Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Markham Park Info

Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    Las Olas is the trail that you can ride after you come from Area 51 and the big undulating wooden bridge feature called Pipeline. Just go straight when you pass that tiny wood bridge and you see the wooden sign "Las Olas". The trail is almost like a pump track. Las Olas will lead you into "Huck You" and Eviction. The woman who makes the signs is on a mission to replace all the trail signs with different designs and cool lettering.
    Awesome. That sign is unique and pretty cool
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Jackalope Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post
    To clear up the controversial fees that have started at Markham heres a post from one of the Markham Park Trail Builders:

"This morning the core group of Markham Trail Volunteers had a meeting with park management to get the FACTS regarding the new "Amenities Fees" the county will be charging. So in efforts to keep everyone informed of what's going on I want to share the information to set things straight.
    As of April 1st, 2013, Broward County Parks will begin charging an "Amenities Fee" at all county parks. In regards to Markham this will include a $25 per year usage fee for the MTB Trails, Model Airplane Field, and Dog Park (all separate fees). There will also be a one day pass available for $5. Starting April 1st, anyone wishing to enter the Trail Head Gate must go to the Park Office and pay the fee..."
    Wait so to clarify, us out of towners who drive down to Markham once or twice a year would only have to pay $5 to ride, not $25+ to ride? That's would be major bummer otherwise. It already costs me about $80 in gas.
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    No you can ride $5 a day per person as well.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Jackalope Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    No you can ride $5 a day per person as well.
    Okay cool thanks. I love Markham, but the 3.5 hour drive keeps me from riding there more than very occasionally.
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

mtbr member
    The passes are being checked and I recommend getting it done. The holes in the fences will be repaired as well, so going through them will no longer be an option. You don't really want to get caught for destruction of county property and trespassing as well. From the 'powers that be' I was told that enforcement will pick up more and this can only benefit the trail system.

On a lighter note; the trails are in great shape after all the rain..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My first time there last week and did 2 full laps all trails....had a blast.
    Glad I followed someone with experience, since trail direction can be confusing.
    Watched the video, paid the $25 and ready to hit it on a regular basis.

mtbr member
    ^ Glad you enjoyed the trails!!

mtbr member
    cant wait to move back down there for good... now alafia is my home trail which is also amazing
    2011 Trek 4300....
    2009 Specialized Elite Stumpjumper....

mtbr member

Markham Park Info

Nothing wrong with Alafia though. Never ridden it, but hear good things about it and Balm Boyette too!

mtbr member
    You would really like Alafia it's very similar to markham
    2011 Trek 4300....
    2009 Specialized Elite Stumpjumper....

mtbr member
    This summer I'll make some time to ride there. It will be hot, but so what right?? Good to lose some pounds that way too...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Id like to say thanks to all the people that volunteer out at markham.... Just started riding there about 2 months because the the park manager had me all sketched out about the experience level needed to ride all the sections of the park....Known Trevor for a long time and trusted his judgement on bike experience

So after practicing my skills at quiet waters for 5 months straight, 4-5 days a week, i was surprised how easy the trails were....and how well they were maintained..... Unfortunately the park is quite a distance from my house which prevents me from volunteering there yet and riding there on the weekends! But this summer i plan to pay my respect and help out at a trail system which ive become to love....I find its challenging enough for me because personally i cant afford to get hurt and its just awesome with this rain coming down....

Rode there yesterday and it was fantastic until i broke a chain on the drops on Crime Scene.....then it was un-fantastic scootering my bike back to the parking lot.....Will never not carry a power link from now on.....DAMN OLD CHAIN! LOL

Big Thanks to all you Volunteers....See you out there soon!

Oh yeah and the $25 is sooo worth it to keep less desirables off the trails.....since i ride quiet waters, you'd see old woman on beach cruisers on the trails just destroying everything, and shouldnt be even trying some of the feature on bikes they were riding...No offense to woman riders...got my ass handed to me by one the other day! but Since implamenting the fee i havent seen any of those riders any more! And the trails are showing!

mtbr member

Markham Park Info

Thanks Mike! The fee helps in more ways than one . See you on TM days!

mtbr member
    Tomorrow is TM day!! I hope to see a few peeps out there as we need to trim the veggies and pick up the potato vine seeds....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Rode markham on Friday morning and the trails were just perfect......Not one patch of soft sand nor mud.....what a pleasant ride!

