Beemer2
    Dec 2005

Hiawassee trails?

My wife and I have rented a cabin in Hiawassee, Ga for a week and plan to take our mountain bikes with us. Unicoi-Helen trail seems moderate enough for us to ride, can someone tell me of any other easy trails in the area please? Thank you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The Jackrabbit Trail is fun and the Jackrabbit Mountain Bike and Hiking Trail is excellent as well. I know they sound the same but they are different, and only a mile or so apart. Both are in the same area just across the state line from Hiawassee on your left.

Jackrabbit Trail is a hiking and biking trail that is somewhat steep and only 2-3 miles. It is challenging though.

Jackrabbit Mountain Bike and Hiking Trail is 3-7 miles and growing as they are still cutting it. It will be a series of connected loops up to 15 miles when finished. Some of it is steep and some is flat. VERY FUN though.

Heading north from Hiawassee on NC 175 towards Hayesville, cross the state line and go a mile or so. Jackrabbit Mountain will be on your left with a big sign on NC 1155. That road leads to both trails. First is the Mountain Bike and Hiking Trail marked with a sign on your left. A little further down is the Jackrabbit Trail on the right, just before the boat launch. There is a parking lot and a bathroom there.

I took my family up to Lake Chatuge in July and lugged my bike along, unsure of what i would find. They had a hard time keeping me off the trails.

PM me if you need links or other info.
    mike

Members who have read this thread: 0