Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by OffCamber View Post
    Any DJs in the future near the pumptrack. Nothing hug, just some fun tabletops would be great.
    Not that I am aware of but the Free Ride area has some DJ's etc... Sunday Sept 1 we will have our regular TM day and for those who show up we will have food and drinks afterwards at Pavilion #1 near the camping area. There is a levee race to benefit the trails and the BBQ is open to the trail crew too.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Crash test dummy
    I have to say that the trails are great now. The course for the Rumble was great. You guys have made huge improvements in the last couple year.

Thanks for all the hard work

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Can anyone inform on the new fee. I have the year pass and I ride twice every week. But for the last week or so I've had to sit it out due to bent chainrings. But I planned on coming out this up coming week. I would hate to get turned away at the gate.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by o.g status View Post
    Can anyone inform on the new fee. I have the year pass and I ride twice every week. But for the last week or so I've had to sit it out due to bent chainrings. But I planned on coming out this up coming week. I would hate to get turned away at the gate.
    if you have the yearly pass then youve already paid?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah I paid around 13 bucks 4 months ago when I started riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yeah I paid around 13 bucks 4 months ago when I started riding.
    sounds like youve already paid the new fee then

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ok awesome, I was starting to sweat for a second

Quote Originally Posted by FastBandit View Post
    I have to say that the trails are great now. The course for the Rumble was great. You guys have made huge improvements in the last couple year.

Thanks for all the hard work
    You're Welcome! It takes a lot of work from a small dedicated group of volunteers to get all the work done and we can always use more help, specially on TM days.
    Sept 1 is the big day as we need to trim all the trails and we will focus on that work only. There will not be any heavy lifting done AFAIK..

As others have stated already, you're good to go. We have had sporadic gate checking lately, but the county is working on a 7 day a week gate person being there. Enjoy your rides!

mtbr member
    hi OscarW -

i'm a bit of a noob and i'm loving what you guys are doing out at markham. i've been out there most weekends for the past year and its great to see all the repairs and improvements happening out there.

i'm still learning my way around and which trails are suitable for my limited experience and riding skillz. my question is...does anyone have a better/updated map of the trails with their names and difficulty rating? while many of the trails are clearly marked a few are a little harder to identify for a noob. of course once located, its much easier to find my way back the time...the map on the broward county website is i bit hard to decipher.

thanks in advance

A new map will be forthcoming as soon as we have built the Adaptive MTB trails as they need to be on the new map too, (the layout is not 100% set in stone). We are waiting for the weather to cool down some to start that huge project as we will add almost a mile of trail that is accessible for the 3 wheeled bikes.
    This coming Sunday we have a Trail Maintenance day and we will have to do a lot of cutting back which will make the trails more visible as well. If you can lend a hand you will also learn more on where the trails are at too..

mtbr member
    i definitely will come out for some TM. unfortunately, the family already has me booked for the holiday weekend. is there anything scheduled before 10/6? (1st sunday of oct)

Quote Originally Posted by MrHat View Post
    i definitely will come out for some TM. unfortunately, the family already has me booked for the holiday weekend. is there anything scheduled before 10/6? (1st sunday of oct)
    Every first Sunday of each month is TM day and sometimes we do work on non TM days which we may post up on FB if we need more folks. Hope to see you either riding or on a TM day!

We had a very big turnout for our trail cutback day and we got everything cut in 3 hours flat.
    Really unbelievable as we needed about 5 miles of trail done and we did it.
    A huge thanks to all who came out and busted their butts.

Good job! Markham trail repair update..

A bit of an update.
    The last two days have been all about repairing some of the trails and we fixed the last berm in WarmUp loop and today we also repaired the climb into Iguana Ridge. This trail will remain closed for quite a few days as the fill we used was quite wet and it needs time to dry out. The boulders in front of the trail are there to keep peeps out. Some dumb-asses wanted to ride it while we were still working on it....
    Tomorrow the Skills area should reach 90% completion and will be done before the "take a kid mountain biking" event.
    There is a big pile of fill in Middle Earth that will be used to fix Washing Machine and parts of Alligator/Black Snake and Rock Garden. The vegetation in the trails have been cut back about 95% at this moment.
    As a side note: Please respect trail closures as they happen. It is for your safety as well as ours. You're not cool, not special, just a moron and a nuisance to us when you try to ride it. When big equipment is roaring away we can't hear well and an accident can be serious. All the material and equipment we move around, weighs in at several TONS. Spandex is no match....

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. Your work is greatly appreciated by many more then a few knuckleheads who can't figure out on their own that an area is closed for repairs/improvements. With that said, any update on Route 66?

You're welcome. Rte 66 has been cut back 90% and we need to repair the big climb where the conveyor belt used to be. This will likely happen during the Oct TM day when we have more people out working. Right now it is just two people doing the current repair work and our priority is not 66 but other trails like Ted's, Washing Machine, Red-back, Area 51 and Armadillo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    Please respect trail closures as they happen. It is for your safety as well as ours. You're not cool, not special, just a moron and a nuisance to us when you try to ride it. When big equipment is roaring away we can't hear well and an accident can be serious. All the material and equipment we move around, weighs in at several TONS. Spandex is no match....
    You must be the one of the two people I spoke with on friday afternoon fixing the track talking about morons! lol I was the guy on the bench after armadillo with the blur lt. Trails are coming out very nicely thanks a bunch for your hard work!

Crash test dummy
    Yeah I cant wait to see all the reopened trails. I thank you guys again for the work you guys have done

Cool-blue Rhythm

Under Pressure, I remember! Good bike choice as I have a Blur Lt as well.
    The other guy you spoke with was Richard B, he is the guy in charge of (re)building projects.

A bit of an update. The trails are all open except Rte 66... The Warmup loop has been redone in spots and will be part of the AMTB trail system. An entirely new skills area has been built and will open soon, it will sport a teeter-totter as well. The pumptrack is under reconstruction at the moment. The entrance to Iguana Ridge has been rebuilt also. And finally the new AMTB trail has been flagged and will get cut during the Oct 6 TM day.
    For the Oct 6 TM day we need a lot of help as we also will have to cut out the road that parallels Gunrange trail as this too is part of the Adaptive trail and has become a dangerous single track road blocking access for EMS!!

Crash test dummy
    What is an AMTB trail?

AMTB is an Adaptive Mountain Bike trail which is designed for 3 wheeled MTB's. These bikes are like recumbent trikes for trail riding usually used by disabled riders like wounded warriors etc.

Crash test dummy
    That is great to hear. I hope I gets put to good use.
    Semper Fi

Today a new addition to the trails was added as we now have a new skills area. It is for new riders to learn a few things while having some fun too. There are 2 log-overs, a skinny, a teeter-totter, a berm, a bit of a rock garden and a woodsy trail.
    Next weekend the big project starts up and we hope for a good turn-out as we need to make the AMTB trail a reality.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    For this weekend's event, I've noticed it's now 'Bring your Mom' biking day too. Having trouble finding rentals for her. Will there be anything available similar to what they have at CB Smith Park?

Trust me, my wife will not be hitting any of the singletrack except for that cruiser loop around gunrange maybe.

I honestly have no idea about bike rentals other then maybe Alex Pro Bike shop on 84... For the cruiser loop a regular bike is plenty fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I honestly have no idea about bike rentals other then maybe Alex Pro Bike shop on 84... For the cruiser loop a regular bike is plenty fine.
    Thanks OscarW. I'll check it out.
    Still looking for mountains in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by JCsMamba View Post
    Thanks OscarW. I'll check it out.
    You're welcome and it was nice meeting you a few days back. I ended up doing one more lap after you left... It was such a great weather day!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Glad you got that lap in before the storm. It came down sideways a few miles east in Davie. At any rate, you can count on me for Sunday volunteer duty. Is there anything I need to bring?

Markham Park Info

Some work gloves and plenty to drink! CU Sunday!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Some work gloves and plenty to drink! CU Sunday!
    Just found out my brother-in-law wants to try riding at Markham tomorrow. I won't be able to volunteer as it works out. I'll put the 3rd Sunday into my calendar though. Sorry bud.

