The guy with 5 kids

New question here. Help! Best Trail System near Pigeon Forge ??

Heading that way first part of Jan. any recommendations on restaurants as well as we will be staying a few nights.. Thanks dave:

I bike long tyme.
    I'm gonna jump on board so I can see what you find out. I play music at Dollywood in the summer and have often thought about talking the Chumbie with me to kill some down time.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

VPI
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You will be less than 2 hours from Tsali in NC. There is good riding just outside of Knoxville also Hawridge. It has been a while since I lived in the area so no restraunt recomendations.

Have a good time.

mtbr member
    Haw Ridge will be a good bet, but it's 50+ miles away

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...UTF8&z=10&om=1

Norris is another option if you like longer climbs but not too much technical stuff.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...UTF8&z=10&om=1

Not sure about things in N.C., but I think it will be farther away than those two.
    "Only silence is your true origin."

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The closest trail will be at panther creek state park,(near Morristown). The next closest options are all in and around Knoxville. Haw ridge park, 95% singletrack 8 ish mile outer loop with a spider web of trails inside the loop. Norris watershed, 90% doube track up or down not technical at all. I.C. King park 8 total miles all single track,(5 min. from UT campus). Tsali NC, N.O.C., and Fontanna village are approx. 2hr. drive, but good riding also. Google Tennessee mtn bike rides and link to Tom Dunnigans site for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla
    I.C. King park 8 total miles all single track,(5 min. from UT campus).
    I.C.King is decent - I live a lil south of there, but, ummmmm ...... ya might wanna bring a riding partner or two, and don't linger in the parking lot (and maybe leave the lycra home and wear baggies). It has been informally called ...............

........ (drum roll please) ............

.........I See A Queen Park

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Greenbrier area in GSMNP ...as well as...

Guys

Greenbrier area in Great Smokey Mountain National Park.

It is not single track but is still a great place to ride w minimal traffic. Incredible scenery!

If you go the back routes it is 30 mins or less from PF. Go to the Greenbrier Entrance to the Great Smokey Mountain National Park off Hwy 321. Or go to Gatlinburg from PF and turn left at Y…go about 3-5 miles and look on right….better yet do the Google map.

Road goes about one mile as asphalt then a rough gravel road past the old Ranger Station. IMO a really neat place to ride. Hiking trails are off limits but there is about 8 miles of gravel road if you go out and back.

About 2.5 miles into park road forks. To the left you climb up toward the Ramsey Creek trailhead …it is about 1.5 miles and is a grind along a gorgeous creek. Last year at this time a saw a bear w her two cubs on this road at 2nd bridge.

I have been riding here for more than a decade on MTN Bike. My Dad has retired about one mile form this entrance to the park. I actually ride from his place to Greenbrier. Over the years I have seen more and more Mtn bikers and runners in this area. Not that many folks know about it. Sometimes auto traffic is moderate….but if you go earlier or at night nor much traffic at all. Some times no traffic on route to Ramsey Cascades.

Just got a Jet Lite Blast and will be riding my Blur LT there last week of December in early AM and later PM.

There is also a rough one way (for autos) gravel road near Cosby Campground in Smokeys that offers some good riding….and it goes many miles…. 20 plus…..steep and v rough at times… eventually to Cataloochee but be careful back there and….maybe…. talk w a ranger before you go… he will try to talk you out of it… This is about 65 mins from PF.

Also check out the Heintooga Round bottom road in Cherokee….One way to autos…. Probably now closed to vehicles but many mtn bikers climb up this very twisting road… couple of thousand feet elevation gain…and then race bx to bottom… It is a blast! And can be rather challenging. About 1.25 hour from PF….pending traffic over Newfound Gap.

GSM national park web site can help you find these places or just keep searching web and you will find more info on these roads.

Other areas as well (Rich Mtn Road and Parsons Road in Cades Cove) but these are my favorites ...

Happy Trails!

Prayer

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Climb n Bomb

East Tennessee mountain bike rides: http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/mtnbike/

Great Smoky Mountains National Park
    Rich Mountain/ Parson Branch variations on Cades Cove
    Foothills Parkway Townsend/Wear Cove, to be closed
    Mt Sterling/Cataloochee eastern edge of the Park and Max Patch/Harmon Den
    Tsali "take a number" ... ok, so it's in North Carolina (access fee).

Food:
    If you take the kids to Dollywood go to Mrs. Lillian’s Chicken… kids will love it and food is pretty good…we have had season past sev years…they may be closed at end of year…yep close on dec 31st

Chops is a really good meal in Five Oaks outlet mall area…ate there w the wife and three kids last month and it was reasonable and very tasty!

A drive but a great experience and very good simple food is Carvers Apple Barn in Newport area…will take you 45 mins the back route….but you go by Greenbriar and near Cosby trailheads

Merry Christmas!

Prayer

Members who have read this thread: 0