Whistling in the Dark
    Dec 2006

Montgomery area riders

Anyone riding Saturday morning around the Montgomery area?

Thanks, Mercury

n3rd
    Think I'm going to be heading up to Oak Mountain in the morning and then doing Swayback Sunday with a newbie from work. I had planned to do Dead Dog Sunday but I'd feel like an @$$ if I blew a friend off for a "race" I'm going to get owned at anyway.

Expert Crasher
    I'm doing the Dead Dog on Sunday with Oak Mountain later that day so I'll probably just do 10 miles or so on base to keep the legs warm.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

n3rd
    I'm not feeling the 3 hour drive to oak mountain this morning and some family is going to be at my sister's so I'm just gonna spend all day at swayback and head to deatsville after.

'Bout to leave.. first ride on the c'dale 29er!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cartecs3
    I'm not feeling the 3 hour drive to oak mountain this morning and some family is going to be at my sister's so I'm just gonna spend all day at swayback and head to deatsville after.

'Bout to leave.. first ride on the c'dale 29er!
    Where can you ride at in Deatsville. I work in Prattville and that is not that far away

n3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE JONES
    Where can you ride at in Deatsville. I work in Prattville and that is not that far away
    Deatsville was not for riding my sister lives there.

I was there from about 11 until ~3? Not that busy today.. only saw one person on the trail.. few folk in the parking lot. Was so nice to be on gears again.. it was weird to not have tired legs after ~20 miles. I almost killed myself a few times not being used to the geometry/handling and what not...

Expert Crasher
    Charlie - where the F29 pics?

Oh - and I hope you put some egg beaters on that baby so I could give it a whirl!
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

n3rd
    Pics

I went into a little more detail about likes/dislikes on the blog.. not much to dislike though. Only one ride on it though. Right now it's got the stock SPDs.. I was going to change them out with eggbeaters but I can't find my pedal wrench.. I've been thinking about going back to SPD for a while and after today I'm thinking I might keep them on.. feel more secure than eggbeaters.

Expert Crasher
    Cool. Are you keeping the Rig?

n3rd
    Thought about it but I think I'm going to just sell it...

Whistling in the Dark
    Dec 2006
    Saturday was a beautiful morning to ride swayback... I was gone by about 1030, so I just missed you.

Also, great looking bike.

n3rd
    Went up today with a friend from work who loved the trail especially the zipper. We ended up doing about 14 miles.. a modified black loop I do.. which is just black - the last 2 miles so you come out on the logging road and then a gold loop. I tried my hand at taking some video whilst moving.. aka one hand on the cam one hand on the bar.. tried it in a non techy spot this time although it hit some rooty spots so the video gets all jumpy and at one point covered up cause I almost wrecked Few photos as well..

Video is embedded in blog post so here's a linky:

http://www.randomriding.com/2007/10/...-on-wheel.html

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    Quote Originally Posted by cartecs3
    Went up today with a friend from work who loved the trail especially the zipper. We ended up doing about 14 miles.. a modified black loop I do.. which is just black - the last 2 miles so you come out on the logging road and then a gold loop. I tried my hand at taking some video whilst moving.. aka one hand on the cam one hand on the bar.. tried it in a non techy spot this time although it hit some rooty spots so the video gets all jumpy and at one point covered up cause I almost wrecked Few photos as well..

Video is embedded in blog post so here's a linky:

http://www.randomriding.com/2007/10/...-on-wheel.html
    Here ya go!

http://www.petefagerlin.com/video_how_to.htm

Check out the rest of the guy's site. He has the best helmet cam vids I've seen!
    The standing eight count & three knockdown rules are in effect on this trail.

http://compvelo.com/content/

n3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by xray_ed
    Here ya go!

http://www.petefagerlin.com/video_how_to.htm

Check out the rest of the guy's site. He has the best helmet cam vids I've seen!
    Wow. I would hate to be riding with that.. If I was getting serious enough to carry a real video camera vs. my digital photo based camera I'd just buy one of the real deal helmet cams.

GreenLightGo has alerted me to a pretty good mount I just have to get it ordered.. not sure what kind of video it would do since it's going to be a handlebar mount and everytime I've tried that the camera just gets beaten to death.. but it should make good pictures.

Whistling in the Dark
    Dec 2006
    this site also has some great videos, and has a nice howto guide as well:

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/VideoHowToGuide.htm

I recommend checking out the cannel plunge video (trail I did last summer and twice in 2006 before I moved out east)

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/CannellPlunge.htm

n3rd
    Hmm.. so it seems like nobody really likes the lipstick helmet camera deals? All the websites those two sites linked to all were talking about mounting the whole camera to your head.. I guess quality loss?

I've done some brainstorming.. and looking at those sites helped.. I think I'm going to try and make a mount using the tripod screw on the bottom of the camera as the main mounting point and figuring out a way to strap it to my helmet like my dinotte lights work.

Also.. is anyone else getting "the server is too busy at the moment" a whole bunch today/yesterday on the forums?

Expert Crasher
    Cannel Plunge video is great. Is that guy in the white riding rigid? Crazy fool....That trail is full squish nirvana.

n3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    Cannel Plunge video is great. Is that guy in the white riding rigid? Crazy fool....That trail is full squish nirvana.
    I think overall I enjoy riding rigid more.. but a suspension fork is definitely more comfy over the long haul.. so I guess on longer rides I'd end up not enjoying a rigid fork.. and enjoying a suspension fork.. very complicated!

I dunno if I'm unconciously being "macho" but I just feel.. not sure how to put it.. like I "flow" more on singletrack with a rigid--I've definitely missed it the few weeks I've been without it. For some reason I feel a whole lot more comfortable with a Rigid and I'll take a whole lot more risk than I will with a suspension fork.. kinda backwards thinking I guess heh. Though I will definitely NOT miss it for any future enduro events because I could barely grip stuff after ~60 miles. I will definitely be going rigid on whatever frame replaces the Rig though..

Although.. I have felt more comfortable with my new Lefty fork than I did with my Reba and I only have two rides on the Lefty!

Also.. been sitting here watching all these guys videos.. and wow.. I really want to go out west now. Watching the freaking Fruita Experience Video from Peter Fragerlin was very depressing.. Thanks for linking me a couple weeks worth of procrastination.. we just got a new 10meg fiber optic line at work that's not in production yet.. so.. guess what I will be doing tomorrow!

Members who have read this thread: 0