a bunch of us from Gainesville. I'm doing Haile's Trail this weekend.
    ah crap, Is there a race this weekend??

Where is my mind?
    It's only open once a year, and that's this weekend. Check out:

http://www.goneriding.com/2007/FSC/07-flier-info.pdf

look at the directions in the Gainesville box.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

I guess they scissor?
    whats Hailes trail like?
    if you never ride 30 mph, you'll never ride 30 mph

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by deathb4dnf
    whats Hailes trail like?
    Maybe one of the other guys can chime in. This will be my first ride there.

A Superhero Named Tony
    Quote Originally Posted by deathb4dnf
    whats Hailes trail like?
    Hailes Trails is only open once per year for a race put on by goneriding. The course is open for pre-riding on this Saturday and the race is on Sunday. It's only about five miles in length so the racers run multiple laps. They reverse the direction of the course every year. I believe last year was the tougher way to run the course, but who knows what changes they’ll make. It is on privately owned land which is partially an open pit limestone quarry. The singletrack is pretty tough with short wicked steep climbs, a rock garden, and a few other technical features. You also get to dive into and climb out of the quarry twice on each lap. It's quite a workout. You need to have momentum to get through many of the features.

The pre-ride is open to anybody for $5. Download the flyer at gone-riding's website for directions. If you have any interest in racing you can register there as well. They have divisions from first-time beginner to pro.

Cannondale Snob
    Just go to the local bike-shops to find out about the MTB community up there. My brother lives in Gainesville and just started biking.
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

Jackalope Hunter
    Sorry to continue the threadjack but another Hailes question... I've heard it's a good trail from several people, but how can a trail that's ridden one weekend a year be groomed enough to ride/race? Just curious, thinking about checking it out this weekend.
    (Not for the race )
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

yeah, uh............bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjudy13
    Sorry to continue the threadjack but another Hailes question... I've heard it's a good trail from several people, but how can a trail that's ridden one weekend a year be groomed enough to ride/race? Just curious, thinking about checking it out this weekend.
    (Not for the race )
    Huh, good question. I don't have the answer as to how it stays in great shape, but the two times that I pre-rode and raced out there it was in great shape. If it's dry, everything is ridable; if it's wet, get ready to push your bike up a few of the climbs. Very fun trail, some nasty climbs, but still fun.

Its got what plants crave
    It's only open once a year, and that's this weekend. Check out:

http://www.goneriding.com/2007/FSC/07-flier-info.pdf

look at the directions in the Gainesville box.

Yo Ern, which day do you planning on riding? Thanks for the heads up... I wish this trail was open year round. Saturday I might be down to ride in the morning before the football game since my woman is outta town. Perhaps I can recruit some of my fellow Gainesvillian cronies to come out as well.

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Yo Ern, which day do you planning on riding? Thanks for the heads up... I wish this trail was open year round. Saturday I might be down to ride in the morning before the football game since my woman is outta town. Perhaps I can recruit some of my fellow Gainesvillian cronies to come out as well.
    I've got a few buddies coming out from the general Orlando area for Saturday. The plan is to be there early (Some are talking 10:00 or earlier). I can be there whenever (as long as it's easy to find).

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjudy13
    (Not for the race )
    My guess is that the recut the trail right before this weekend and then get a million riders for this Saturday to pack down the trail for Sunday.

I've got a few buddies coming out from the general Orlando area for Saturday. The plan is to be there early (Some are talking 10:00 or earlier). I can be there whenever (as long as it's easy to find).

10 would probably work good for me since I'd have time to ride and still be back before the game starts. My apartment is actually pretty close to the trail. I'll just run down 39th ave to highway 241, take a left there, and it's the next major road on the right hand side if I recall correctly.

Where is my mind?
    10 would probably work good for me since I'd have time to ride and still be back before the game starts. My apartment is actually pretty close to the trail. I'll just run down 39th ave to highway 241, take a left there, and it's the next major road on the right hand side if I recall correctly.

Sounds cool. I'll be there at 10:00.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    We going earlier because I have to be at wotk around noon (which really means like 1). Probably hit the trail at like 9.

I called a guy I know who helps out at the races and he said that they should ahve the trails open no later than 9 on Saturday.
    Last edited by Acme54321; 10-18-2007 at 08:35 PM.

Sounds cool. I'll be there at 10:00.

Think you can do 9 AM Ernie?

Where is my mind?
    Think you can do 9 AM Ernie?
    I can try 9:00 am. About how long does it take to do a lap?

I think it depends on how long they've made the course but last time it was only like 8 miles.

Jackalope Hunter
    Wow, rode Hailes today... awesome.* I was expecting good but It was outstanding. I won't be racing tomorrow, but man, what a great ride. Too bad its a once a year deal. I'll def be back next year...Oh, to answer my own question from an earlier post, someone rides out there on a regular basis if I had to guess, the trails too perfect to be siiting unused, someone's really lucky. BTW anyone know the official length of the course? It seemed a bit longer than 5 miles but maybe I'm just out of shape.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I thought the course was probably right around 5 miles. No one rides out there regularly. Well I have heard of certain people poaching it, but apparently you get chased off with the barrel of a 12 gauge if the old man who owns it catches you.

Full Suspension = sissy
    Wish I was able to ride with you guys today Next year you can count me in for sure!
    If at the end of your ride you aren't bruised or bloody......You didn't ride hard enough!

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess25
    Wish I was able to ride with you guys today Next year you can count me in for sure!
    Don't worry you won't have to wait a year. The next race there is in March! Perfect riding weather

Full Suspension = sissy
    Awesome!! I'm there!
    If at the end of your ride you aren't bruised or bloody......You didn't ride hard enough!

Hard as nails
    Yeah rode the tail Sat with a bud (jayjudy13) and as he stated, the trails were pimp. Tough though! You do need momentum to finish certain features. It even had approx 3 opportunities for some air time and tail whippin on a humps that are located on the just brfore the apex of the turn Very sweet run

I must say that it was a tough 5 or so miles, the second lap was the best. Managed to clean all except 1 climb glad to hear that there will be a race in March - have to check wit GoneRiding to get the date Very Nice trail!
    Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth.
    Henry David Thoreau

Where is my mind?
    Those climbs were killer. At a few points it seemed to go on forever. It was a really fun course.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess25
    Awesome!! I'm there!

Slacker.

The course was surprisingly dry and dusty, and more strenuous than I remembered. Maybe it was eating half a pizza the night before and not much for breakfast

Ernies friends were pretty cool too, I'm looking forward to the BBQ with them at Santos next month

Where is my mind?

Ernies friends were pretty cool too, I'm looking forward to the BBQ with them at Santos next month
    Janice is already talking about her spare rib recipe!

Ooooh

"SET ME FREE"
    I rode hailey trails only in races and now i read this and I am going to start biking again. its been like two years. Do you ride regularly in haileys. Im in miami and ride oleta and amelia and markham. or i used to.

Jackalope Hunter
    Wow 3 year old thread revival. Brings back memories...

"SET ME FREE"
    lmao... I didnt even notice. I was looking for some info on those trails in gainsville cuz a non-riding friend of mines just moved up there and ran into this thread on google. wow.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Haile's is only open twice a year for Goneriding races.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

"SET ME FREE"
    I guess you could say that.

Ive raced there many times in the past. I loved it!

Members who have read this thread: 0