mtbr member

Gatorback closed permantently :mad:

Apparently some genius broke the tape on the bridge, rode in and promptly broke his arm. So Gatorback is now closed, the is now a fine if you even walk it and you will get banned from the park if you are busted riding it. Thanks genius person.

Check the SWAMP club forum for confirmation if you need it.
    Floridas Other Crazy White Guy....http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php

Where is my mind?
    Do you have a link? I can't find the annoucement.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

mtbr member
    2006 IBEX Trophy Pro
    2007 IBEX Asta Expert SE

yeah, uh............bikes
    What was the person's name and address. This fine specimen of "what not to do" should be publicly outed and made an example. This has been a bad year for trails.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

thats bad news

Man that sucks bigtime. I was just talking about that trail the other day, saying they needed to get it open. I wonder what tool did it? Anyone know if it was a regular or tourist?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFish
    This has been a bad year for trails.....
    We have lost the TOE and Riddick but SWAMP has opened several new trails at Boyette and done some great reroutes at Alafia and a lot more trails are on their way for 08, so it's not all bad.
    Floridas Other Crazy White Guy....http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php

Where is my mind?
    Does anyone know if SWAMP will make an official announcement on their website or are they still evaluating the situation? Closing gatorback would really suck since that is one of the main reasons for me to drive all the way out there. I wish someone from SWAMP would at least chime in to at least confirm or advise on the situation.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

xpost sort of

there is another current post on this site about alafia where someone asked about gatorback and said it was open last week when they were there. i guess someone went in and opened it up without authorization, then some poor schmuck went in and got hurt. i would x post, but it is too much work. looks like the guy who got hurt may be a victim. i wish i saw the open bridge, i would have hit it too. i love that trail, its my fav in the park.

on a good note, i found out that carter road is only 10 minutes farther from my house than alafia, and I really like ridgerider maintained trails. if gatorback never reopens, it will just be like 90% of the time anyway, since it never opens.

Can't be a victim if you're trying to ride a "double black diamond" trail.

One thing that I still don't understand is telling the rangers that you were hurt?

If you can get out of the trail on your own, why not drive your dumb a$$ to the hospital and get fixed? Under no circumstances should you drive to the park office and let them know that you hurt yourself on public lands. (I've been in that situation and kept my mouth shut)

there is a similar problem down at teh S. FL parks (Markham, Oleta). Pansies crying to the park office, sheds a bad light on the dangers of mtbing.

Where is my mind?

One thing that I still don't understand is telling the rangers that you were hurt?

If you can get out of the trail on your own, why not drive your dumb a$$ to the hospital and get fixed? Under no circumstances should you drive to the park office and let them know that you hurt yourself on public lands. (I've been in that situation and kept my mouth shut)

there is a similar problem down at teh S. FL parks (Markham, Oleta). Pansies crying to the park office, sheds a bad light on the dangers of mtbing.
    If that's true, then it's an odd coincidence. All the "A" trails are being closed down or affected. Santos and Loyce Harp seem be be safe for now (because there is no admission fee), that is until some activist lobbies to charge to use these parks or if there is a change in the Recreational Use Statute.
    Call me paranoid, but I'd keep my eyes and ears open.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

I never understood that.... or why trails would get closed down for this. For example, there must be thousands of children (and adults probably) injuring themselves on city park swings/monkey bars/etc all over the country every year but nobody ever closes those down do they?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am sorry about that guys. There was no tape up on Saturday afternoon because I would have stayed off of it. On Thursday you could see the tape on the ground and someone had obviously gone right through it. We couldnt figure out why they would break the tape instead of going under or over. Did the person get hurt on Thursday? There were only a few people there that day and I would be able to describe any of them. Why do they close the trails because of one fool not obeying the sign? Again, that sucks and I am sorry. Greg

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by tech44
    I never understood that.... or why trails would get closed down for this. For example, there must be thousands of children (and adults probably) injuring themselves on city park swings/monkey bars/etc all over the country every year but nobody ever closes those down do they?
    I've just started looking into this and recently someone pointed me in the right direction. It seems that there is a Recreational Use Statute that varies from state to state. In FL if the owner of private property gives permission to use the property for recreational use, MTB, water skiing etc., without charging admission they are not held liable for any injury or death. Liability, in this case is relegated to the injured user of the park or property. Liability is subject to the owner if they charge for its use or if they maliciously make it dangerous to use. I'm not sure what's the statute for public property(haven't looked that far). I've only recently found this information and I'm not a lawyer, so if you want investigate further (and I suggest you do) here are a couple of places to start.

http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/recreate/fl_rec.htm
    http://www.imba.com/resources/trail_...y.html#private

mtbjk
    Erik yes you are right some poor smuck from miami area if I recall correctly there were 3 or 4 of them and I saw the guy with the broken wrist. did not talk to them but a person that was in my group saw that group earlier in the morning and they were looking for the good trails to ride. After rideing Rcoaster and Mscape and back to Ncreek non stop we took a brake at the end of Ncreek. After that we headed up towards the beginning of bridges and started are way through when low and behold Gback appeard open no banner and nothing blocking the bridge, well needless to say you no what happened . After rideing bridges and franks loop headed back to the parking lot and met another freind and went and rode rcoaster and mscape again with ncreek and bridges to follow it all up and when we got back to the parking lot the guy with the broken wrist was in the back of a pickup sitting and holding ice on the wrist. Yep he was not a local and was his first time there and he shouldnot have been on Gback but the trail was clearly not closed when I passed by but saw numerous riders heading into and out of Gback. My beleif is if the banner was down and they did not want the trail open they should have had it blocked better as they did for almost a year and a half when they had all the branches and the wood all over the bridge heading in and on the first part of the trail. I dont think it was closed properly by only having a banner across the trail head. to easy to be taken down by anyone and now you see what has happened . To bad that it is closed so often and now maybe wont be open for a long time. to many inexperienced riders have gotten hurt on that trail. and now we may loose one of the best trails in the whole state. it is clearly a double black diamond trail and you need to respect it and stay the hell off of it if you dont have the experiance. Oh and it was stated closed at the ranger station upon entry into the park.

Ride On
    Jan R
    Ride till you are spent then ride some more

Where is my mind?

Time for a breather

Talk about spinning a yarn. I sent an email to someone at SWAMP regarding this. There is no word regarding permanent closure of the Gatorback trail. The reason it is being closed is because of lack of maintenance. Apparently not enough people who like to ride the trail are willing to pitch in to clean up the trail. I am told that the trail is hard enough to maintain, the recent rain and growth make this a high maintenance trail. In this regard I am as guilty as everyone in this thread for the closure. Alafia is a bit of a drive for me but I'll have to look into helping out if I want to keep riding this trail.

I'm in Gainesville, but someone local should step up to try to organize a trail maintenance crew. Apparently, SWAMP is trying to reach out to people outside the club, because most of the members who participate in the maintenance do not ride Gatorback.

mtbr member

Figures it was someone from Miami....

Anyone having access to the Club Mud Forum should post about this incident. They need to respect our trails. I have been to Oleta in Miami and they post the trails that are closed at the gate when you enter, just like ours.

Can't help thinking that they ride Markham and think they are experts....till they get up here.

Anyways, hope it blows over soon without any serious repercussions with the Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan R
    some poor smuck from miami area if I recall correctly there were 3 or 4 of them and I saw the guy with the broken wrist.
    Sounds about right.......south florida sue-happy pansies. I get the feeling that the majority of folks I see at Markham park are there for the wrong reasons.

And good god, all this over a broken wrist, what a pu$$. Cyclopod, I hope you're right, Gatorback was too good to close forever.

YaMon, Club Mud deals with the same stuff. I heard something about a kid breaking a finger and causing problems, and kids going way out of their skill levels and causing jumps to be bulldozed. It's all quite ridiculous.

Where is my mind?
    And good god, all this over a broken wrist, what a pu$$. Cyclopod, I hope you're right, Gatorback was too good to close forever.

I was waiting for permission to post this, but I think it's appropriate to post this before things get out of hand. I got this reply earlier tonight.

Hi Ernie,
    The only official news on Gatorback at this point is that it's closed. I've never heard anything about it being closed down permanently, so that's a bad rumor. Gatorback may be a fun trail but it is a bear to maintain to keep it relatively safe. We get enough workers on our workdays to build and maintain the other trails at Alafia. Nobody that comes to the workdays has ever ridden Gatorback (ok, maybe a couple) and wouldn't want to anyways.

So.... it is currently closed because we have a problem attracting people who ride the trail to attend our workdays. It's not fair to ask the trail volunteers to work on a trail they'll never get near.

Various attempts have been made to get groups outside of SWAMP to maintain the trail, but they've run into the same problem - not enough interest on a consistent basis.

We've discussed changing some of the more technical sections in Gatorback to make it more accessible to more riders - that's probably what will happen. I know it's on the list of trail projects - it's gonna take a lot of hard work, so we need to see the interest.

I don't see the need to post to MTBR. I didn't see any mention of the rumor on there.

Hope this helps!!!
    Julianne
    p.s. remember, work days at Alafia are every first Saturday of the month at 9AM to noon. Free lunch and gatorade.

After losing Razorback and the TOE, I can understand tempers flaring, but let's not start jumping on each other's throat. I did Gatorback as a newbie my first time there . Perhaps not the smartest thing to do, but I went with good friends who knew the trail well (from Miami) and I made it out relatively unscathed.

What should be a worry is what is stated on the 4th paragraph.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Pansies?

Years ago I broke a bone in my hand in the middle of the woods in Tampa. I was alone and had to bike out of the trails and then to my friend's house.... about 5 miles, one-handed riding, and in pain. Yuck.

It was lucky that no bicycles were hurt during this process.

Weekend Warrior
    That is my biggest fear... riding alone and then something happening. I usually like to ride with more experienced riders. Alone, I don't ride alone, ever. With some good people I've done once a Black Diamond, but double black ..... it's out of my league.

I loved riding with eclark, he knows the trails in Alafia like the back of his hand. Was a great experience.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So who here rides gatorback and is a park local? I am, and I am willing to work 1 day a month, my boss will vouch for that. I was waiting for AJs to send an email, as I thought they were still responsible for that trail. Who in here is a swamp member and rides the trail and goes to workdays? If someone can head this up, I can gurantee at least 2 people(me and either Jeff or Mark) for every workday. Lets all man up here and save this trail. Can someone xpost in swamp or something? If it is saveable, lets save it. Maybe we are too late, but I hope not. If anyone can get this going, pm me for email, phone whatever info we need.

Weekend Warrior
    Let me know when the next one is, I can't guarantee to come out during weekdays (I have an unpredictable schedule) but on the weekends it shouldn't be a problem. I'd love to come out, work a bit and then hit the trails... I need the workout anyways

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by eclark7
    So who here rides gatorback and is a park local? I am, and I am willing to work 1 day a month, my boss will vouch for that. I was waiting for AJs to send an email, as I thought they were still responsible for that trail. Who in here is a swamp member and rides the trail and goes to workdays? If someone can head this up, I can gurantee at least 2 people(me and either Jeff or Mark) for every workday. Lets all man up here and save this trail. Can someone xpost in swamp or something? If it is saveable, lets save it. Maybe we are too late, but I hope not. If anyone can get this going, pm me for email, phone whatever info we need.
    Count me in as well. Coming from Gainesville I can't guarantee 9:00 am, but I'll make it by 10:00. Let's get the trail open and keep it from getting sanitized by stepping in.

So who wants to take charge!

Its got what plants crave
    Why is it that one person always fawks it up for everybody else? I just don't understand the logic here. When I attempt things that I know I could injure myself on, and then I get hurt, the last thing I'm going to do is sue somebody. I'll chock it up as a lesson learned and hopefully utilize that lesson to attempt the obstacle another day. Not cry about how hard the trail was when I made the choice to ride it. People suck.

trying to ride
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by daleksic
    Let me know when the next one is, I can't guarantee to come out during weekdays (I have an unpredictable schedule) but on the weekends it shouldn't be a problem. I'd love to come out, work a bit and then hit the trails... I need the workout anyways

Ernie, the gainesville crew is always willing to help. We were talking aobut wanting to head down to Alifia soon to check out new stuff that has been added. Perhaps we can set a date for the next trail day and car-pool down. Is there an abundant supply of tools on hand down there or should I/we plan on bringing stuff? Anything needed in particular?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by daleksic
    That is my biggest fear... riding alone and then something happening. I usually like to ride with more experienced riders. Alone, I don't ride alone, ever. With some good people I've done once a Black Diamond, but double black ..... it's out of my league.

I loved riding with eclark, he knows the trails in Alafia like the back of his hand. Was a great experience.....
    My first time out there I went alone after it had rained. I did just about everything, including Gatorback and the mudslide at the beginning of Moonscape (I think). Fun day, but there were definitely points when I thought it might not be such a great idea

Weapon of Choice
    [QUOTE

Can't help thinking that they ride Markham and think they are experts....till they get up here.

Hey Yamon, Are you trying to stir up a East coast/ West coast Mtbr Rivalry or something?

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by adam90xj
    Ernie, the gainesville crew is always willing to help. We were talking aobut wanting to head down to Alifia soon to check out new stuff that has been added. Perhaps we can set a date for the next trail day and car-pool down. Is there an abundant supply of tools on hand down there or should I/we plan on bringing stuff? Anything needed in particular?
    Hey Adam, the more the merrier. If we share a ride together from Gville then the punch at the gas pump will be easier to take. Even if you ride this trail occasionally, you know it worth it to pitch in.
    Once it's organized we can see about tools and stuff. However, I'm sure that SWAMP will have some of that, and food covered.

mtbr member

Me???? Never......

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman69
    [QUOTE

Hey Yamon, Are you trying to stir up a East coast/ West coast Mtbr Rivalry or something?

Everyone knows that the best trails are in Central/North Florida !!!!!!

Don't hurt yourself when you come and enjoy our trails

mtbjk
    Well I ride it so Erick I will do my part right along wiith you just keep us posted. Oh and we need to hook up for a ride, Its been awhile. I will shoot you a pm so we can hook up for a ride
    Ride On
    Jan R

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm at Alafia almost every Sunday. There is always a bunch of stuff on the bridge into Gatorback when it is closed. Obviously someone removed the obstacles and rode it anyway, and maybe someone later followed them into it. Either way it is a moot point. What we need to do is get the trail open all the time, and I've been trying to find out when they will work on it from SWAMP for some time. I've done my share of trail work, but not with SWAMP. This year I'm going to spend my time where I ride the most, and that is Alafia.

Members who have read this thread: 0