Had my first sub hour ride there too..... 59:12 riding every trail the hard ways threw....all expert sections....I know its not fast but ive only been riding now 7 months and was out for a month with a bad shoulder....

It was still 6 mins faster then my best time.... I hear people can buzz threw it in under 42 mins so i have a goal to work toward.....

Hopefully i can get out there on tues or weds for another lap! See you on the trails~

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Rode yesterday, yes yesterday during and after all that rain. Trails were flooded but had loads of fun anyways. Trails were good as always, other than alligator alley being flooded almost completely. Keep up the good work OscarW and many others.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Thanks! We were working on Alligator yesterday and had to wait in the truck while it was raining... I couldn't help out today though but I am sure a few projects got done anyway..

mtbr member

Markham Park Info

Someone was working around Big Gulp today. Trails was good, a little wet around 9am but riding well. We just go a town of rain here in Boca, not sure about Markham.

mtbr member

Markham Park Info

Big Gulp was restored to its old ways...

mtbr member
    Update on Markham!
    It is soggy, wet and overgrown in places....
    Last TM day we only had 7 peeps show up and we tried to do what we could, but the Fakawi tour was going on too, so many regulars were riding that instead.
    Please stay out of the flooded Rte 66 trail, as nobody will come and get you if you have an accident. You're on your own in there. Oh one more thing, the mosquitos are out in full force, so keep moving when you ride. The bug spray I used, had little effect when I worked in Gunrange...

rubber side down
    Hey Oscar, thanks for all you do there! I have not been back to Markham for some time. Been hitting Amelia Earhart. Hope this week is dry, planning on hitting it up Sunday.

Hows the fishing? Heating up?

Update on Markham!
    It is soggy, wet and overgrown in places....
    Last TM day we only had 7 peeps show up and we tried to do what we could, but the Fakawi tour was going on too, so many regulars were riding that instead.
    Please stay out of the flooded Rte 66 trail, as nobody will come and get you if you have an accident. You're on your own in there. Oh one more thing, the mosquitos are out in full force, so keep moving when you ride. The bug spray I used, had little effect when I worked in Gunrange...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Markham Park Info

I'm not oscar but I was there a week ago, all the trails were good other than Route 66 being flooded and closed off. Because most of the trails are under trees which I'm sure you know, they are a lot cooler and easier to ride.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post
    Hey Oscar, thanks for all you do there! I have not been back to Markham for some time. Been hitting Amelia Earhart. Hope this week is dry, planning on hitting it up Sunday.

Hows the fishing? Heating up?
    Fishing has been very good and still is although we are now all fishing in the AM as the heat is getting tough even on the water. I rode 90% of the trails this AM and if the rain stays away they will be perfect for the week. The only thing is that the vegetation is getting to be too much in places... Have fun riding !!

Hi There!
    Is it possible to get some signs on the connector trails that indicate which way toward the other trails? The other day I came off Rock Garden i think it was (it ended right by that freeride stuff), got out to the novice connector trail and had no idea which way to go. I've ridden there over 10 times thru the years and still haven't found all the trails I see on youtube. Trails I have ridden are very cool though, thanks.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Right now we have a big issue with the overgrowth of the vegetation obscuring some trail connections but I see your point in better signage. Rock Garden actually leads to Armadillo and from there straight over the wood bridge into Redback that is next to the Free ride area...From Armadillo you can also go to Iguana Ridge/Fishinghole loop if you make a left across the open area (aka Dump) , climb the steep hill and follow that trail. It will lead back up to the exit of Armadillo.. Hope it helps...

yeah, uh............bikes
    thegweed..... what's with the swastikas in your avatar?
    Last edited by FloridaFish; 06-13-2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: specify who i'm asking

Hi There!
    Right now we have a big issue with the overgrowth of the vegetation obscuring some trail connections but I see your point in better signage. Rock Garden actually leads to Armadillo and from there straight over the wood bridge into Redback that is next to the Free ride area...From Armadillo you can also go to Iguana Ridge/Fishinghole loop if you make a left across the open area (aka Dump) , climb the steep hill and follow that trail. It will lead back up to the exit of Armadillo.. Hope it helps...
    Thanks OscarW, I appreciate how helpful you are with this trail, and your reply will help as well. Now that I think about it I should get my booty out there and help with trail maintenance before I whine!!! Thanks again for all you and the other volunteers do!
    Last edited by TheGweed; 06-14-2013 at 04:05 AM.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Does anyone know if Markham is closed this Sunday? I thought i heard something about a race going on there.