Markham Park Info

No sweat , have fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JCsMamba View Post
    Just found out my brother-in-law wants to try riding at Markham tomorrow. I won't be able to volunteer as it works out. I'll put the 3rd Sunday into my calendar though. Sorry bud.
    Make sure you yell at the volunteers to move out the way and stop blocking the trails when you ride past them.. they seem to like that
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sandspur View Post
    make sure you yell at the volunteers to move out the way and stop blocking the trails when you ride past them.. They seem to like that
    lmao

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    any clue why the trail "outback-pro extension" has been closed for the last 2 weeks?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by brandontrek1 View Post
    any clue why the trail "outback-pro extension" has been closed for the last 2 weeks?
    posted by oscar yesterday on the facebook page:
    " Because the entrance is a mud hole and the drop is in need of repair. Perhaps tomorrow we may get at it if enough people show up for TM day..."
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

We repaired the mud-hole and the drop in Outback Extension today so when the fill is dry we will open it up. Likely tomorrow if it doesn't rain.... The drop however is a mess as the big dozer got stuck and we had to patch up the berm a bit. Lot's of loose small rocks that could cause a fall...
    We used 20 tons of fill just for this trail.... The new AMTB was started on today and will require a lot more work but it is looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    Make sure you yell at the volunteers to move out the way and stop blocking the trails when you ride past them.. they seem to like that
    ROFL... Actually almost all riders were very positive today. It may have had something to do with a mini-dozer blocking the trail....LOL!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If you every have volunteer days on Friday or Saturday I would be more than happy to lend a hand. Sadly I work on Sundays.

Where will the ATMB trail fit into the map?

Markham Park Info

The new trail is west of Outback parallel to the fire road. It starts at the end of Traverse near Las Olas .

Trail Update

Tomorrow a small group of people will continue to work on the AMTB trail as we almost bit of more the we can chew in the tree cutting department...There are so many trees and saplings to cut, that the original TM crew from last week used up all the chains on the saws. With a fresh batch of peeps and chains, we should make some more progress tomorrow.. The Pumptrack is finished and will open tomorrow, as will a new feature in Area 51 just before Pipeline. It was build this AM.
    Some trimming was done in warm-up and Redback this Am as well and all trails are good to go except Rte 66.. I know it sucks but the trail is soaked and overgrown again. If the rain stops we will prioritize this to open it ASAP.. Enjoy the weekend!!

mtbr member
    thanks Oscar. I'll be out there tomorrow for a ride. are you going to be working out there?

You're welcome! If you heard the noise of saws near the Outback trail that was us! Just 3 of us finished the first half of the new trail and made a dent in the second part. We had to attend the Mountain bike patrol class and CPR/first aid so we worked only in the AM but it is looking good!

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Route 66 Update!

For those of you that have asked about Rte.66 opening up, this coming Sunday we will have a cutback event so that we can reopen Rte.66. We will meet at the trailhead at 8:15. The more people we get to help out, the faster the trail will open up. The rainy season has wreaked havoc in this trail and there is a lot of grass, brush and a few downed trees to deal with. If you like to lend a hand, please bring a weed-eater if you have one. We have two, but the trail is over a mile long..
    The trail crew has a lot on the plate this year and we are a bit overwhelmed by the amount of work we have taken on. The AMTB trail is coming along, but many other things have detoured us from the master plan. Rte.66 is a major favorite trail so any and all help is very welcome!! Thanks!!

DILLIGAF
    I gotta get back down there and check out all the new stuff! Oscar, I will hit you up when I do and maybe we can also stretch some lines. Tarpon in the morning and Markham in the afternoon?

Quote Originally Posted by msimmons View Post
    I gotta get back down there and check out all the new stuff! Oscar, I will hit you up when I do and maybe we can also stretch some lines. Tarpon in the morning and Markham in the afternoon?
    That sounds like a great plan!! Thanks!!!

Rte.66 is OPEN! We trimmed the whole trail out this AM and it is once again open for business... Happy trails!

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009

Markham Park Info

Thank you Oscar and all the TM folks out there!

I went this afternoon, and I must say... The place is riding awesome!

Love the teeter-totter too!!! Lol

rubber side down
    Rte.66 is OPEN! We trimmed the whole trail out this AM and it is once again open for business... Happy trails!
    A huge thank you for the effort. I really wanted to come out with my son to help.....but the wife had other plans for us....lol

Did get out around 3 and rt 66 looks great! The new flow section is also much much better!
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    You must be really bored if you have read this entire post.

There were 6 other guys besides myself and we had a good time at it. With the power tools it was not too bad. Amazing how fast all that stuff grows back as about a month ago one of the patrollers had cut back 80% of the trail. The skinny bridge at the end has a bypass cut out as the bridge itself is weak and has missing/broken boards. I also head that Pipeline in Area 51 is closed due to structural issues, but I am not sure. I am out of town, so I have no first hand account.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast