Weekend Warrior

Deciding on Santos or Alafia this weekend?!

Who's going this weekend. The rainchances are supposed to be 10%. Thinking of getting out there at 9:00 a.m....

Let me know who's going - and where!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

a week late

Sorry for the week late post here. I would go to Santo over Alafia every day of the week if it wasnt a 2 hour drive time difference for me. I ride Alafia almost every weekend just because it is close and fits real well into my schedule. I rode alafia last night and discovered that someone removed the little log on top of the off camber little hump at the end of roller coaster. Seriously, I thought that was supposed to be a black trail but apparently that doesn't matter. That is the crap that makes me want Santos to be closer. Why do they cut out roots and little tiny logs at Alafia constantly? When I have done trail work, we are always careful to just cut what needs to be cut, no excessive trail "smoothing". If I wanted to ride smooth trails I would purchase a roadbike and some yellow spandex shorts. I hate trail sanitizers. I think my rant is through.

Cannondale Snob
    Eclark- that worst part is that it is often NOT the SWAMP club who removes these obstacles. It is some trail user who gets frustrated at not being able to clean the section and takes it upon themselves to make it doable for them.

Other times the SWAMP club does smooth out sections of the trail that have become eroded and washed out over time. Yes, it makes the trail easier for a while, until that section erodes again. It takes constant maintenance to keep the trails open and prevent them from becoming so much more difficult than was originally intended.

Also- if you don't help maintain the trails- you have no right to ***** about them.
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by RiskEverything
    Also- if you don't help maintain the trails- you have no right to ***** about them.
    Unless you work every saturday and have asked repeatedly for some sunday trail parties, to no avail
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I understand that sometimes people take it upon themselves to remove stuff, but that particular place is a little over smoothed. Since I have been at tw days and suggested we not smooth sections on a black trail and been vetoed by the powers that be, I feel full well able to complain about it. Please take note, I am specifically not bashing Art, he is a great guy who does great work out there. Blunderbuss, I have seen you ask for Sunday workdays here and ridgeriders bb too, as well as doing tm at the toe with you, so you can complain if you want to also. Personally, I love the challenge that a good ride poses, and I guess I should feel bad for people who feel the need to smooth trail since they can't ride it. I would make it Saturday, but I am headed out this Saturday. Maybe next Saturday me and the postman can remove those pesky logs from the very hard option on the last part of rollercoaster, so everyone can roll it a little easier.

Also, I have been in FL for 2 years now, I have done TM at Alafia, Santos, TOE(RIP), and Boyette, so please hold the "don't complain if you don't work" comments back.

That being said, Risk, whats your Sunday plans? I am mostly messing around about this stuff and don't want you to think I am ripping at you here. Want to get a ride in?

Postino, I finally got a somewhat XC bike, and might be able to hang with some of you big dogs.

Weekend Warrior
    I'd be ready to go Santos or Alafia on Saturday & Sunday. My bike has been at the LBS for a fork repair/replacement since last Friday. I can't wait to get it back tomorrow and am egar to get on the trail.

Let me know where you guys are going, i'd like to join you if there is space for one more...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

always room

dale,
    I am definitely going to be at alafia on Sunday around 8am weather permitting. I am in a blue xterra with a spiffy new enduro elite, and a tattooed freak and his pop are my riding buddies. We do take some um... breaks here and there, but other than that, we keep a pretty quick pace. Hopefully see you there.

Weekend Warrior
    Sounds great, looking forward to biking with you....

Cannondale Snob
    I'll be doing TM at Alafia on Saturday morning until noon (planning to bring some gas-powered hedge trimmers so we can really get some chit done). Afterwards I'll go riding. I'm going to try to keep it down to an easy pace and ride every trail out there at least once. That way I can figure out what still needs trimming so maybe I can do that next weekend on my own. I've got a late-night date so I'll probably stay until 6PM or so.

Sunday morning I'll be there with the club from 9AM-Noon and riding with the B+ or A group. After they quit, I'll probably stay a few extra hours. I swing-dance up in Tampa from 6PM-Midnight so I can't stay at Alafia all day.

For those who want to do TM on Sunday, we don't need the clubs approval. I don't go to the monthly Croom ride, so that Sunday I would be glad to put in some more work at Alafia. As I mentioned before- I can bring some gas-powered trimmers so just a few of us can do a LOT of work rather quickly.

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by RiskEverything
    For those who want to do TM on Sunday, we don't need the clubs approval.
    SWAMP specifically forbids unauthorized TM. I'm not complaining about that, or like E said, the work that Art puts in at Alafia , G at Boyette, etc. I just want them to rotate the workdays. I have asked here, and also spoken to Art in person, but the majority is against me. That is one thing I love about being a Ridge Rider; we are flexible.