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFish View Post
    thegweed..... what's with the swastikas in your avatar?
    That's an American WWII bomber and the tradition then was if you shot down a nazi plane or bombed a nazi something you would put a swastika on your plane, if you shot down something japanese you put a japanese flag.
    NTFTC

rubber side down
    Finally made it back to Markham...also had to pay the pipper....$53 bones.....

ATTENTION:
    If you go to Markham DO NOT FORGET THE BUG SPRAY! Holy mosquitoes that look like freaking birds!
    Bummed that Rt 66 was closed, almost went around the block, but Oscar's posts were punching me in the nads.....

Lots of big loose rocks in the middle of some of the trails, can only imagine it was from the race on Saturday....also that nice little gap jump on section 2 of the Outback is all jacked from the kOOks locking up their breaks instead of jumping it.

The new section of Alligator Alley is really nice tho, breaking in.....
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    You must be really bored if you have read this entire post.

mtbr member
    Just a reminder that there will be someone at the gate to check for the new required passes this entire week! They are getting tough on it again. Outback extension has been destroyed by peeps who ride their brakes and not the trail.. It will be repaired shortly and if I have a say in it...., parts will be paved to prevent excess wear on that trail and the crew rebuilding it. We need to do some serious cutting back of the vegetation and if the weather is bad this weekend it may happen since there won't be too many peeps complaining about work being done...
    The trails are in decent shape considering the races and weather we have had.

The annual "Rumble in the Jungle" will happen August 4!!!! The funds raised go to the trail and if the stars align we may be able to buy a Toro Dingo and not have to rent a BobCat anymore!!

More Human Than Human
    Hello Oscar,

Thank you for your efforts with the trails at Markham. I have been a regular ever since I started off trail riding back in 1997 with my Gary Fisher Kaitai! I have seen the evolution of the trails since then and it is for the better. This past weekend ride I was notified by park staff about the new fee that surprised me that it was not done earlier; it takes much effort, time and money to maintain trails while on the hot - humid South Florida sun with the official state "bird" (a.k.a. The Mosquito) keeping you company does not make it a very fun venture. The trails have provided me with hundreds of hours of great rides and a fit body to experience life with. Continue the great workmanship.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
    -Confucius

mtbr member
    You're welcome! I wish the fee would go directly to the trail but it doesn't. However, we are getting to use the county equipment in return so that works out very well for us. The park manager has been a great supporter of the trail-system by getting us as many materials as his budget allows. This coming sunday is TM day and we hope that we have a decent turnout since there is a lot to do before the 'Rumble in the Jungle' race on August 4th This fundraiser race is totally dedicated to the trail build fund and all proceeds are for trail maintenance equipment and materials. Hope to see you on the trails!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Good work indeed!!! You guys are awesome! Can you provide more details on TM days?

mtbr member
    TM is every first sunday of the month and all you need to bring is what you want to drink, eat and snack. Work-boots, long pants and long sleeve shirt as well as work gloves are recommended. We have all the tools and we meet at the trail head at 8:30. There are guys in MTB Patrol shirts around who will divvy up the work. If you have specific skills or pet peeves you want to address, you can let someone in 'charge' know. Unless there is priority project that requires a lot of work and people you can usually do your 'thing' after you run that by the peeps in 'charge'... It is a community effort and every volunteer has a voice. If something makes sense the group will agree and proceed. You'll get ribbed if you have a dumb idea.. It is all in good humor and we all want one thing....better trails!
    Hope to see you on a TM day!

mtbr member
    Today we had a good turn-out for some repair, trimming of trees and clean up! Thanks to those who showed up and lost a few pounds in the process...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I wish I could have made it out earlier, I wasn't able to get out to the trails until 3pm. I need to plan to be there for the August TM day.

mtbr member

Smile

No Problem! Not everyone of the 'core' group can make it every time either.
    We all have work and families that get in the way somehow of TM and riding....

rubber side down
    Great, now I know the day and time I'll make sure me and my son make it out! Do you work for a couple hours then ride, or is it strictly work?

