paintbucket

McCormick Cty, SC Sunday ride

I'm planning to ride the "Connector" from Turkey Creek to Modoc and back on Sunday if anybody wants to join me, starting about noon. These trails are in McCormick County, SC, about 1/2 an hour north of FATS. Its maybe 30 miles of old school singletrack and about 15 miles of dirt road and pavement. Terrain is rolling (code for bring your singlespeed). Ride time is 5-6 hrs. I'll make a water drop at the halfway point.

Meeting place is Key Bridge (394055E 3739790N or 33° 47' 41"N, 82° 08' 40"W). I usually park at the canoe put in on the south side of the creek rather than at the trailhead (which is on the north side of the creek).

http://sctrails.net/trails/ALLTRAILS...rkeycreek.html
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    What is this? Wooglin organizing a ride. . . Yeeeee gawds the heavens must be opening up.

I haven't been to the south lately. Have a good ride.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    What is this? Wooglin organizing a ride. . . Yeeeee gawds the heavens must be opening up.
    I know. I must be getting soft.

Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    I haven't been to the south lately. Have a good ride.
    You should come on down. Its a good route.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    What time? You planning on the water drop at Modoc? You plan to ride Wine Creek ?

I may join you as I haven't done that route in a while.

I may even have a slightly different connector route b/n Turkey and Modoc than what you have ridden in the past. Its the old school route that we lost about 8 years ago to a timber cut but it has now come back together....and even mostly now USFS lands (instead of paper company.)

I just got this today in the SORBA CSRA e-newsletter, perhaps you did too.....

Turkey Creek – There is a tree down in the first mile, the final bridge is burned up entirely, some debris on the trail primarily after the big whoop-ti-doos after the 5 mile mark from the flood, and the foliage needs mowing but the report is that the trail is not as bad as we might imagine – hopefully we can get this work scheduled soon.

Wine Creek- Needs mowing in the first two miles and other areas where the foliage is close to the trail, the first bridge needs to be repositioned again, and there is a tree down at .8 mile from Key Bridge.

Modoc – Trail is probably in the best condition it has been in in several years!

Edit to add: The USFS finished the bridge work. So when you park in the canoe lot, you just ride across the new bridge and turn left onto the trail w/o getting on any pavement. I'd say the canoe lot is now the parking lot and the small side of the road is for people that haven't figured that out yet.

paintbucket
    That'd be cool if you could come Bill. I'd lke to see the old route through the clearcut. I've got the kid until 10am, then plan to jump in the car and drive right over. A quick stop at the end of Modoc to drop the water and some sammies, and then back to Key Bridge for the start. I'm thinking noon should do it. Probalby skip Wine this time, but we can always tack it on to the end if we want (yeah, right).

mtbr member
    Wooglin, I rode FATS for the first time 3 weeks ago and had a great ride even though it was at least 115 degress down there (I'm not joking, 2 full bladders/ 4 bottles and two beers later)! I did it on the SS and you would be proud to know that my FS bike has still got the original dust on it that it had when we rode at the Issa. Hope to make it back down there once it gets colder. When are you coming back to the Upstate for some digging? when you do, get in touch b/c I would love to see what you are doing down from the farm. Oh yeah, ride too!

J.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by 4000psi
    Wooglin, I rode FATS for the first time 3 weeks ago and had a great ride even though it was at least 115 degress down there (I'm not joking, 2 full bladders/ 4 bottles and two beers later)! I did it on the SS and you would be proud to know that my FS bike has still got the original dust on it that it had when we rode at the Issa. Hope to make it back down there once it gets colder. When are you coming back to the Upstate for some digging? when you do, get in touch b/c I would love to see what you are doing down from the farm. Oh yeah, ride too!

J.
    It'll only be the mid-90s this weekend, and these trails are the antithesis of FATS. They're hiking trails built back in the 70s. Completely different animal.

Working on getting funds for a project up near Walhalla. Probably happen in the spring.

mtbr member
    wish I could make it...that's my old stompin' grounds. haven't rode Turkey Creek in over 10 years.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    I'm pointing towards this. I can guarentee to be on the route from Key to Modoc. What happens at Modoc - I dunno.

We could use a few more web pullers for this ride. I'll try to scare up the Greenwooders or a few locals that prolly have never done The Connector. It'll be like 2004 all over again.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by seenvic
    I'm pointing towards this. I can guarentee to be on the route from Key to Modoc. What happens at Modoc - I dunno.

We could use a few more web pullers for this ride. I'll try to scare up the Greenwooders or a few locals that prolly have never done The Connector. It'll be like 2004 all over again.
    Sweet. I'll just need a head count for sandwiches and water at Modoc. We can leave a car there as well if we want. Hell, given how little I've been on the bike of late it might be a good idea.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    I am back pedaling after hearing the forecast for Sunday....high of 97.

It will be 70 degrees in the morning and reach the high about 2-3 pm.

I know you can't get here earlier, but I dunno if I can/want to ride in upper 90's temperatures if I can avoid it.....which I can by going earlier. The upside for you is if I do it earlier w/ a small group (which is also in tune to the high temps), we will get all the webs pulled for you.

I'll be in touch. Pretty sure I have your cell #.

paintbucket
    Only 97? That'll seem chilly after the last several weeks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    I'm out for noon. A small crew is going earlier. No webs for you is the best I got.

paintbucket
    That's it Bill, just go right ahead and jack my ride. Why don't I leave my cooler out so you can drink all my beer when you're done, too?

<-----------

Members who have read this thread: 0