Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbob View Post
    Hows are the trails week? Are they rideable
    yeah, inquiring minds want to know.. Coming down Sunday for a week of riding. plan to hit at least one day each at Amelia Earhart park and Virginia Key.

Spent last saturday at Santos fat tire festival

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Trails were awesome as of yesterday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I have a Trek 3700 and was looking to put some new adequate tires on the bike so that I could get out and bike some at Markham park to discover if I was passionate enough about the sport to invest into a "real" mountain bike.

Apparently though one of the local bike shops doesn't think it would be smart to get on the trails with this lower end bike.

So my question is what are some used bike types that I can be looking for that will be adequate to get me on the single track trails at Markham to get into the sport. I obviously would prefer to keep under $350 as I just want a bike to get me out there to see whether it is worth spending $1500 on a quality one.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Rt 66 was open last Thursday; ride it while you can!

Trek 3700, this bike will be fine. Maybe just avoid the harder bigger drops (do the by-passes). Many people forget that the sport was started on hardtails and/or converted clunkers.

While you might enjoy riding a 5,000 FS carbon fiber bike more that your trek, your trek is more than capable of doing 80% of the park. I would take my old rockhopper from the 90's and ride this park.

Sadly, Alex's bike just did a demo at Markham yesterday, I guess you missed it. Keep an eye out for demo's it is a great way to try a bunch of different bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    thanks for the advice

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawhoo View Post

Apparently though one of the local bike shops doesn't think it would be smart to get on the trails with this lower end bike.
    What shop told you this?

You'll be fine with your Trek. Go have fun! Once you start breaking stuff, you'll know it's time to invest in something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    You must be really bored if you have read this entire post.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I am not gonna give out name of shop as he was nice about it... but it was obvious in this choice of words that he was slightly offended that I thought it was possible( after not being serious about mountain kinking prior )that I could go on his favorite trails with a used lower-end Trek and have fun with it. It is a hard sport and not for everyone he reminded me.

rubber side down
    I am not gonna give out name of shop as he was nice about it... but it was obvious in this choice of words that he was slightly offended that I thought it was possible( after not being serious about mountain kinking prior )that I could go on his favorite trails with a used lower-end Trek and have fun with it. It is a hard sport and not for everyone he reminded me.
    Was it a Trek dealer?

My son started biking here in S. Florida with his Trek. I think it the 3500. He did great and we upgraded him when he grew into a larger size bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I have never ridden Markham, I would love to ride this trail with a local with experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbob View Post
    Maybe just avoid the harder bigger drops (do the by-passes). Many people forget that the sport was started on hardtails and/or converted clunkers.
    While I wouldn't ride anything but a FS bike now days, that is totally correct. I started on a converted clunker hardtail. Actually saw a guy kick butt riding Gun Range at Markham on a hardtail today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I concur. I also ride a FS, but I've also ridden Markham plenty of times on a rigid single speed, and was able to clear the whole park on it except one climb that I had to dab (crime scene). And many people do the same. The big difference between that and my full suspension is how hard certain sections can be ridden, not whether they can be ridden. A hard tail is perfectly fine, as long as it's in good working order.

rubber side down
    I was ridding a FS with 100mm rear 120mm front. Just got a new rig...140mm rear 150mm front and such a big difference at Markham....so much more fun

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have a Trek 3700 and was looking to put some new adequate tires on the bike so that I could get out and bike some at Markham park to discover if I was passionate enough about the sport to invest into a "real" mountain bike.

So my question is what are some used bike types that I can be looking for that will be adequate to get me on the single track trails at Markham to get into the sport. I obviously would prefer to keep under $350 as I just want a bike to get me out there to see whether it is worth spending $1500 on a quality one.
    I rode Markham, Santos, Alafia, and Balm on this thing until 2013. That guy was talking out of his ass. I would hit drops, gaps and jumps with it. All on the original fork.
    Name:  download.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  27.6 KB

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Sunday July 31 is Trail maintenance day as the regular day falls on the day of the Rumble race. We need to remove a lot of wood from Gunrange and Rte 66 as we removed Skelator and the Rock Bridge in 66 is rotten to the core....
    Hope to see some of you there or at the Rumble!!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Do you guys have a recommended bike shop?
    Last edited by Greg.; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:49 AM.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    There is a new shop called Rock and Road. 153 Weston Rd, Weston Fl 33326. They are really good peeps and open on Sunday too!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Would love a chance to ride Markham with someone that is experienced and knows the trail system. I live in Miami, anyone interested in riding send me a pm.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415