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by eclark7
    Postino, I finally got a somewhat XC bike, and might be able to hang with some of you big dogs.
    Just in time for race season! You wouldn't enjoy Tally this weekend, but Reddick is in another 2 weeks. Come on out and race XC-4 (fka novice class)

Cannondale Snob
    They don't mind if we trim the bushes, but they don't want us making changes to the actual trail surface.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

sunday sunday sunday

Risk, I will be there Sunday 8am, skipping the club rides though. I have fun riding in a small group, but the big groups aren't really for me. I started riding way back when I quit hunting, and love the solitude of the woods. If you get there earlier than the swampers, maybe we can put in a quick loop or something. Last Saturday the weather was so perfect, I can't believe I am looking forward to winter mountain biking. Hope to see everyone there.

Weekend Warrior
    My bike is in the car, the cooler is packed, see yah there tomorrow.............

Cannondale Snob
    I trimmed North Creek today and helped Art start rough-cutting a new section for Rollercoaster. I'm biking all day tomorrow and then dancing all night- I love Sundays!

Dirt Eater
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss
    Unless you work every saturday and have asked repeatedly for some sunday trail parties, to no avail
    You and me, both. I've had ONE Sunday group that worked on Gatorback. It's nice to have a local club, but I seriously think Swamp needs to look at OMBA for organization inspiration. OMBA rocks.

Weekend Warrior
    eclark, Thank you so much. I had a blast, and a sore ass now, but it was really great.

I'll try to make it out next weekend again and this time I hope I got the clipless pedals.

I forgot however, which pedals do you have? I know it's the TIME ATAC, but I'm not sure which model exactly; let me know please. I found some TIME ATAC Aluminum at JensonUSA.com but I'm not sure these are the ones you had. I just want to make sure I can pedal with and without Cleats.

Cannondale Snob
    EClark- it was a blast following you around the park- you really go wild out there!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    dan, I am glad you had a good time. You definitely have riding ability, and going clipless and elevating your fitness level will definitely get you up to the next level. I ride the time atac z control, it is different then that aluminum. The z is the key for the platform. If you want the platform, you should also look at crank bros mallets, whatever the bigger shimano pedal is, and anything else you can find cheap. I did see some 661 spd shoes on the good deals page of this site for $34 that I might order for myself today. When you buy pedals, make sure you do not get the one side clip in/one side platform pedals. You mentioned the Shimano 520 pedals, and I think that is what they are. The one sided ones are begging you to look at them while you get the correct side up, recipe for disaster.

Risk,
    I liked the first re-route on rollercoaster, the rest were caca in my opinion. I also didn't understand why the reroute was needed. All I could think of was a mud puddle and one little washout on those sections of rollercoaster that are no longer part of the trail. The very first re-routed section, however, is buff!! The rollers are real close together, and once it is ridden in, someone without a ton of common sense could very well double some of those rolls. Wooo hoooo!! I am going to run by the shop one day this week and ask Art what the deal is with gatorback. What you told me yesterday got my blood boiling, especially since that trail was riding perfect right up until they closed it. You seem very gung ho about the trails, and I am more than willing to spend some time shovelling out there. If we can work something out with Art, would you be willing to jump in with me on Gatorback?
    e

Cannondale Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by eclark7
    Risk,
    I liked the first re-route on rollercoaster, the rest were caca in my opinion. I also didn't understand why the reroute was needed. All I could think of was a mud puddle and one little washout on those sections of rollercoaster that are no longer part of the trail. The very first re-routed section, however, is buff!! The rollers are real close together, and once it is ridden in, someone without a ton of common sense could very well double some of those rolls. Wooo hoooo!! I am going to run by the shop one day this week and ask Art what the deal is with gatorback. What you told me yesterday got my blood boiling, especially since that trail was riding perfect right up until they closed it. You seem very gung ho about the trails, and I am more than willing to spend some time shovelling out there. If we can work something out with Art, would you be willing to jump in with me on Gatorback?
    e
    The entrance to Rollercoaster used to be nice rollers as well, but they wore down. Art moved it to the left to make it more like it once was. He's hoping that the little middle hill will wear down so they become jumps. Right now if you were to launch off the first one with enough speed to land on the third, you'd likely nail the tree branch that hangs over them. He's thinking about cutting that back just for that reason.

The second new section adds some more length and flow to the trail. We bypassed maybe 30' of trail and added a couple hundred. It's only roughed in right now, and the plan is to add a rock garden to it. Art is planning on adding another section almost directly after that will add another climb / switchback / drop combo. It will take some benchcutting though, so we have to wait until more people show up to knock it out.

The third new section that bypasses the rooty hill climb.... I think he did it for erosion reasons. The new piece is on top of the hill instead of on the side of it so it should be easier to maintain. I really liked the old root climb- it was one of the few places on that trail that I had to wonder if I would clean it each time. The new section is already wearing in with some roots showing through, so hopefully it will become something challenging as well.

