mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Devils Den Arkansas Trip January 18th

A bunch of us Kc locals are headed to Arkansas to hit some hills at Devils Den and some Bentonville on the way back.

We are heading out Friday the 18th. Camping at the Den and staying till Sunday. Then heading back to Bentonville, to ride the Fr course before heading home. Should be a blast as long as the weather helps out. I think there's about 25 or 30 guys in total as of now between KC, Oklahoma, and Texas.

GTL
    mtbr member
    Sounds like a great trip CT. Enjoy DD and Slaughter Pen - great stuff there - another option is Eureka Springs but it is a bit off the North South line you will be driving. Do you know where the DH course is at DD?
    Le Tour de Tick MTB Race every April - 04/25/10 www.missouritrailssociety.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GTL
    Sounds like a great trip CT. Enjoy DD and Slaughter Pen - great stuff there - another option is Eureka Springs but it is a bit off the North South line you will be driving. Do you know where the DH course is at DD?
    Yes... It's right across the gravel road from the primitave camping at the park. I've been there a few times.
    Chris...

GTL
    mtbr member
    Do you mean the walk in campground by Fossil Flats? Or the one at the other end of the park where this years race course was held?
    Le Tour de Tick MTB Race every April - 04/25/10 www.missouritrailssociety.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Do you mean the walk in campground by Fossil Flats? Or the one at the other end of the park where this years race course was held?
    Last year we camped at the end of the old course, across from the finish line road gap. It's in the national forest side where camping is free! Depending on the weather we might camp at the pay site for electric hook up just down the road from the National forest land.

I don't know much about the new course yet but some of my friends have been there since and have ridden it. I can't wait to go. It's going to be a blast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hope you guys don't mind an old guy hanging around. Been a few years since I've ridden the DD DH run....... It was fun then. Should be better now.

Hopefully the weather will be decent.
    '15 Giant Anthem SX - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Manning
    Hope you guys don't mind an old guy hanging around. Been a few years since I've ridden the DD DH run....... It was fun then. Should be better now.

Hopefully the weather will be decent.
    Just what do you consider old? I'm 34, and that's old in most of these kids minds now days!

GTL
    mtbr member
    CT The new DH course is at the end by the Horsey staging and group area. You head down the gravel road, over a narrow bridge and there is a rough gravel road heading off to the right up to where the finish is. The shuttle road is a little further on past this point - again to the right. Course was sweet, nice drops, rough rocky sections and smooth fast ones as well. Post back up when it gets closer to your trip - might get a few of us from SW MO down there as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrailfreak
    Just what do you consider old? I'm 34, and that's old in most of these kids minds now days!

The new Bentonville trails/freeride/dirtjump park is a hoot.

http://www.slaughterpen.com/home.html
    '15 Giant Anthem SX - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Manning

The new Bentonville trails/freeride/dirtjump park is a hoot.

http://www.slaughterpen.com/home.html
    41 is right up around the corner for me!

DIRTYAMERICAN
    Apr 2004
    see ya there, Chris. Gonna have to put my video games away and dust off my skills...er I mean, basic sending ability.
    let's roll

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jdude
    see ya there, Chris. Gonna have to put my video games away and dust off my skills...er I mean, basic sending ability.
    Sounds like a plan. Is anyone else coming from Manhattan or are you rollin solo?

DIRTYAMERICAN
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrailfreak
    Sounds like a plan. Is anyone else coming from Manhattan or are you rollin solo?
    I don't know if anyone else can handle my bad gas and terrible jokes.
    let's roll

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    CT The new DH course is at the end by the Horsey staging and group area. You head down the gravel road, over a narrow bridge and there is a rough gravel road heading off to the right up to where the finish is. The shuttle road is a little further on past this point - again to the right. Course was sweet, nice drops, rough rocky sections and smooth fast ones as well. Post back up when it gets closer to your trip - might get a few of us from SW MO down there as well.
    It's getting closer now. Less than 2 weeks and counting! So far over 30 people are in on this. If you do go I'll be the only guy there 6' 6" tall riding a Red Raleigh Ram XT with a white 66 on it. Can't miss me! Hope you guys can show up and represent for the Mo side like me!

We're thinking about renting a uhaul once we get to Fayetville, for shuttle runs, and all chipping in to cover it. If you want to contact me shoot me a email at c trail @ comcast dot net. I don't get email's when people reply to my post's on here.

GTL
    mtbr member
    Wow - great deal if half of the 30 show. Will try to make at least for a day.

mtbr member

dd dh

I'm thinking about making the trip up to Devils Den on Saturday from DFW. I ordered my new bike on Tuesday, so assuming it gets here in time I'm going. I was also wondering how everyone is going to shuttle. If there was a flatbed available for rent (like at the race this past september) that would be much better than a uHaul. It can get pretty claustrophobic riding in the back of an enclosed truck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I think we would put riders in the bed of the truck and bikes in the back of the trailer! I don't know if anyone down there has a flat bed trailer but that would be nice for sure.

