mtbr member
    May 2007

FL Riders -- What Tire?

For all those who ride Santos, Alafia, Ft. Pierce, etc., what tires are you using?

Its got what plants crave
    For what kind of riding? Right now I"m riding a 2.35 high roller front and 2.1 panaracer fire xc rear but I'm looking for something wider in the rear. Might run 2.35 Nevegals F/R soon.

mtbr member
    Panaracer XCs for me.
    Floridas Other Crazy White Guy....http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php

mtbr member
    I run either a Kenda Blue Groove (front)/Nevegal (rear) or switch up the Nevegal for a lighter Kenda Small Block 8. The Blue Groove/Nevegal combo is the best all around, but the Small Block 8 is lighter and faster, though it sucks in the wet.

bob
    mtbr member

Ft. Pierce homer

Ft. Pierce is my home trail, with many rides per year at Santos and Alafia. I run 2.3 Blue Groove/ Nevegal combo, front and rear. I love them for Ft. Pierce and Alafia. They're great for the reds at Santos, but I wouldn't mind trying a slightly faster rolling tire there. The former OMBA president claims 2.4 Mutanoraptors are his fav for Santos.

mtbr member
    Running the Michelin Mountain X'Treme Tubeless MTB Tire 2.5 up front, a Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 tubless in the back, it works just about everywhere I ride here.

Crash Test Dummy
    Bontrager Jones ACX in front and Bontrager Revolt Super X in back. Both tubeless. This setup corners well for me and the Revolt does surprisingly well even when wet and muddy.
    It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I've been running 2.3 Weirwolfs for Santos/Razorback/San Felasco. They roll fast and work pretty good in most conditions. They do suck in mud and sand, but I try not to ride in that. I am getting a set of Nevegals to try them out.

mtbr member
    This off the subject here but I moved from S. Florida to N Georgia and will coming back for about two weeks and will be riding a pretty good amount of that ( I hope ). Any way I heard that quite waters was closed. Is this true and if so is it going to reopen.

Oh, I run for right now a 2.3 blue groove in front and nevegal in the front, however I am in the market for different set of tires.
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

Cannondale Snob
    I run 2.1 Weirwolfs and find that they work well in just about all conditions down here. Wonderful climbers!
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by RiskEverything
    Wonderful climbers!
    See, I don't fully agree with that. Are yours tubeless?

Dirt Eater
    Jan 2005
    Used to run 2.1 Weirwolves front and rear. Switched the front to a 2.1 Velociraptor, run the rear reversed. Trail velcro.

mtbjk
    pana racer fire xc pros, light , fast, and hook up in all conditions and have gotten 2 years out of a set and thats rideing every weekend. time for a new pear and you can pick them up on the web cheap if buying two for around 35$.
    Jan R
    Ride On

yeah, uh............bikes
    I'm on my third set of Tioga DH 2.3's. They're heavy as he11 but I rationalize that with the thought that they make me a stronger rider.

I've been reading about Schwalbe tires and am thinking about getting a set to see how they do...kinda pricey though.

Cannondale Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    Quote Originally Posted by RiskEverything
    Awesome climbers!
    See, I don't fully agree with that. Are yours tubeless?
    I've had both tubed and tubeless, and I ran both at 40-45psi. The tubeless do have the "DNA" compound, though. Both versions earned mucho props in the climbing department. You can also run the rear tire in the opposite direction, though I've never tried it....
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan R
    pana racer fire xc pros, light , fast, and hook up in all conditions and have gotten 2 years out of a set and thats rideing every weekend. time for a new pear and you can pick them up on the web cheap if buying two for around 35$.
    Jan R
    Ride On
    I run nevgals F/R and I really do like them although I am thinking about trying something different just for the heck of it. My local trail is fort pierce and they work quite well there. I have had fire xc's in the past I wouldn't say they are fast tires. They seemed pretty slow compared to the nevgals. The fire xc's do have a lot of traction though. I switched to tubless about 9 months ago and really like the tubless thing.
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    Umm.........I'm running tubeless 2.1 NEVEGALS which are similar in size to several other brands 2.25/2.3's on my Nomad with 26ish in the front and 30-32 in the back. I clock in at a svelte 225 on a good day.They just plain work from here to Tanasi in just about everything except muck.
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

mtbr member
    Continental Vertical Pros

and

WTB Exiwolf's

Love both although the Vertical Pros do a better job in the mud.
    2006 IBEX Trophy Pro
    2007 IBEX Asta Expert SE

I also use a conti vert pro front and gravity rear....best FL tire going

Members who have read this thread: 0