mtbr member

Lets start the freeride fire at SWAMP

It's been tossed around and whispered about for a while now. Rumors will start spreading about a new freeride trail at alafia or something like that. This has been going on for as long as I've lived in FL.
    If you are willing to put in the effort to help make these trails right, then lets get some voices. Give a reply on here, or a shout and reply on the SWAMP club forums.

Lets hear it
    CWG
    Floridas Other Crazy White Guy....http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php

Jackalope Hunter
    I brought this up a ways back after hearing a rumour and got a bunch of flack from self righteous XC folks. Something to the effect of "Art would never allow that..."

I think it would be great, there are plenty of riders that would support it.

The shift at Alafia seems to be towards sanitizing black trails these days, not the other way around. Call me crazy.

Don't get me wrong I love the trails there, but I think some of the difficulty has been lowered unnecessarily in the name of making them "more sustainable" Just my .02, no flaming please.
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

commitment

I will commit to one monthly workday for Alafia non-sanitized trails. We worked on gatorback before, and then no one took charge and it is now closed. Anyone who is willing to commit to getting it opened and working on other harder trails should man up here, someone can get a list of everyone who is committed to the work and coordinate it with Art. As of right now, no one shows interest in Gatorback, why would SWAMP and Art consider a freeride area when the existing expert trails do not get the love they need. I am in, just tell me when and where to go.

yeah, uh............bikes
    It's gonna be hard to get a freeride trail on State Park property. The liability issue would be a big hurdle, although it can be done (santos, although not technically a state park, just unused state land). If the club has a good connection to the ranger that would be a big help, but it's not easy to shake the "freeride, punk kids who just wanna get rad and tear up nice clean trails" image.

Also, I wouldn't call the work on the black diamond trails "sanitizing." I've heard it was more of a step towards "sustainability". While the steeps were very technical and tons of fun, they just weren't sustainable over the long term (years) and the work on them was to create a more sustainable trail. ie. so it would be closed all the time.

my .02
    btw, I'd love to have another freeride area besides Santos, and a bit closer too.

Cannondale Snob
    Ah, and it turns out that some of the "sanitizing" is not intended to be permanent. It was done for the FTF and should revert to it's previous level of difficulty afterwards. They did this to prevent major bottlenecks on certain portions of the trails. So I've heard....
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

mtbr member
    I wouldn't expect a recreation of the TOE, but I'd be happy with a decent pump track and a jump line or two.

Hard as nails
    Oh yeah, I would certainly help to create and maintain Freeride trails if we were so lucky to get approval for such a thing
    Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth.
    Henry David Thoreau

Weekend Warrior
    I'd go and help out maybe once a month or so, I already got my membership filled out, will turn it in next time I'm out there.

mtbr member
    Why does everyone keep saying alafia
    As I understand it, Boyette has lots of room. Some moonscape sized drops near where a new trail is going in and it's a county park. Plus Garry brought up the idea. The hardest part of getting these trails started would be getting through all the red tape.

yeah, uh............bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by carnage
    Why does everyone keep saying alafia
    As I understand it, Boyette has lots of room. Some moonscape sized drops near where a new trail is going in and it's a county park. Plus Garry brought up the idea. The hardest part of getting these trails started would be getting through all the red tape.
    Read your own post. you said Alafia.....

mtbr member
    I said there have been rumors about a freeride area at Alafia. Not that that would be the logical place to put them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I stopped at the new BMZ track by Boyette last weekend, they were working on it, but looks like they have a chunk to do. It would be nice if they could build some wood in there. I am not even looking for huge TOEesque stunts, just some banked boardwalks with a jump option close to the ground would be nice to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Free Ride??

No, I did not suggest it. I did mention that if someone wanted to pursue it they should go through the channels. Meanwhile!!

I was contacted today by the land managers for Balm-Boyette Nature Preserve about a launch ramp that was built on the property without permission. This caught me by surprise and could have compromised the understanding and relationship that SWAMP has built over the years with the land managers as they thought that it was us who built it.
    Since I will be busy the next few days I am hoping that my e-mail response back to them will smooth things over as they are QUITE put off that this structure was built without permission and is a danger to those who use it. Read into this LIABILITY!

Now I do not know if anyone on this board had anything to do with it or not, and am not accusing anyone because I do not know if anyone here did it, but I just need to put the information out there any way that I can to NOT DO ANYTHING LIKE THIS because the property DOES NOT BELONG TO US, therefore we play by their rules and now I am having to PLAY DAMAGE CONTROL with the land managers so that we can continue to enhance and improve the trails that we do have and are building without them standing over our shoulders! It has been a long hard road to get to this point of being able to have a pretty much hands off land manager with what we have out there. I do not want to lose that. So if any of you know who did this please tell them, in no uncertain to terms, to cease and desist. From this point I will do everything I can to assure the land managers that we will do everything we can to not have this on this property and not ruin what we have.
    Thank you for your cooperation.

Garry Rosseter
    SWAMP Trail Maintenance; Balm-Boyette

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Garry, that is some BS! Anyone caught building should be banned or something, that is something that can risk a whole trail system. Anyone building, please find somewhere else to do it, and anyone witnessing it, please notify someone. I love jumps as much as anyone, but building unauthorized stunts on public land is just wrong, there is too much risk of screwing it up for everyone.

Members who have read this thread: 0