Ride till it hurts!

Going to Oak Mtn tom.!!!

Really been looking forward to this trip for a while I learned to ride in Houston TX along the bayous and now riding in the sandy flats of the panhandle of FL. My wife is going there for business and I get to tag along and ride for 2 days. Not the entire 2 days but good bits of time (much more than I am use to riding ) I guess you could say my bike handling skills are intermediate but my fitness level has dropped in the last couple of months. That aspect isnt gonna slow me down though, just mean more breaks along the ride. Not a bad thing really, more time to enjoy nature. I am gonna get the directions to the trail head from the trail reviews section but would like some tips from regulars who go there. I dont expect to see anyone there being that it is the middle of the week. I also dont mind riding alone, actually prefer it. Thanks in advance guys!

banned
    You really need to start at the entrance closest to the paddle boats. Go down the main road until you can turn right and go up the hill to where the paddle boats are at. Park in that parking lot and ride down the hill to the entrance to the trail that you passed on the way up (it was to your left, look for the sign). That is a good part of the trail for an intermediate rider. A lot of really good singletrack, no leg burning climbs, down to the fireroad. Take a right and go to the end of the fireroad to the connector trail on the left. Damn good downhill with a pretty technical area of rock garden then across a small bridge to even more rocks. If you make it to the north trailhead, you have gone 7 miles. You can turn and go back the way you came for a round trip total of 14 miles or you can turn right to a real leg burner of a climb that is loose, rocky, and generally pretty miserable. Follow the trail through a sandy area that saps all of your strength and then, Blood Rock, (you may want to walk this section as there is a reason for it's name). Keep going through more prime singletrack and then you come to another pretty steep climb, Johnsons Mtn. If you can do the loop you will have ridden 17 miles and be right back where you started. I would not recommend riding Blood Rock alone as it appears to be the first time you have ridden OM. No one hardly is there during the week and I don't want you to get hurt. When you see BR you'll understand! Have a good ride (Again I repeat, DO NOT RIDE BLOOD ROCK ALONE. At least no the first time)

Paulding SORBA Secretary
    Bring back lots of pics!

Oak Mountain is a blast! If you have the time try to ride O.M. both directions, the drainage ditches you'll climb up in the clock wise direction are a hoot descending in the CCW direction. IMHO the entire trail has more flow in the CCW direction, just my .02 worth.

Have fun!
    Scott Martin - VP - Trail Director
    Paulding SORBA
    www.pauldingsorba.org

Ride till it hurts!
    Just got back and all i could say is wow. Time only permitted a few hours of riding, but was enough to wow me!! So nice to ride on dirt instead of sand. Took me back to memories of riding in Texas. I think I am going to start making this a monthly trip up there. Its only 4 hours from where I am at, but well worth the drive. Ill post some pics later tonight

Members who have read this thread: 0