Whats up with Rt 66? Just cause it's wet or are there other issues...it's one of our favorite trails and I love the black section towards the end.

mtbr member
    Some guys ride before TM work starts and we work till noon 30 or beyond depending on the work load. Nobody wants to leave an unfinished job, as that could lead to a trail being temporary closed.
    Rte 66 is closed because it is the lowest point in the park and it floods bad as a lot of water ends up there. The skeeters are super bad in there, as is the vegetation since nobody is doing cut back until the rainy season is over.

More Human Than Human
    You're welcome! I wish the fee would go directly to the trail but it doesn't. However, we are getting to use the county equipment in return so that works out very well for us. The park manager has been a great supporter of the trail-system by getting us as many materials as his budget allows. This coming sunday is TM day and we hope that we have a decent turnout since there is a lot to do before the 'Rumble in the Jungle' race on August 4th This fundraiser race is totally dedicated to the trail build fund and all proceeds are for trail maintenance equipment and materials. Hope to see you on the trails!!

Hello Oscar,

Thank you for the reply. I hit the trails this past Saturday mid-day and was told by your fellow "red shirts" that you were working. Just wanted to thank you and your team in person and hope to help out with the trails when I move to Sunrise in the near future.

Maybe this was posted before on this thread but here is a relatively up to date map of the trails at Markham for those who are not familiar. Currently there are a few new trails but this map will guide you well. Also here is a shot of my ride this past Saturday (perfect riding day). Enjoy!

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
    -Confucius

mtbr member
    Thanks THX.. It is a labor of love and it is always nice to hear a thank you from riders. 99.9% of them do and the negative idiots are promptly ignored.
    May their tires be flat every ride right?!?....
    Hope to meet up when you move down here!!
    Last edited by OscarW; 07-25-2013 at 06:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Reminder for the "Rumble in the Jungle" !! On August 4 we will host the big annual fundraiser that will allow us to do all the trail work! We have big plans for a few of the trails and with enough $$ we can make them come true sooner rather than later.
    Thank you for your support!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A bit off-topic, but isn't the pass supposed to be valid at Quiet waters as well ? It says so on the card, but when I went on a Saturday, the attendant still requested the $1.50 entrance fee.....which I paid, no big deal......just curious

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    A bit off-topic, but isn't the pass supposed to be valid at Quiet waters as well ? It says so on the card, but when I went on a Saturday, the attendant still requested the $1.50 entrance fee.....which I paid, no big deal......just curious
    The $1.50 is the weekend park entrance fee. Should be the same at Markham on weekends. Weekdays, no entrance fees.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    the pass is for usage of the mountain bike trials only. You still have to pay the entrance fee.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    What are conditions like at MArkham? Is Rt. 66 open? Friend and I are looking to shoot down that way on Saturday.

Thanks.
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    66 is still closed. It is totally overgrown and since it is raining today, it will remain closed for a while. If the rain isn't too heavy today the trails should be perfect by Saturday! We need to do some serious cut-back on all the trails. I was gone for 2 weeks and some trails are a real jungle but still passable, just wear glasses to protect your eyes!!!

mtbr member
    To recap a few things at Markham. We are getting a real bathroom and a pavilion of our own, courtesy of the county! When that will happen is not exactly clear but it is coming fairly soon. Peeps were out here with blueprints and measuring devices.
    The Rumble was a great success and we were able to purchase a trailer and a Toro Dingo. This is a walk behind mini Bobcat. With this tool we can make bigger strides in repair, rebuilding and adding new trails. This Saturday we are going to build an all new skills area near the pump track. Today the area was re graded using the Dingo and the county dozer.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    To recap a few things at Markham. We are getting a real bathroom and a pavilion of our own, courtesy of the county! When that will happen is not exactly clear but it is coming fairly soon. Peeps were out here with blueprints and measuring devices.
    The Rumble was a great success and we were able to purchase a trailer and a Toro Dingo. This is a walk behind mini Bobcat. With this tool we can make bigger strides in repair, rebuilding and adding new trails. This Saturday we are going to build an all new skills area near the pump track. Today the area was re graded using the Dingo and the county dozer.
    Any DJs in the future near the pumptrack. Nothing hug, just some fun tabletops would be great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OffCamber View Post
    Any DJs in the future near the pumptrack. Nothing hug, just some fun tabletops would be great.
    Not that I am aware of but the Free Ride area has some DJ's etc... Sunday Sept 1 we will have our regular TM day and for those who show up we will have food and drinks afterwards at Pavilion #1 near the camping area. There is a levee race to benefit the trails and the BBQ is open to the trail crew too.