Regarding Gatorback:
    I really have NO IDEA why it is currently closed. I walked it last week (showing it to some new riders) and besides clearing a few branches (which I did then because I was on foot), I couldn't see anything about it that needed work.
    However- (according to Art) The people who maintain that trail- don't ride it. The people who ride that trail- don't maintain it. So... the people who maintain it are considering turning it into something that they would like to ride, which is something less extreme.
    If you want to keep it open, and keep it as difficult as it is, you'll have to get together a group of people (preferably ones that ride that trail) to maintain it. AJ's already organized "Keep Gatorback Alive" in order to do just that. But, they have a business to run and their volunteers quit showing up, so it went stagnant. Step 1 would be contacting AJ's and finding out about this program- he should be able to tell you exactly what we are and aren't allowed to do to the trail (what the forest service will and won't allow). Art has a LOT of other things he'd like to do besides work on Gatorback (lots of other trails he wants to build out there), and I believe he would likely leave it alone if there were a dedicated group to take care of it so he doesn't have to.

I'm busy as hell but if we can figure out a time to get together and work on it- I'm happy to help keep that trail alive. Maybe one day I'll even be good enough to ride it

Weekend Warrior
    eclark, sorry to bug you about that again, but I'm deciding if I should get the Time Atac Z (platform) or the Alium (non platform). I was thinking I'll be using the platforms with sneakers on short rides but then again what's the point. If I got good pedals i might as well use good shoes with them.

How's the pressure on the foot? Is it better distributed with the platforms? Or does it not matter. I'll order as soon as you let me know what to look for.

Thanks again.....

P.S.: Let me know when you want to go out there and build the trail, I wouldn't mind putting some time in with you guys. I just need to make arrangements with my kids (and wife). And then maybe we can ride it....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

pedals and trails

Dan,
    Don't let me tell you what you want to ride, but I will tell you I rode both models of those pedals and liked them. Personally, I ride with a softer soled shoe, but still SPD compatible. I like softer shoes because they are more comfy to push back up the hill in, stiffer soled shoes are 95% of cycling shoes, and honestly do give you a more stable pedalling platform, and that lets you get more power to the pedals. That being said, if you are considering a softer shoe, like the shimano dx or the 661 shoes that are more bmx styled but still spd(cleat) compatible, you might want the bigger platform. If you want to rock the stiffer soles, the bigger platform is totally unnecessary. Neither of those pedals are really great as town shoe pedals, though the platform is definetely better. The spring part of the pedal sticks up, and is slippery. If you can take your old pedals off and install your new ones(no rocket science involved, just 30 seconds), then order whatever pedals and shoes you want, and if they suck for town shoes, switch back to your old pedals for kids/wife rides and such. It really is a matter of preference mostly. I pop my feet out alot, so if I can't get it back in, the platform is there for me. As far as working on trail goes, don't sweat it. All I really need to do is put a shovel in my boy Jeffs hands and point where the dirt goes, he is like having 10 dudes working.

Risk,
    Dude, I know you can ride gatorback regularly, I already saw you in the woods bro!! I am going to talk to Art when I can get off work before they are closed, so it might not be until this weekend. AJs stopped sending out emails, so it isn't like their volunteers dried up, we are still here. No one would work out there without an invite, because trail work is supposed to be off limits without Arts consent or supervision. If I can work it out though, I want to just get a core of a couple guys to just keep it straight out there. You nailed it when you said Art has enough on his plate, and there is enough ground out there that he doesn't need that area for new trails. I am feeling optimistic. Back home in NJ, me and 2 other dudes built a freeride trail and kept is sweet year round, so the work part doesn't scare me. I just need to work it out so I can go out when I can, not around other peoples schedules. My job is too erratic to commit. And I am glad you had fun riding with us, we do try to have fun out there. I have been riding for a long time, and with a lot of real good riders, so everything just feels right most of the time.
    peace all, erik

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks erik. I just needed an opinion. I went with the platforms (TIME ATAC Z) as I had the same thoughts and wanted to be safe. The other ones were just cheaper, but for $25 extra i think it is smarter to go with the Zs. It should be here on Thursday' can't wait to get them on.

My bike is back at the shop and they are taking the fork completely apart. I'll find out what's going on with it today, but several guys looked at it and they agree that it doesn't work like it's supposed to. The sag is supposed to be 1" on my fork and not 1/8". At the lowest preload setting at my weight I should be bottoming out where we rode but I barelly get 2" of travel. If they can't fix it today I'll get a brand new one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Niiiice!! I love those pedals. What shoes did you get??

Weekend Warrior
    I got te 661 Dually SPD Shoes on sale for $30 at Blueskycycling.

I think they made a mistake. I was confused about the size so I went to the homepage (sixsixone.com) and this shoe is $90 regular and does not carry a discount, however the non-SPD shoe is discounted to $30. I guess Bluecycling didn't realize that there are 2 models yet they discounted the SPD version to $30, so I took advantage of that.

Weekend Warrior
    I got my bike back! They fixed the fork. It works so much better, i get almost all the travel now and it absorbs the bumps so much better. I can't wait to get out on the trail again.

It seems like the factory didn't put any (or not enough) oil/grease in my springs and everything was dry in there. They rebuilt it and everything is beautiful now.....

Members who have read this thread: 0