mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Looking for technical trails near I-75

Will be roadtripping to Inverness, Florida next week and looking for places to ride to break up the drive. I have done some searching and found the Santos trails in Ocala, so that's one option.

I'll be coming down I-75 through Chattanooga, Georgia, and North Florida and am looking for trails close to the Interstate. I'd prefer challenging, but anything is good.

Thanks!
    11 Flint
    08 Monocog Flight
    06 X-Caliber
    96 F400 (SS townie)

08 Schwinn Sierra TDM (gravel tandem)

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I think Dauset in GA is relatively close to the interestate, so is Arrowhead in Macon. San Felasco is close, it's in Alachua, FL. Then obviously Santos but that's so close to Inverness I don't know how well it will work to break up the drive.

Jackalope Hunter
    I just started to type Razorback... (Walks away hitting self in head...)

Yeah, I don't know about breaking up the drive, but Santos is your best bet... It's as tech as you want it to be...
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Acme, thanks for tips! I googled them and both Dauset and Arrowhead look like good options to break up the drive.

Jay, sorry to hear that Razorback is closed, I had heard they were tech trails. Santos is close to Inverness, so it will be a great place to ride while I'm there.
    11 Flint
    08 Monocog Flight
    06 X-Caliber
    96 F400 (SS townie)

Having a nice day!
    If going through Chattanooga, be sure to hit Raccoon Mountain. Great trail with lots-o-rocks you can do fun stuff off of. Snake Creek Gap near Dalton, GA is supposedly one of the more technical trail around as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Racoon Mtn in Chatt. is just off I-24 which you'll be able to get on as you head through town, easy access probably 12-15 minutes out of your way.

Chilhowie (spelling?) is near Cleveland TN, probably 20-30 minutes off of 75 at exit 20, follow signs to Ocoee River, continue up hwy 64 to Ocoee whitewater center probably another 15-20 min past Chilhowie.

Knoxville probably has some trails near the rd.

http://www.sorbachattanooga.org/trails/trails.php

Go make a difference
    Dauset's not really technical, it's a nice fast stroll through the woods. Here's what I'd recommend from Knoxville to the FL line:

Knoxville: Haw Ridge Park. Off of Pellisippi Pkwy
    Cleveland: Tanasi and Chilhowee (already mentioned) are both great options.
    Chattanooga: Raccoon Mtn was mentioned already
    Dalton: Snake Creek Gap. Also Windy Gap, and Fort Mtn State Park
    Atlanta: right off the I-75 at I-285 is Sope Creek at the Chattahoochee National Rec Area.
    Jackson: Dauset was mentioned
    Macon: I'd pass on these trails, wait, I actually DO pass on these trails! My folks live there and I dread the riding b/c the trails are so short and way to tight and twisty -- like the whole trail is tight and twisty. Ride 'em if ya like, but there are better options IMO.

The FL trails mentioned are better options IMO than stopping in Macon.

Have a great trip!
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Snake Creek Gap, Pinhotti trail is right off the interstate in North Georgia, Dalton. Big rocks and good views.

Raccoon Mtn. isn't far out of the way, and I would highly recomend that one for flow / rocks mix.

Raccoon:

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Thanks!

Peter, k2, t-jib, LoneStar,
    Did some googling of your suggestions and it looks like you guys have some great trails there.

I forgot that I was coming down I-24 to Chattanooga, so Raccoon Mt. looks good, as does Snake Creek Gap in Dalton.

And of course, Santos, when I'm in FLA.

I'll be on the road from the 13th to the 18th, so if you see a big guy on a blue Monocog, say howdy!
    11 Flint
    08 Monocog Flight
    06 X-Caliber
    96 F400 (SS townie)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Raccoon Mtn. isn't far out of the way, and I would highly recomend that one for flow / rocks mix.
    Ok with that pic, I gotta try it !!!!!

Atlanta: right off the I-75 at I-285 is Sope Creek at the Chattahoochee National Rec Area.
    Sope creek will no longer be a technical trail once the new routes are done. All the old rock gardens and granite faces will be gone. (Even the stair step creek rock climb)
    This is very sad, there is nothing like it near ATL except Conyers (45min from downtown) and the Snake > (a stretch for near.) Also, Rich Mountain (2 hours.)
    No sugar coating here.
    That said, it IS a National Recreation Area governed by the National Park Service and with all the closings years ago in Atlanta to mountain bikes, we are lucky it still exist thanks to Sorba and lately IMBA and others hard work.....but mostly Charles.
    The old eroded non-maintain-able farm roads will be replaced with state of the art graded trails. It will be fun for many who like smooth and relatively easier trails, similar to Blankets but much closer.
    Last edited by ghawk; 04-23-2009 at 04:55 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0