GTL
    mtbr member
    Stopped off at Slaughter Pen Hollow Sun after a cross rac e- looks pretty cool, good single track, some awesome skinnys on the general trails and then wow! the free-ride area has some huge berms, drops, jumps and a monster wall - didn't have the right bikes with us to try any of it but we will definitely be back to try it all!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    So.... Are you going to make it down to the Den for a day stay or try and camp? We'll be in Bentonville Friday morning or just before 11:00 at most. Ride there a couple hours and then set up camp at Devils De.Try and ride some DH before it gets dark. Then let the drunken madness begin!

mtbr member
    May 2007

Slaughter Pen

Hey all. Hope you don't mind a new name posting in, but wanted to inquire about Slaughter Pen..........

I am pretty new at Mountain Biking....mainly a roadie (I've ridden lake Fayetteville about 5 times---both directions.....not a real challenge, but I felt like it was very rocky (especially on some climbs)), this being said, what is the level of Slaughter Pen compared to LF???

Do you think that I would have a good time?? Are there novice routes?
    Thanks for any input....
    You guys have a good time in AR.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Never ridden at the other place so I can't compare it to Bentonville. The last time I rode Bentonville it seemed to be Fairly easy but was kind of rocky in sections. The stunts are all off to the side of the trail so you aren't forced to ride up or down anything other than the trail itself.

We'll be there Friday morning- Friday afternoon, then headed to Devils Den.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    So... How many are in from here? ONE and 1/2 days till take off!

mtbr member
    I still haven't gotten my bike in yet, but assuming it shows tomorrow or friday, I'm in.

DIRTYAMERICAN
    Apr 2004
    Hey, Chris, you guys are riding there in the morning? How early are you leaving? man! I'm shooting for a 12:30 ETA

Miller, I used to be a roadie too.

well, long ago on a highway, far, far away...

can't wait to get some!
    let's roll

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'll be up at 4:30 am and leaving my house at 5:45, to be at Shawn's house by 6:45 . We're planning on rolling out Friday morning about 7:30 and being in Bentonville by 10:30 or !1:00.

Looks too much like Ups tracking to me, and I'm not a morning person either!: It's on in just over a day!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miller_2727
    Hey all. Hope you don't mind a new name posting in, but wanted to inquire about Slaughter Pen..........

I am pretty new at Mountain Biking....mainly a roadie (I've ridden lake Fayetteville about 5 times---both directions.....not a real challenge, but I felt like it was very rocky (especially on some climbs)), this being said, what is the level of Slaughter Pen compared to LF???

Do you think that I would have a good time?? Are there novice routes?
    Thanks for any input....
    You guys have a good time in AR.
    Slaughter Pen is slower and more technical than Lake Fayetteville. I "personally" don't care for it. Hobbs however is not technical and is very fast and there are about 16 miles or so of single track. Nice climbs and a lot of fast/twisty/flowing single track.

GTL
    mtbr member
    CT. Unfortunately I had to hit the road this week - I am somewhere in MI?? Wont be home til Sat but hope to hit Slaughter Pen on Sunday - are you guys coming back up that a way?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Ya we'll roll back through B-ville on Sunday, and stay there for a while, before headed back to Kc. See you then.
    Chris...

GTL
    mtbr member
    CT how was DD - a bit cold? We made it to Slaughter Pen by 2:00 on Sun. spent a few hours knocking around - had a good time. Saw a vehicle and trailer with camping gear and a couple of DH rigs hanging off the back - was that you guys?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    No. We left DD Sunday and went home tired. We didn't think SP would be ridable since it was all muddy Friday. DD was a blast. Loved the new course. It was a bit cold at night but during the day I was wearing shorts on my runs with armor and was just fine.

GTL
    mtbr member
    Glad you guys had a good time at DD - it is one of the best all around areas in this neck of the woods - you need to make it down for the NWA Championships. SP wan't too bad - a little slop on the lower trail, but the upper trails and freeride area was in pretty good shape. Pretty cool area and a few locals mentioned they were going to be putting in up to 6 more miles of trails!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Devils Den is going to get another DH course put on the property instead of the one that's there now. It's on private property and is only supposed to be used on race days. We found all this out this weekend. You can't miss all the private property and keep out signs all up the shuttle road and even on the trail. We got haggled by some guy about leaving but we drove 4.5 hours and where not turning back!

No one else bothered us but him, and it wasn't even his land.

DIRTYAMERICAN
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark
    Nice climbs and a lot of fast/twisty/flowing single track.
    And riding uphill is fun?

I don't get it.
    let's roll

Members who have read this thread: 0