Crash test dummy
    I have to say that the trails are great now. The course for the Rumble was great. You guys have made huge improvements in the last couple year.

Thanks for all the hard work

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Can anyone inform on the new fee. I have the year pass and I ride twice every week. But for the last week or so I've had to sit it out due to bent chainrings. But I planned on coming out this up coming week. I would hate to get turned away at the gate.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by o.g status View Post
    Can anyone inform on the new fee. I have the year pass and I ride twice every week. But for the last week or so I've had to sit it out due to bent chainrings. But I planned on coming out this up coming week. I would hate to get turned away at the gate.
    if you have the yearly pass then youve already paid?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah I paid around 13 bucks 4 months ago when I started riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yeah I paid around 13 bucks 4 months ago when I started riding.
    sounds like youve already paid the new fee then

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ok awesome, I was starting to sweat for a second

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBandit View Post
    I have to say that the trails are great now. The course for the Rumble was great. You guys have made huge improvements in the last couple year.

Thanks for all the hard work
    You're Welcome! It takes a lot of work from a small dedicated group of volunteers to get all the work done and we can always use more help, specially on TM days.
    Sept 1 is the big day as we need to trim all the trails and we will focus on that work only. There will not be any heavy lifting done AFAIK..

As others have stated already, you're good to go. We have had sporadic gate checking lately, but the county is working on a 7 day a week gate person being there. Enjoy your rides!

mtbr member
    hi OscarW -

i'm a bit of a noob and i'm loving what you guys are doing out at markham. i've been out there most weekends for the past year and its great to see all the repairs and improvements happening out there.

i'm still learning my way around and which trails are suitable for my limited experience and riding skillz. my question is...does anyone have a better/updated map of the trails with their names and difficulty rating? while many of the trails are clearly marked a few are a little harder to identify for a noob. of course once located, its much easier to find my way back the time...the map on the broward county website is i bit hard to decipher.

thanks in advance

mtbr member
    A new map will be forthcoming as soon as we have built the Adaptive MTB trails as they need to be on the new map too, (the layout is not 100% set in stone). We are waiting for the weather to cool down some to start that huge project as we will add almost a mile of trail that is accessible for the 3 wheeled bikes.
    This coming Sunday we have a Trail Maintenance day and we will have to do a lot of cutting back which will make the trails more visible as well. If you can lend a hand you will also learn more on where the trails are at too..

mtbr member
    i definitely will come out for some TM. unfortunately, the family already has me booked for the holiday weekend. is there anything scheduled before 10/6? (1st sunday of oct)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHat View Post
    i definitely will come out for some TM. unfortunately, the family already has me booked for the holiday weekend. is there anything scheduled before 10/6? (1st sunday of oct)
    Every first Sunday of each month is TM day and sometimes we do work on non TM days which we may post up on FB if we need more folks. Hope to see you either riding or on a TM day!

mtbr member
    We had a very big turnout for our trail cutback day and we got everything cut in 3 hours flat.
    Really unbelievable as we needed about 5 miles of trail done and we did it.
    A huge thanks to all who came out and busted their butts.

mtbr member

Good job! Markham trail repair update..

A bit of an update.
    The last two days have been all about repairing some of the trails and we fixed the last berm in WarmUp loop and today we also repaired the climb into Iguana Ridge. This trail will remain closed for quite a few days as the fill we used was quite wet and it needs time to dry out. The boulders in front of the trail are there to keep peeps out. Some dumb-asses wanted to ride it while we were still working on it....
    Tomorrow the Skills area should reach 90% completion and will be done before the "take a kid mountain biking" event.
    There is a big pile of fill in Middle Earth that will be used to fix Washing Machine and parts of Alligator/Black Snake and Rock Garden. The vegetation in the trails have been cut back about 95% at this moment.
    As a side note: Please respect trail closures as they happen. It is for your safety as well as ours. You're not cool, not special, just a moron and a nuisance to us when you try to ride it. When big equipment is roaring away we can't hear well and an accident can be serious. All the material and equipment we move around, weighs in at several TONS. Spandex is no match....

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. Your work is greatly appreciated by many more then a few knuckleheads who can't figure out on their own that an area is closed for repairs/improvements. With that said, any update on Route 66?

mtbr member
    You're welcome. Rte 66 has been cut back 90% and we need to repair the big climb where the conveyor belt used to be. This will likely happen during the Oct TM day when we have more people out working. Right now it is just two people doing the current repair work and our priority is not 66 but other trails like Ted's, Washing Machine, Red-back, Area 51 and Armadillo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Please respect trail closures as they happen. It is for your safety as well as ours. You're not cool, not special, just a moron and a nuisance to us when you try to ride it. When big equipment is roaring away we can't hear well and an accident can be serious. All the material and equipment we move around, weighs in at several TONS. Spandex is no match....
    You must be the one of the two people I spoke with on friday afternoon fixing the track talking about morons! lol I was the guy on the bench after armadillo with the blur lt. Trails are coming out very nicely thanks a bunch for your hard work!

Crash test dummy
    Yeah I cant wait to see all the reopened trails. I thank you guys again for the work you guys have done

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Under Pressure, I remember! Good bike choice as I have a Blur Lt as well.
    The other guy you spoke with was Richard B, he is the guy in charge of (re)building projects.

mtbr member
    A bit of an update. The trails are all open except Rte 66... The Warmup loop has been redone in spots and will be part of the AMTB trail system. An entirely new skills area has been built and will open soon, it will sport a teeter-totter as well. The pumptrack is under reconstruction at the moment. The entrance to Iguana Ridge has been rebuilt also. And finally the new AMTB trail has been flagged and will get cut during the Oct 6 TM day.
    For the Oct 6 TM day we need a lot of help as we also will have to cut out the road that parallels Gunrange trail as this too is part of the Adaptive trail and has become a dangerous single track road blocking access for EMS!!

Crash test dummy
    What is an AMTB trail?

mtbr member
    AMTB is an Adaptive Mountain Bike trail which is designed for 3 wheeled MTB's. These bikes are like recumbent trikes for trail riding usually used by disabled riders like wounded warriors etc.

Crash test dummy
    That is great to hear. I hope I gets put to good use.
    Semper Fi

mtbr member
    Today a new addition to the trails was added as we now have a new skills area. It is for new riders to learn a few things while having some fun too. There are 2 log-overs, a skinny, a teeter-totter, a berm, a bit of a rock garden and a woodsy trail.
    Next weekend the big project starts up and we hope for a good turn-out as we need to make the AMTB trail a reality.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    For this weekend's event, I've noticed it's now 'Bring your Mom' biking day too. Having trouble finding rentals for her. Will there be anything available similar to what they have at CB Smith Park?

Trust me, my wife will not be hitting any of the singletrack except for that cruiser loop around gunrange maybe.

mtbr member
    I honestly have no idea about bike rentals other then maybe Alex Pro Bike shop on 84... For the cruiser loop a regular bike is plenty fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I honestly have no idea about bike rentals other then maybe Alex Pro Bike shop on 84... For the cruiser loop a regular bike is plenty fine.
    Thanks OscarW. I'll check it out.
    Still looking for mountains in Florida

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCsMamba View Post
    Thanks OscarW. I'll check it out.
    You're welcome and it was nice meeting you a few days back. I ended up doing one more lap after you left... It was such a great weather day!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Glad you got that lap in before the storm. It came down sideways a few miles east in Davie. At any rate, you can count on me for Sunday volunteer duty. Is there anything I need to bring?

mtbr member

Markham Park Info

Some work gloves and plenty to drink! CU Sunday!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Some work gloves and plenty to drink! CU Sunday!
    Just found out my brother-in-law wants to try riding at Markham tomorrow. I won't be able to volunteer as it works out. I'll put the 3rd Sunday into my calendar though. Sorry bud.

mtbr member

Markham Park Info

No sweat , have fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JCsMamba View Post
    Just found out my brother-in-law wants to try riding at Markham tomorrow. I won't be able to volunteer as it works out. I'll put the 3rd Sunday into my calendar though. Sorry bud.
    Make sure you yell at the volunteers to move out the way and stop blocking the trails when you ride past them.. they seem to like that
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sandspur View Post
    make sure you yell at the volunteers to move out the way and stop blocking the trails when you ride past them.. They seem to like that
    lmao

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    any clue why the trail "outback-pro extension" has been closed for the last 2 weeks?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by brandontrek1 View Post
    any clue why the trail "outback-pro extension" has been closed for the last 2 weeks?
    posted by oscar yesterday on the facebook page:
    " Because the entrance is a mud hole and the drop is in need of repair. Perhaps tomorrow we may get at it if enough people show up for TM day..."
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    We repaired the mud-hole and the drop in Outback Extension today so when the fill is dry we will open it up. Likely tomorrow if it doesn't rain.... The drop however is a mess as the big dozer got stuck and we had to patch up the berm a bit. Lot's of loose small rocks that could cause a fall...
    We used 20 tons of fill just for this trail.... The new AMTB was started on today and will require a lot more work but it is looking good!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    Make sure you yell at the volunteers to move out the way and stop blocking the trails when you ride past them.. they seem to like that
    ROFL... Actually almost all riders were very positive today. It may have had something to do with a mini-dozer blocking the trail....LOL!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If you every have volunteer days on Friday or Saturday I would be more than happy to lend a hand. Sadly I work on Sundays.

Where will the ATMB trail fit into the map?

mtbr member

Markham Park Info

The new trail is west of Outback parallel to the fire road. It starts at the end of Traverse near Las Olas .

mtbr member

Trail Update

Tomorrow a small group of people will continue to work on the AMTB trail as we almost bit of more the we can chew in the tree cutting department...There are so many trees and saplings to cut, that the original TM crew from last week used up all the chains on the saws. With a fresh batch of peeps and chains, we should make some more progress tomorrow.. The Pumptrack is finished and will open tomorrow, as will a new feature in Area 51 just before Pipeline. It was build this AM.
    Some trimming was done in warm-up and Redback this Am as well and all trails are good to go except Rte 66.. I know it sucks but the trail is soaked and overgrown again. If the rain stops we will prioritize this to open it ASAP.. Enjoy the weekend!!

mtbr member
    thanks Oscar. I'll be out there tomorrow for a ride. are you going to be working out there?

mtbr member
    You're welcome! If you heard the noise of saws near the Outback trail that was us! Just 3 of us finished the first half of the new trail and made a dent in the second part. We had to attend the Mountain bike patrol class and CPR/first aid so we worked only in the AM but it is looking good!

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Route 66 Update!

For those of you that have asked about Rte.66 opening up, this coming Sunday we will have a cutback event so that we can reopen Rte.66. We will meet at the trailhead at 8:15. The more people we get to help out, the faster the trail will open up. The rainy season has wreaked havoc in this trail and there is a lot of grass, brush and a few downed trees to deal with. If you like to lend a hand, please bring a weed-eater if you have one. We have two, but the trail is over a mile long..
    The trail crew has a lot on the plate this year and we are a bit overwhelmed by the amount of work we have taken on. The AMTB trail is coming along, but many other things have detoured us from the master plan. Rte.66 is a major favorite trail so any and all help is very welcome!! Thanks!!

DILLIGAF
    I gotta get back down there and check out all the new stuff! Oscar, I will hit you up when I do and maybe we can also stretch some lines. Tarpon in the morning and Markham in the afternoon?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by msimmons View Post
    I gotta get back down there and check out all the new stuff! Oscar, I will hit you up when I do and maybe we can also stretch some lines. Tarpon in the morning and Markham in the afternoon?
    That sounds like a great plan!! Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Rte.66 is OPEN! We trimmed the whole trail out this AM and it is once again open for business... Happy trails!

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009

Markham Park Info

Thank you Oscar and all the TM folks out there!

I went this afternoon, and I must say... The place is riding awesome!

Love the teeter-totter too!!! Lol

rubber side down
    Rte.66 is OPEN! We trimmed the whole trail out this AM and it is once again open for business... Happy trails!
    A huge thank you for the effort. I really wanted to come out with my son to help.....but the wife had other plans for us....lol

Did get out around 3 and rt 66 looks great! The new flow section is also much much better!

mtbr member
    There were 6 other guys besides myself and we had a good time at it. With the power tools it was not too bad. Amazing how fast all that stuff grows back as about a month ago one of the patrollers had cut back 80% of the trail. The skinny bridge at the end has a bypass cut out as the bridge itself is weak and has missing/broken boards. I also head that Pipeline in Area 51 is closed due to structural issues, but I am not sure. I am out of town, so I have no first hand account.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10