mtbr member

Looking for a tour guide at Santos this Saturday morning.....any volunteers???

Hi, I'm Jason and reside the Tampa area. With the cooler weather making it's way down, I figured Saturday would be a good day to make the trek up to Santos to give it a whirl. I'm not having much luck finding someone from my area to tag along with so...........

Is there anyone out there that is willing to play tour guide for a few hours? I'm an medium to advanced intermediate rider that will ride all blues and hopefully my share of the red trails. However, since I've never been there, I don't think it's wise tackling the trails alone for the very first time. I'm really excited to check out this place......I ride Alafia and Boyette all the time so I'm dying to try out a new venue.

I was thinking something like 9am or so? Maybe slightly earlier/later depending on others arrangements.

Let me know.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

not this time

Cant go that far this weekend, maybe next. I have been there before, but don't know the trails real well. I do live near tampa though, so car pool is a possibility.

mtbr member
    Absolutely, I'll write down your screenname and get with you because car pooling sounds like a plan to me.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Can you make the trip on Friday? I was planing to go Friday in the AM. Santos is my "Home" trail as I live about an hr north of there and have been riding there since early May.

If not, maybe some other time if you want to send me a PM next time you go.

mtbr member
    Darn, I wish I could make it Friday but I have to work an OT shift..............most Fridays I have off of work so maybe we can make it another time?

I'm bummed.........oh well, I can always ride locally.

Zero Miles from Myself
    No problem Scub, my day off is Friday, and now that the temps have started to cool it will be a weekly trip for me. Maybe next week then.

I have been riding around my house lately, I live in a very rural and sandy area. most roads are dirt and many have the infamous "No Trespassing" signs. I got chased by a bull dog 2 weeks ago and have since kinda lost interest in riding locally.

mtbr member

Second that request...

I have friend up from Jamaica to do some riding and he has always wanted to do santos. Anyone game this Sunday ??

We'll do Alafia and Boyette on Saturday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    im going to santos this friday and saturday i have only been their once tho

mtbr member

I was there yesterday.....

Went up there with a buddy of mine that flew up from Jamaica last week. He had read so much about Santos that he asked if we could go. To be honest with you, if it was not for the Freeride area, it would have been a disappointment.

We rode Alafia and Boyette the 2 days before and we both prefer it to Santos' Blue Trails. Santos trails are flat and once you get in the right gear and groove, it can be a lot of fun. Alafia and Boyette flows so nicely, fast yet technical. The Tampa trails are a lot more fun and challenging.

If you have not yet ridden Boyette and Alafia, I would give it a go first.

mtbr member
    YaMon,

I couldn't agree more with you. I went last Saturday and was a bit let down by the difficulty level of the blues. I understand, go fast and they are fun. No doubting that but I felt there was a huge between the blues and reds at Santos.

Alafia and Boyette provide exactly that. Bypassing those for Santos would be an injustice unless as you stated, you're a freerider.
    2006 IBEX Trophy Pro
    2007 IBEX Asta Expert SE

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Santos isn't about the blue trails. They just get you to and from the good stuff. There are also alot of trails out there that you will never ride again once you figure out a good route.

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    Santos isn't about the blue trails. They just get you to and from the good stuff. There are also alot of trails out there that you will never ride again once you figure out a good route.
    Yamon, sorry you were dissapointed, but saying that Santos was dissapointing because of the blues is like saying Alafia is boring because of the River Loop or Rock Garden trail. You can't say that either of them define the either Santos or Alafia. To me both trails are awesome, but I only go to Santos for the Reds and Alafia for the black D trails (and, okay, for North Creek trail).
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

sorry I missed it Wayne

this weekend sucked, i was still laid up from falling Wednesday night that I couldn't do crap. I wish I went to Santos with you guys, I think that place is great fun. It is tough, with the flow of the trails there, to get a good route. if you do it the wrong way, it feels disjointed. the first time I went there I had a crappy time and thought the place was overrated, the next 2 times though, i had a great time. the blue stuff is all about speed to me, bunny is one of my favorite trails in the correct directon, I shite you not. Did i mention falling wed night? I ate crap bunnyhopping a 5 foot gap to a 2 foot wall drop, I hung my back wheel on the wall and rode it down hard. It is in the middle of my local park, and I screwed myself up in front of about 6 12 year olds. I did get back up and go do it again though, then I limped home.

mtbr member
    I know the feeling. When visiting Santos, I was on Twister riding at a fairly good clip when I entered a normally easy area that consisted of two rather good sized roots spaced about 2.5 ft. apart. I floated over the first one, then all my weight shifted forward as my rear tire rolled over the first obstacle........all that weight going forward, I hit that second root and the bike stopped right NOW. I was moving at a decent clip 12mph or so, endoed over the handlebars and literally landed on my helmet as it dug into the dirt. I laid there in agony for a while to get a breather......then I realized the mosquitoes were about to carry me away. Problem is, this is twice that I"ve landed on my bite valve which ends up bruising my ribs.........OUCH !! Hurts to sleep right now.

I agree, I really liked Santos and loved it after riding the Vortex. I will certainly come back again and again when time/weather permit. However, I just thought it was MILES ahead of every other trail system in Florida (from what I've read, preconceived ideas, etc) so only in that respect was it a slight letdown. I wish it was in my backyard !!
    2006 IBEX Trophy Pro
    2007 IBEX Asta Expert SE

Weekend Warrior
    eclark, let me know when you go to santos, I'd like to join you if you don't mind.

Yeah, bunnyhop is great, however I always manage to do it uphill....

There are a few cool trails, however I'm afraid of the red trails as I'm still fighting with my clipless pedals sometimes and i'm still recovering from a bad fall a few weeks ago. The red and greens already turned black and blue, but should be gone by this weekend...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I am definitely riding sunday, just don't know where at this point. I have to make a long drive on Sat for a party with my wife, so I don't want to go all the way to Santos. I might ghead to Carter/Lloyce this Sunday for a nice change. I have never been there.

Members who have read this thread: 0