Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    97

    FATS Trail Condition?

    I am planning on riding FATS tomorrow for the 1st time. Could anyone provide an update to the trail conditions as the official website hasn't been updated for a long time.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    An Army of Bikers
    Reputation: armybiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    27
    Well it has not rained in days so its should be just fine. There will most likely still be leaves on the trails so pay attention to where your going. The map can be confusing if you have never riden out there but they do have new signs that point the directions... Also its still hunting season I believe so wear some orange. Its not required but all the bike shops suggest it.

    Enjoy, I am new to the area and I have been there a few times. It by far some of the funnest mtbing I have ever done. If you don't go airbourne then you didn't try hard enough.

    Rich Gooding
    Use your wheels to go down the hill, not your head
    08 Trek Fuel EX9

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,078
    FATS should be great tomorrow. 99% dry. 1% muddy.

    The lower portion of the Skinny Loop is usually the most soggy.

    The dryest ride out there is prolly the upper side of the Skinny to the Brown Wave. And back up the same side of the Skinny Loop.

    I think CCW is the best direction to ride any of the loops there.

    Have fun.

    Hunting season (deer) is over in South Carolina.

  4. #4
    white boy extraordinaire
    Reputation: cmweldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    241
    Rode it this morning, early. Nice and Foggy and a little soggy! Good all over though. Still fast and never spun out anywhere.
    "Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!"

    -the Dude

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    97
    Thanks for the replies. I rode Lake Norman State Park in NC today instead of FATS.

    I put off FATS until this Saturday. Checked the weather forecast and it looks like its going to rain a little. I'll keep an eye on rainfall totals and then decide if Saturday will work or not. I hear FATS gets ugly when wet.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,078
    Quote Originally Posted by linusv
    Thanks for the replies. I rode Lake Norman State Park in NC today instead of FATS.

    I put off FATS until this Saturday. Checked the weather forecast and it looks like its going to rain a little. I'll keep an eye on rainfall totals and then decide if Saturday will work or not. I hear FATS gets ugly when wet.
    Please don't come to FATS on Saturday. It will be wet (it is raining now, and calling for more).

    FATS is relatively fresh trail that gets ALOT of traffic. It rarely gets anytime to rest. 98% of FATS is perfect, drains great, has quality soils and no seepage issues. The other 2% has various issues, but alot of clay and seepage from underground tag team on some sections to reak havoc. Mixed with alot of traffic, these areas suffer. 2% of FATS is a half a mile of trail and the problem areas are spread out over the four loops. We are armoring it as fast as we can, but the number of workers to riders is 1 to 100.

    If you are looking for a great destination trail....it is FATS. I hope we can keep it that way.

    The best thing you can do for FATS is to not come here to ride it for a while. It will be great this spring, and will improve as we armor each section that needs it. If you have a long drive, save if for when FATS is rocking. You will be glad you did. I know I will be glad you did.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    97
    Thanks. I stay away from riding the trails when wet. I'll re-schedule this ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •