Markham Park Info

Printable View

  • 10-22-2013
    OscarW
    Markham Park Info
    Update! Sunday 10-27-13 the trails will be closed for the FSC race till late afternoon. Please don't bother coming in if you are not racing. It will be heavily patrolled... On Saturday you can ride the race course only!! Please respect the tape as it is a major PITA to set it all up.
  • 10-22-2013
    MrHat
    on saturday...will all the trails be closed all day except race course? or...will they be out setting up the course during the day and at some point trails will close? also, the do you know what/where the course will be and what skill level will be required to ride it?

    saturday am is my usual ride, but, i'm a novice and wouldn't want to get on a race course that went through some advanced/expert areas that i cant handle...yet
  • 10-22-2013
    OscarW
    Markham Park Info
    To what extent the course will be set up I don't know but it will be rideable by all but the most novice riders. Don't forget you can always get off your bike too..:D
  • 10-22-2013
    MrHat
    lol good point...thx as always :)
  • 10-22-2013
    SandSpur
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    Update! Sunday 10-27-13 the trails will be closed for the FSC race till late afternoon. Please don't bother coming in if you are not racing. It will be heavily patrolled... On Saturday you can ride the race course only!! Please respect the tape as it is a major PITA to set it all up.

    also saturday afternoon, scheduled at 4pm, there will be a short track race related to sundays race...
  • 10-22-2013
    OscarW
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    also saturday afternoon, scheduled at 4pm, there will be a short track race related to sundays race...

    Thanks for that, I almost forgot...Ooooops..
  • 10-24-2013
    TAOS1
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    To what extent the course will be set up I don't know but it will be rideable by all but the most novice riders. Don't forget you can always get off your bike too..:D

    So it looks like my son wants to race on Sunday. He is 12 y/o. We're both stoked! Will we be able to ride the actual course he'll be racing on Saturday? Friday?

    Since this his first, would he enter the "XC-J" (10-14?)...guess so since that is the only one with his age range...

    Should be a fun time!~
  • 10-24-2013
    SandSpur
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post
    So it looks like my son wants to race on Sunday. He is 12 y/o. We're both stoked! Will we be able to ride the actual course he'll be racing on Saturday? Friday?

    Since this his first, would he enter the "XC-J" (10-14?)...guess so since that is the only one with his age range...

    Should be a fun time!~

    The course should be set up by Friday Afternoon.

    You should also be able to register the day of the event if you arent sure on proper category. Go to Gone Riding and give them a phone call, they should be able to answer any questions on category. and also look into putting your son into the Free kids riding clinic put on by one of the pro racers. https://www.facebook.com/bobmccartyracing
  • 10-24-2013
    TAOS1
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    The course should be set up by Friday Afternoon.

    You should also be able to register the day of the event if you arent sure on proper category. Go to Gone Riding and give them a phone call, they should be able to answer any questions on category. and also look into putting your son into the Free kids riding clinic put on by one of the pro racers. https://www.facebook.com/bobmccartyracing

    I appreciate the reply and the information!
  • 10-25-2013
    OscarW
    Thanks for the info Sandspur! I have been in the Keys all week dealing with some personal issues and business… Hopefully I can make it Sunday to help patrol the course..
  • 10-28-2013
    TAOS1
    The race course was really fun, wish it could have stayed up for a while! Good turnout. My son finished the 2 laps and proud he did so! Some sandbaggers in his class
  • 10-28-2013
    SandSpur
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post
    The race course was really fun, wish it could have stayed up for a while! Good turnout. My son finished the 2 laps and proud he did so! Some sandbaggers in his class

    what makes you think theyre sandbaggers?
  • 10-28-2013
    OscarW
    The race was a big success and the trails are still in great shape considering the traffic we had. The race course had to be taken down as per county directive as there were trails in reverse and we have too many people who, sadly, can't follow the rules as… We only had to ask 3 people to leave the trails during the race but they left without issue. One of our patrollers is a BSO officer……;)
  • 10-28-2013
    OscarW
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post
    The race course was really fun, wish it could have stayed up for a while! Good turnout. My son finished the 2 laps and proud he did so! Some sandbaggers in his class

    Glad you and you kid had a good time. Sandbagging is a way for some to feel better than they are and if that makes them happy than so be it. Their fantasy world will collapse soon enough… That kid with all that stuff on his helmet was one annoying dude btw.We had to toss him out of the skills area as he rode the closed teeter. Both Chris and I were ready to spank him after giving us lip about it… I think he won the kids race too..
  • 10-28-2013
    TAOS1
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    Glad you and you kid had a good time. Sandbagging is a way for some to feel better than they are and if that makes them happy than so be it. Their fantasy world will collapse soon enough… That kid with all that stuff on his helmet was one annoying dude btw.We had to toss him out of the skills area as he rode the closed teeter. Both Chris and I were ready to spank him after giving us lip about it… I think he won the kids race too..

