mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Florida Tire Advice Please

Hey everybody,

I'm riding a 26inch hardtail at alafia and balm boyette. Occasionally I'll go to santos or carter road.
    I'm currently on my bikes stock "rapid rob" tires, and I dislike them.

After a lot of research, I think I've come down to these two choices:

1) Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 Rear / Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 Front

2) Maxxis Ardent 2.25 Front and Rear (or 2.4 front if there's enough clearance)

I can get a good deal on Maxxis tires, so I'd like to stay with that brand. I'm also open to any other Maxxis tire suggestions.

Please help!

Thank You

WillWorkForTrail
    I'm a fan of the Ardent. I run a 2.4 up front and a 2.25 in the rear. I can't speak for how they work in Florida, but they work well in TN, KY, VA, and NC.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
    2) Maxxis Ardent 2.25 Front and Rear (or 2.4 front if there's enough clearance)
    I would say that you don't need anything more than 2.1 in the back and 2.3 in the front. Having done most my mountain biking in California and Arizona, the same problems don't exist in Florida that justify really beefy tires: long, loose climbs; really chunky rock sections on downhills/uphills where you have intermittent tire contact; etc. With the exceptions of roots, traction out here never seems to be lacking - so I would opt to go skinnier and reduce rolling resistance (unless you are still a beginner, where the extra width provides additional stability in technical sections).

I ride Specialized Purgatory (2.2) up front and Specialized Captain (2.0) in back. They are both great tires. They do great in all terrain. If I want to reduce rolling resistance for racing, I usually go with a Specialized Fast-track in the back, and potentially the front if the trail is mostly tacky hardpack.

Captain Climber
    Vee Rubber Trax 26x2.10 Folding Tire | Vee Rubber | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

I just ordered some Vee Rubber Trax 26" for $8... Figured for the price you can't beat it and I might as well test them out. I've been wanting to try a smaller tread, fast rolling tire for a while now with the conditions we have here in florida, especially chuck lennon where I ride. I'll post back when I get them on... Should be here soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the responses

Cilantro, I'm on 2.1/2.1 right now; I agree that we don't need bigger than 2.1/2.3 here. The Maxxis e-store lists the smallest Ardent as 2.25 though, and the next step up is a 2.4. That's why I was considering those sizes. Do you guys have any experience with the crossmark/ignitor combo or anything similar?

Jackalope Hunter
    Maxxis tires tend to run on the thinner side, I've had a pair of 2.25 Ardents and they weren't as wide as you'd expect. Good tire for XC...
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I'm really enjoying Spec Ground Controls up front and Fast Traks in the back, so much so that I run them on both my geared bike and SS. In the past I've run FastTraks F/B, FastTraks up front and Renegade out back, Ground Controls F/B; but the Ground Controls up front and Fast Traks out back have me won over.