    I could tell that many of those super fast kids are annoying...but maybe not all their fault...I saw many annoying adults too...I just hope my son wants to try another race...either way, we both have blast just riding together.....Hope to see (and actually meet you) out there soon!
  • 10-28-2013
    TAOS1
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    what makes you think theyre sandbaggers?

    I may have signed him for the wrong class then....but they did not have many options for the 10-14y/o class. A few of those kids looked like they were older...and sure rode like they were... My bad, not looking to offend, but I'm not the only one that brought it up.
  • 10-28-2013
    SandSpur
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post
    I may have signed him for the wrong class then....but they did not have many options for the 10-14y/o class. A few of those kids looked like they were older...and sure rode like they were... My bad, not looking to offend, but I'm not the only one that brought it up.

    Im not familiar with any of the racers in that class, so you didnt offend. I was just curious why. I know Juniors 10-14 have no ability categories.. so you could have juniors who have almost 10 years on a bicycle if their parents started them early...
  • 10-28-2013
    OscarW
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post
    I could tell that many of those super fast kids are annoying...but maybe not all their fault...I saw many annoying adults too...I just hope my son wants to try another race...either way, we both have blast just riding together.....Hope to see (and actually meet you) out there soon!

    There were some annoying adults too but we as patrollers only dealt with the 3 trail poacher and that was quickly and nicely resolved. I was pleased to see so many kids were out as that is the future of MTB right there. The community is pretty strong and for the most part all went as well as it could go. We should meet up one of these day and go for a ride!!

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post
    I may have signed him for the wrong class then....but they did not have many options for the 10-14y/o class. A few of those kids looked like they were older...and sure rode like they were... My bad, not looking to offend, but I'm not the only one that brought it up.

    The peeps that put up the race did not offer that many choices for the kids "races". With kids it is very hard because there is a big difference between an 8 yr old and a 10 yr old and the list goes on. You'd have to have many categories of age groups to separate them all and keep boys and girls apart as well. That make for a long day. The skills section is a huge success and some kids went and build the bridge feature we couldn't finish in time… We have to take it apart and redo it but never-the-less they have fun and are learning to ride.
  • 10-30-2013
    TAOS1
    Thanks for the info....after looking at the registration form again, I should have entered him in the XC-4 class. Main reason I did not is because they didn't have any age listed...(should have said (all ages). That group only had to do one loop, plus I could have raced with him....which we may do for the next race. I'll just have to call to confirm.
  • 10-30-2013
    HOLLYWOOD33
    Markham Park Info
    Anything happening at Markham this weekend?

    I have a friend coming down from Orlando to ride...

    Thanks...
  • 10-30-2013
    OscarW
    All should be ok this weekend AFAIK but likely will use the WEST GATE by GunRange to get in. There is the Jamaican Jerk festival on November 10 though and the trails will be CLOSED that day… The vendors use the 8th street gate and make a left past the pump track through the main gate to get in…. The only peeps that can enter are the MTB patrollers at that time. NO exceptions!
  • 10-30-2013
    HOLLYWOOD33
    Markham Park Info
    Thanks!!!

    Appreciate the quick reply...
  • 10-31-2013
    MrHat
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    All should be ok this weekend AFAIK but likely will use the WEST GATE by GunRange to get in.

    this weekend 11/2-3 the normal entry will be closed?
  • 10-31-2013
    OscarW
    It is possible, just keep an eye out for the sign the park puts up in the median right out of the main gate..
  • 11-06-2013
    OscarW
    This coming Sunday, the trails at Markham will be CLOSED due to the Jamaican Jerk Fest.
  • 11-06-2013
    Black89
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    This coming Sunday, the trails at Markham will be CLOSED due to the Jamaican Jerk Fest.

    Thanks for the heads up, I got caught in that fiasco last year and it took us an hour just to drive through because it was one way and we had to exit out the side by 8th street I think.
  • 11-06-2013
    OscarW
    You're welcome! It was a nightmare last year and we posted this closure up on FB as well. We will be doing some work in the trails but that is about it. Only patrollers riding a bike will have a shot at getting in with all the people around. The gates will be locked so anyone caught in the trails will put to work..LOL!
  • 11-17-2013
    HOLLYWOOD33
    Markham Park Info
    Anything going on at Markham Thanksgiving weekend?

    I have some friends coming down to ride...

    Thanks!
  • 11-17-2013
    SandSpur
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD33 View Post
    Anything going on at Markham Thanksgiving weekend?

    I have some friends coming down to ride...

    Thanks!

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/59407841100/
  • 11-18-2013
    HOLLYWOOD33
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post

    Thanks, but I don't do the Facebook thing........
  • 11-18-2013
    SandSpur
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD33 View Post
    Thanks, but I don't do the Facebook thing........

    Thats too bad, thats the only accurate place ive found where every event for every trail in south florida is posted..
  • 11-21-2013
    OscarW
    November 29 the Park is closed… I have no idea why..
  • 11-21-2013
    SandSpur
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    November 29 the Park is closed… I have no idea why..

    probably a floating holiday for park employees.. most government jobs give the day after thanksgiving
  • 11-24-2013
    OscarW
    ^Yeah I guess so.

    Today we had a fundraiser race and it was awesome! There were 75 racers, nobody actually was too serious and we all had a great time, good food and beer and raised some $$ for cancer research and the trails!!
  • 11-24-2013
    SandSpur
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    ^Yeah I guess so.

    Today we had a fundraiser race and it was awesome! There were 75 racers, nobody actually was too serious and we all had a great time, good food and beer and raised some $$ for cancer research and the trails!!

    Its too bad they scheduled it on the day of a FSC/CC race... they easily could have doubled the turnout otherwise.
  • 11-25-2013
    OscarW
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    Its too bad they scheduled it on the day of a FSC/CC race... they easily could have doubled the turnout otherwise.

    That was bad planning but they had no choice as they started late in doing so. The Jerk fest was in the way and so this was the only weekend left for them.Next year promises to be better as they are already getting it all planned out so more folks will be there. This was considered a bit of a test run. I hope that they get the same peeps doing the food as that was most excellent!! The upside too was that for us patrollers we had very little to do, if you consider that we needed to call the police for a few very rude people threatening one of our guys and breaking course tape…
  • 11-25-2013
    SandSpur
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    That was bad planning but they had no choice as they started late in doing so. The Jerk fest was in the way and so this was the only weekend left for them.Next year promises to be better as they are already getting it all planned out so more folks will be there. This was considered a bit of a test run. I hope that they get the same peeps doing the food as that was most excellent!! The upside too was that for us patrollers we had very little to do, if you consider that we needed to call the police for a few very rude people threatening one of our guys and breaking course tape…

    Nice, did they get trespassed from ever riding Markham again?
  • 11-25-2013
    OscarW
    No, alas they bailed when we called the cops. Even though they came pretty quickly, they were too late to catch them. At least we have photo's of them.
  • 12-01-2013
    THX-1138
    2 Attachment(s)
    November 30, 2013 - Markham Park: Meteorologist "predicted" 0% precipitation and fairly warm weather (~80 F) but received wet, muddy, 67 F (cool for So. Fl.) and still had a blast! Specialized MTB Bikes were being showcased that day and one guy was taken out on an ambulance for underestimating slippery drops (hope he gets better, looked like a broken collar bone):

    P.S.: Sorry for the double picture, I am unable to remove them after having them uploaded.
  • 12-01-2013
    MrHat
    I was out there too. I wrapped up my ride Just as the weather turned. I planned to stop by the specialized tent and test ride my future stumpy but the rain was coming down in buckets and it didn't seem like a good time to be testing new equipment.
  • 12-01-2013
    THX-1138
    Note to self: I need to ride earlier!

    I have just arrived to the trails when the rain started pouring buckets. I had no other choice but to ride it out since I have taken my bike in worse conditions.
  • 12-02-2013
    OscarW
    To the scumbag that stole the Echo chainsaw near Rt.66/Washing Machine last Sunday, pray to whatever deity you like that we won't find out who you are…. :madmax:
    This was the second chainsaw stolen from the trail crew and we are obviously pissed about this and are rethinking on how to do trail work in the future. We have had generous donations from many great people but this sh^t has to stop. Just thought I'd vent here..
  • 12-02-2013
    THX-1138
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    To the scumbag that stole the Echo chainsaw near Rt.66/Washing Machine last Sunday, pray to whatever deity you like that we won't find out who you are…. :madmax:
    This was the second chainsaw stolen from the trail crew and we are obviously pissed about this and are rethinking on how to do trail work in the future. We have had generous donations from many great people but this sh^t has to stop. Just thought I'd vent here..

    That has to be a very low level life form and desperate/hungry enough to pull something like that. What I find odd is that usually only "registered" bikers ride the trails and it should be very obvious that any biker riding out with a chainsaw out of any of the gates into their car. This was most likely someone or group that is tracking you guys each first Sunday of the month to make this stupid stunt. Sorry for the loss, hopefully there was some biker that saw this activity going on and could help report it to the authorities.
  • 12-02-2013
    FastBandit
    That sucks hope you catch that scum bag. I would set out a trap to catch a theif
  • 12-02-2013
    OscarW
    Karma has a funny way and maybe one day that D-bag will get his "reward"
  • 12-02-2013
    A DuB
    Wow sorry to hear this! Bring a bike cable with you and fasten it to a tree when not in use
  • 12-03-2013
    OscarW
    ^ Thanks and that is exactly what will be happening from here on in. Sadly we live in a society where scumbags get away with crime all too often…
  • 12-03-2013
    OscarW
    Trails will be CLOSED on SUNDAY DEC 9th because of the annual Toy Run. There will be thousands of motorcycles in Markham and very little room to move around.
  • 12-04-2013
    THX-1138
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    Trails will be CLOSED on SUNDAY DEC 9th because of the annual Toy Run. There will be thousands of motorcycles in Markham and very little room to move around.

    Thanks a million Oscar for the heads up! Much appreciated. :thumbsup:
  • 12-05-2013
    OscarW
    You're welcome:D. I heard that up to 40.000 bikes could show up.:eekster: